What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Young adult book about a cat statue coming to life (ancient Egypt)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 2 comments Hi everybody,

I've been looking for over 10 years to find a book I read as a young teenager. I've read it over 15 years ago, so the details are a bit vague, but I'll do my best.

The book is about a cat statue that gets stolen from a museum that holds an exhibit on ancient Egypt. A girl befriends the cat and finds out that this cat used to be a temple cat for Bastet or something like that. She is at the risk of being framed for the statue being stolen, because it ends up in her bedroom when the cat hides from other people.
In the end the cat dies because it gets hit by a car (yes, I cried!)

I absolutely adored the book, but I forgot so much of the story. I'd love to read it again.
There may have been something about an eye either in the title or on the book cover. And there may have been something about a specific piece of jewelry in it too.
I vaguely remember the girl having a brother who was also involved in the story.

If you would be able to help me out on this one, I'd be forever in your debt.
Thanks for reading!

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 49 comments Hi there,
I don't know the book you're looking for, but wonder if it's listed on this website;

http://www.noreen-doyle.com/Egyptoman...

Hope this helps in some way :)

message 3: by Marissa (new)

Marissa | 2 comments Hi Sarah,

Thanks, for the help! I've been going over the list many times, but I just don't remember enough of the story to link it to the very short descriptions in it.
I'm hoping there is someone on here who has read the book and remembers a bit more - any information might help me remember more too.

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Cat in the Mirror possibly? Although it really isn't close to your description, thought I'd toss it into the pot, since I enjoyed it.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Marissa, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (khek) | 270 comments Maybe this one?

Dexter, Catherine. The Gilded Cat
When twelve-year-old Maggie buys a strange little statue at a yard sale, she’s surprised to discover that it’s actually a mummified cat and is drawn into a frightening world of ancient Egyptian magic.

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
The Gilded Cat by Catherine Dexter - Kelly's suggestion

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Marissa, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.