Upper Elementary Book Review discussion

Kizzy Ann Stamps
This topic is about Kizzy Ann Stamps
Book of the Month > Kizzy Ann Stamps

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

ReGina (regifabulous) | 137 comments Mod
As we begin Black History Month, this is a good book for read-alouds for upper elementary to discuss desegregation and the civil rights movement. I think this is important because many children equate the ending of slavery to the civil rights movement, not recognizing the 100 years in between or understanding what happened during that time.

I think it would be great to discuss Black History Projects that could be done in connection with this book.

Kizzy Ann Stamps tells the story of a young girl who lives in Lynchburg, VA at the time of integration. The story is told through a series of letters and journal entries to her new teacher at the white school. The story is great for upper elementary students because it showcases the varying responses of both whites and blacks to integration as well as some of the obstacles that arose. A lot of kids do not have a real grasp on what occurred during that time; this story gives some real, tangible examples that get the point across. There are a few things that did not make sense to me as to why they would be journal entries because of the severe consequences they could carry if known by the wrong people (which then means kids miss that point), but I do understand that those aspects of the story needed to be told. This is a great book for 4th to 6th grade, especially since the protagonist is quite spunky and rebellious - a kid with whom most kids today can identify.

The story is told as a series of letters and journal entries from July 1, 1963 to July 1, 1964. A great Black History Month project could be to construct a timeline of events during that time (or maybe broaden it one year on each side) because you have integration happening and the varying responses to it (a lot of television clips available for that), the assassination of President Kennedy, and the other requirements of the Civil Rights Act. This is a great way to educate children about this important time as well as to improve their ability and understanding of timelines.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the recommendation--it sounds like the kind of book I like. :)

message 6: by Tamika (new)

Tamika | 7 comments Would this book be considered non fiction, Kizzy Ann Stamps.
Any other suggestions of non fiction. Quick/ fun reads to get my fourth grader into it.

This is definitely a fictional book, but it's historical fiction with some true events happening in the book (like JFK's assasination). For great, quick non-fiction books, I would check out the "Who Is..." series (Who is Milton Hershey, Who is Martin Luther King, Who is Alexander Graham Bell, etc.). The Who Is Michelle Obama book is listed under the Nonfiction Books folder so you can see what the books in the series look like. Also, if you want more historical fiction, my kids love the I Survived books (I Survived the Titanic, I Survived Gettysburg, etc.).

Raevyn wrote: "Thanks for the recommendation--it sounds like the kind of book I like. :)"

I think you will. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.