Tudor History Lovers discussion

Group Reads > Winner Chosen - Group Read for March 2015

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments What book about the Tudors or Tudor England would you like to read in March?

If you can't remember what we've already had as a group read, there's a shelf for that ("group reads") on the group's bookshelf.

Two nominations to a person.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan (suereadsbooks) I would like to nominate Crown of Thistles by Linda Porter about Mary Queen of Scots. My second nomination is Perkin by Anne Wroe about Perkin Warbeck, the pretender to the throne of Henry VII.

message 4: by Helene (new)

Helene Harrison (tudorblogger) The Boleyn Deceit by Laura Anderson (sequel to Boleyn King)

The Marriage Game: A Novel of Queen Elizabeth I by Alison Weir

message 5: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (eab2012) Murder at Hatfield House (Elizabethan Mysteries, #1) by Amanda Carmack
or
Bring Up the Bodies (Thomas Cromwell, #2) by Hilary Mantel

message 6: by Hunter (new)

Hunter Jones (huntersjones) The Marriage Game by Alison Weir The Marriage Game: A Novel of Queen Elizabeth I

message 7: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth The Marriage Game or A Dangerous Inheritance, by Alison Weir.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments A Dangerous Inheritance was our group read last April.

message 9: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Casas | 68 comments Six Wives and the many mistresses of Henry VIII by Amy Licence The Six Wives & Many Mistresses of Henry VIII The Womens' Stories by Amy Licence or lady In the Tower by Jean Plaidy The Lady in the Tower (Queens of England, #4) by Jean Plaidy

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

My vote is for Crown of Thistles by Linda Porter. This is part of the Tudor history that I am least familiar with.

message 11: by Katharine (new)

message 12: by Ariel (new)

Ariel | 19 comments I'm interested in reading more about Mary Tudor. So I nominate Mary Tudor: Princess, Bastard, Queen by Anna Whitelock

message 13: by Janina (new)

Janina I agree with Crown of Thistles, it's on my to read list and would like to learn more abour Mary Queen of Scots, reading sisters of treason at the moment.

message 14: by Janina (new)

Janina Sorry , I also nominate Crown of Thistles.

message 15: by Leslie (last edited Feb 02, 2015 04:53PM) (new)

Leslie (eserafina42) FYI - Crown of Thistles, in the US, is Tudors Versus Stewarts: The Fatal Inheritance of Mary, Queen of Scots. Naturally - gotta get that mention of the Tudors in there for those "dumb" Americans - kind of like The Children of Henry VIII instead of Children of England, to refer to another recent example. ;) I read it a few months ago and enjoyed it, but be warned a lot of it is the history leading up to Mary rather than specifically about her, although it does cover a lot of overlooked parts.

I for one was left with a new admiration of Marie of Guise, who really deserves a novel to herself but doesn't seem to have had any romance in her life, which probably puts the kibosh on that idea.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Thanks for that note, Leslie; I see the two titles are not combined, so I'll go do that, if they're the same book.

message 17: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (eserafina42) Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "Thanks for that note, Leslie; I see the two titles are not combined, so I'll go do that, if they're the same book."

Thanks - I've never done that before (combined editions, that is) - I'm sure it's pretty easy but didn't even think about it.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Yeah, it's pretty easy (assuming combine is working! isn't always).

message 19: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Casas | 68 comments In case mine don't win then I second the nomination for Crown of Thistles or Tudors vs Stewarts in the US.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments Seconding really isn't necessary.

message 21: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Day | 71 comments Her Highness, the Traitor by Susan Higginbotham

Historical fiction about Frances Grey and Jane Dudley, the mother and MIL of Jane Grey.

message 22: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (thekabbest) Hennry VIII: The King and His Court
by Alison Weir

message 23: by Karen (new)

Karen (2noelle) | 37 comments Thomas Cromwell: The rise and fall of Henry Vlll's notorious minister by Robert Hutchinson Thomas Cromwell The Rise and Fall of Henry VIII's Most Notorious Minister by Robert Hutchinson

message 24: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimcola) | 3 comments Dangerous Inheritance by Alison Weir.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments A Dangerous Inheritance was our group read last April.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments OK, I think that's enough nominations; I'll open a poll.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments The poll is open here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... or on the bottom of the home page for the group.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments It's a tie! The top two vote-getters were Sisters of Treason, by Elizabeth Freemantle, and Her Highness, the Traitor, by Susan Higginbotham.

So we'll have a runoff!

The runoff poll is here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... , or at the bottom of the group's home page.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1928 comments The winner: Her Highness, the Traitor, by Susan Higginbotham.

message 30: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthajw) | 91 comments It's a dose of Grey either way. Maybe I'll read them both.