All About Animals discussion

Walking Back to Happiness
This topic is about Walking Back to Happiness
Past Group Book Discussions: > Walking Back to Happiness

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (last edited Feb 01, 2015 10:25AM) (new) - added it

Barbara (lv2scpbk) | 1256 comments Mod
Discuss "Walking Back to Happiness" by Lucy Dillon...Here:

Sofie | 86 comments I love Lucy Dillon! Her writing is so entertaining and keeps you interested. I can't wait to start reading this, has anyone else read any of her books? I've read 100 pieces of me and Lost dogs and lonely hearts, I love how all of her books always have a dog involved in them :)

message 3: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new) - added it

Sofie, I haven't read anything by this author but the book looks really good.

Sofie | 86 comments I think you will like it Barb, hope you can read it with me :)

message 5: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new) - added it

Sofie wrote: "I think you will like it Barb, hope you can read it with me :)"

I have to get it, but I will look into where I can find it cheap. Our library doesn't have it on hand.

Sofie | 86 comments Oh okay well I hope you can find it

Sofie | 86 comments Bookdepository.com always have cheap books

Sofie | 86 comments Bookdepository.com always have cheap books

message 9: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new) - added it

I just ordered it on paperbackswap.

Sofie | 86 comments Yay :) I'll start reading mine tonight

message 11: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new) - added it

Sofie wrote: "Yay :) I'll start reading mine tonight"

Okay, sounds good. I hope mine gets here quickly.

Sofie | 86 comments Barb its a bit sad, its tugging on my heartstrings already. I hope you don't cry easily like I do! Its really good so far though cant wait for you to get it so we can discuss :)

message 13: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new) - added it

I'm still waiting on my book Sofie. They said they mailed it yesterday. So, I'll be waiting a little more.

Sofie | 86 comments Have you got it yet barb?

message 15: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new) - added it

Sofie, I just got it yesterday. So, about ready to start reading it.

Sofie | 86 comments Oh great! Hope you like it! I finished it in 3 days haha

message 17: by Gail (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gail Hunter | 4 comments I've also just ordered this book, so I can join in any discussion! :)

Sofie | 86 comments That's great Gail! I was worried nobody was interested in reading this month. Let me know when you guys are into it and we can start discussing :)

Sofie | 86 comments That's great Gail! I was worried nobody was interested in reading this month. Let me know when you guys are into it and we can start discussing :)

message 20: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new) - added it

Good. I'm so happy that there will be a discussion this month.

Sofie | 86 comments I want to ask questions now but I don't want to give away any details haha

message 22: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new) - added it

Sofie wrote: "I want to ask questions now but I don't want to give away any details haha"

Go ahead if you want. We will be reading and then we can reply when we get to those parts.

Maybe someone else might be reading it too that hasn't said anything yet.

Sofie | 86 comments Okay I will :)

Do any of you have a dog who has a similar character to any of the dogs Juliet walks?

Are you or have you been a dog walker before? If so what made you like it or what did you not like about it

Do you think dogs can help individuals get over grief in a way another person could not?

message 24: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new) - added it

I can't answer the first question yet as I still need to read the book.

The 2nd question I've never walked dogs for money as a dog walker. But, have walked dogs as a volunteer at an animal shelter.

And, yes, I do believe dogs can help a person with their grief. Maybe not get over it per say, but get over the humps that comes along and to snap someone out of their sadness or depression about it.

Sofie | 86 comments I used to walk dogs for money at one point when I was a bit younger and loved doing it because most of the time these dogs never got out and it was so nice to how excited they were. One of my regulars was a chubby Labrador and coco reminds me so much of her.
I also dog walked off rescues and it was the same lovely feeling as we always walked the rescues stuck in the pound.

I agree with you Barb there is something about love from a dog that is way less complicated than the love we receive from another person it's unconditional and there no matter what mood we are in or what we have done. I think that's why Juliet needed Minton so much because he was there for her no matter what they did, I think if Juliet didn't have him with her she would have felt a lot worse as her family were always hassling her and pushing her to do things she wasn't ready to do yet

Sofie | 86 comments I used to walk dogs for money at one point when I was a bit younger and loved doing it because most of the time these dogs never got out and it was so nice to how excited they were. One of my regulars was a chubby Labrador and coco reminds me so much of her.
I also dog walked off rescues and it was the same lovely feeling as we always walked the rescues stuck in the pound.

I agree with you Barb there is something about love from a dog that is way less complicated than the love we receive from another person it's unconditional and there no matter what mood we are in or what we have done. I think that's why Juliet needed Minton so much because he was there for her no matter what they did, I think if Juliet didn't have him with her she would have felt a lot worse as her family were always hassling her and pushing her to do things she wasn't ready to do yet

Sofie | 86 comments How did you go with it Barb?

message 28: by Jami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jami (jamikap) I've read three books by this author now, and I really enjoy her books. I like how the characters from the other books make small cameo reappearances.

In response to the quedstion about dogs helping you get over grief in a way humans cannot, I absolutely say yes. I have an 18 year old shih-tzu, and I turned to her to help me get thru the loss of a family member and other animals. Not only having her presence and personality there, but knowing she still had her needs for walks and food and care to be met, kept me going.

Sofie | 86 comments I know Jamie I love Lucy Dillon she's a brilliant writer and touches on a lot of issues that I feel like people, especially women should really read about.

That's such a great way of looking at the problems with getting through grief, I suppose a dog will always have it's needs no matter what we are going through and that would really ground you again. Thanks so much for sharing your stories, it's so good to know what people have gone through and how they deal with such difficult issues

Sofie | 86 comments *Jami sorry

message 31: by Jami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jami (jamikap) Sofie wrote: "I know Jamie I love Lucy Dillon she's a brilliant writer and touches on a lot of issues that I feel like people, especially women should really read about.

That's such a great way of looking at t..."

I also read Lost Dogs & Lonely Hearts and Secret of Happy Ever After.

Sofie | 86 comments Lost dogs and lonely hearts is my favourite :)

message 33: by Jami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jami (jamikap) Sofie wrote: "Lost dogs and lonely hearts is my favourite :)"

That was my favorite too. I didn't care for the Secret of Happy Ever After as much as the prior books, but it wa still good.

Sofie | 86 comments Have you read 100 pieces of me? That's her newest book it's really good. She has another one coming out in April I can't wait for as well. Yeah I found the secret of happy ever after a bit hard to follow there were so many stories going on at once

message 35: by Jami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jami (jamikap) Sofie wrote: "Have you read 100 pieces of me? That's her newest book it's really good. She has another one coming out in April I can't wait for as well. Yeah I found the secret of happy ever after a bit hard to ..."

I haven't read that one yet, but it is on my tbr. I want to get to it before it gets buried by other books!!!! I didn't realize she had another one in April - I need to get reading!