Past Group Book Discussions: > The Life and Opinions of Housecat Hastings

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new) - added it

Barbara (lv2scpbk) | 1257 comments Mod
Discuss "The Life and Opinions of Housecat Hastings"
by Harrison Bae Wein here:

message 2: by Harrison (last edited Feb 04, 2015 04:34AM) (new) - added it

Harrison Wein (harrisonbaewein) | 6 comments I'm the author, and am available for any questions or discussion as people get into the book. Hope you all enjoy it.

message 3: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new) - added it

Thanks Harrison. I think this is one that really looks good. I'm not usually a cat reader. I'm more of a dog reader. I like cats but don't read about them.

However, this one has really peaked my interest. I just got to go out and find one to buy.

message 4: by Harrison (new) - added it

Harrison Wein (harrisonbaewein) | 6 comments It's also available as an ebook, which is quicker to get and less expensive. Goodreads lists it separately: The Life and Opinions of the Housecat Hastings.

Debra Sambuco | 1 comments Harrison, is Hastings based on a real cat?

message 6: by Harrison (last edited Feb 24, 2015 10:38AM) (new) - added it

Harrison Wein (harrisonbaewein) | 6 comments Debra wrote: "Harrison, is Hastings based on a real cat?"

Yes, absolutely. Strangely, I've had people tell me with much authority that cats aren't like this. But cats, like people, all have their own personalities. Our other cats have been quite different.

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Smith | 8 comments Hi Harrison: Did you have to do any research before writing from a cat's point of view? Or is the book based on your observations of your cats?

message 8: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new) - added it

I agree. I think that all animals have their own personalities and even their own quirks.

message 9: by Harrison (new) - added it

Harrison Wein (harrisonbaewein) | 6 comments Robert wrote: "Hi Harrison: Did you have to do any research before writing from a cat's point of view? Or is the book based on your observations of your cats?"

I really tried to capture Hastings' personality in the book, so most of it is based on years of living with him. It was so hard to figure out where he was coming from sometimes. He was our first cat, so we did read a bunch of books trying to figure him out.

message 10: by Harrison (new) - added it

Harrison Wein (harrisonbaewein) | 6 comments I answered a question here a couple of months ago about how I came to write this book from an animal's point of view: https://www.goodreads.com/questions/1....