Star Wars Reads Panel discussion

Star Wars Topics > which is better? Star Wars or Star Trek?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Riley (new)

Riley (rileyrooruff) | 5 comments I say star wars.

message 2: by John (new)

John Long (thecaliforniakid) | 50 comments I like both, but I'll always choose Star Trek. And I'll always prefer the original versions, too.

message 3: by Riley (new)

Riley (rileyrooruff) | 5 comments I really like both, however I like the fantasy aspect of star wars more then that of star trek. Both are super cook, but star wars is more out of this world. (he he)

message 4: by John (new)

John Long (thecaliforniakid) | 50 comments Yes, it sure is. And they're both out of time, so to speak.

message 5: by Riley (new)

Riley (rileyrooruff) | 5 comments Totally

message 6: by Joseph (last edited Feb 03, 2015 09:10AM) (new)

Joseph Nicholson | 27 comments I don't even think they're comparable. One takes place in our galaxy, the other in a galaxy far, far away. One takes place a long time ago, and one in the future. If we want to go with chicken/egg argument, then chances are very likely that without Star Trek, we may have never had Star Wars. Gene Roddenberry paved the way for science fiction in pop culture. Without his contributions, George Lucas may have never had a chance. I have watched both since I was just a wee lad and love them both for very different reasons. Star Trek is the epitome of Science Fiction. It takes place in the future with futuristic technologies that have accurately predicted our future tech for decades (calculators, cell phone, tablets, etc...). Star Wars is more fantasy with a sci-fi twist, I would say. The Force in and of itself is magical by nature and the similarities between Star Wars and Arthurian Legend are hard to ignore, to say the least. And let's face it, their sub-genres are COMPLETELY different. Star Trek is definitely more of a drama where as Star Wars is more of an action/adventure. We're really comparing apples to oranges. They're both amazing, they both changed the way the world looked at sci-fi and pushed the envelope in special effects for the last 49 years (yes, Star Trek is 49 years old. Crazy, right?).
That's my 2 cents, anyway.

message 7: by Lynx (new)

Lynx | 31 comments Joseph wrote: "I don't even think they're comparable. One takes place in our galaxy, the other in a galaxy far, far away. One takes place a long time ago, and one in the future. If we want to go with chicken/egg ..."

I agree with what you're saying. That said, you can still have a fruit preference. I like them both equally, although I do believe that the quality of Star Trek is better. For some reason, that doesn't tip the scale for me, and I'm still a huge Star Wars fan. I'm one of those sci-fi hippies who likes Star Wars AND Star Trek.

message 8: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Nicholson | 27 comments Lynx wrote: "Joseph wrote: "I don't even think they're comparable. One takes place in our galaxy, the other in a galaxy far, far away. One takes place a long time ago, and one in the future. If we want to go wi..."

I am too. They're both great for what they are! I don't get those who are rabbidly leaning one way or the other, but I'm a straight up nerd to nth degree!

message 9: by Riley (new)

Riley (rileyrooruff) | 5 comments Both are awesome.