Space Opera Fans discussion

Fire Season (Honorverse: Stephanie Harrington, #2)
This topic is about Fire Season
Honorverse > Fire Season by David Weber

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited Feb 01, 2015 10:16AM) (new) - added it

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Greetings Space Opera Fans!

By the luck of the Randomizer, Book 2 of the Stephanie Harrington YA series Fire Season has won our YOUNG ADULT FRIENDLY slot for February. With a sensible, fearless teenage girl protagonist and a SENTIENT 6-LEGGED ALIEN CAT, this YA-Friendly pick will make you look AWESOME when you drop this First Contact scenario casually into conversation.

[*cue to bored tween pausing mid eye-roll, suddenly interested in what you have to say*]

Fire Season (Honorverse Stephanie Harrington, #2) by David Weber David Weber

"Fire in the forest—and a cry for help from a trapped and desperate alien mother! Unfortunately, this is one cry no human can hear. Stephanie Harrington, precocious fourteen-year-old Provisional Forest Ranger on the planet Sphinx, knows something is wrong from the uneasy emotion that is flooding into her from her treecat friend, Climbs Quickly. But though Stephanie's alien comrade shares a tight bond with his two legs, he cannot communicate directly to her the anguished call from one of his people.

Still, their strong and direct bond of feeling may be enough. Stephanie and fellow ranger Karl Zivonik respond to Climbs Quickly's rising waves of distress. Fire season on the pioneer world of Sphinx has begun. But there are those who want to use the natural cycle of the planet for personal gain—and to get rid of the one obstacle that stands in the way of acquiring even greater land and power on Sphinx: the native treecats.

Now it's up to Stephanie and Climbs Quickly, along with their friends, family, and allies to prevent disaster and injustice from befalling a treecat clan. But in the process Stephanie must be certain to preserve the greatest secret of all. It is the knowledge that the treecats of Sphinx are not merely pets or servants, but are highly intelligent in their own right—that they are a species fully deserving of rights, respect, and freedom. And keeping the secret that will allow the treecats time to develop a mutually beneficial relationship with humankind.

It all begins with the friendship of a girl and her treecat..."

Okay ... who's reading Fire Season? Shout it out in the discussion thread below, tell us what you think, and drop in links to your reviews. Remember ... be kind and use the SPOILER .html if you drop hints so it doesn't spoil the fun for somebody who isn't as far along as you are!

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'm definitely reading it.

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
I read it right after it came out. Here is my review. I will definitely read it again, but maybe not this month.

message 4: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) I already bought all three books in the series so will be reading it before handing it down to Tween and Squiggle.

message 5: by Steph (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 302 comments I confess I'm not reading it. I'm totally new to David Weber (despite being a sci-fi reader for (gulp) over thirty years), so I've started with On Basilisk Station instead. I'm finding the writing a bit clunky, but the story's reeling me in.

message 6: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica  (jessical1961) Yeah! I had some trouble getting through On Basilisk Station too, but by the time I was done with it I enjoyed it enough to give it 4 stars. Now I reading the 3rd book in the series The Short Victorious War and they seem to be getting better as the series goes on.

message 7: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) I've started reading because I want to find out what happens with Climbs Quickly, but I'm forever strapped for time! At least I feel good about buying the books either way because my 13-year-old is now devouring the first book in the series which I recently finished. Clunkily written or not, Stephanie Harrington is the kind of sci-fi heroine I want my YA tween daughters reading!

message 8: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte McGary (charlottemcgary) | 2 comments I read "Fire Season" when it first came out. I loved it. In fact, there hasn't been a David Weber sci-fi book I haven't liked.

Fiannawolf | 163 comments I loved this whole trilogy. Its a good pick to get the scholastic age into sci fi. Plus treecats always make people happy.

message 10: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Fiannawolf wrote: "Plus treecats always make people happy."

Yeah ... sentient, psychic cats ... kinda hard to go wrong with that one :-)

message 11: by Anna (last edited Feb 17, 2015 05:00AM) (new) - added it

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) description

One of the things that is impressing me about this story from a 'first contact' situation is the way Stephanie and Climbs Quickly don't immediately overcome their communication problems. This is the second book in the series and Stephanie has only rudimentarily begun to recognize that her treecat impacts her mood, while Climbs Quickly is struggling to make 'mouth sounds' to enhance his psychic ability to communicate.

We discussed first contact at ARISIA in the context of human/dolphin communications (two sentient species with different ways of experiencing the world) being a 'test run' for a potential human/alien first contact situation, so I'm finding the characters difficulties to be especially credible (like good science fiction should be).

I burst out laughing when Climbs Quickly thought "car ... a sound so very like 'Karl' that the similarity confused him for a while..." It reminded me of my failed attempt to learn Mandarin Chinese many years ago :-)

message 12: by Anna (last edited Feb 17, 2015 05:12AM) (new) - added it

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) And here is an interesting blog review I read of the three short stories which inspired this series. It helps me understand why Book 1 had some strange (annoying) infodumps of backstory ... they each came from one of David Weber's original short stories, two of which were woven into Book 1. The links to the three original short stories are non-functional, but the review summarizes them nicely.

REVIEW of Short Stories with Links: http://www.teleread.com/ebooks/e-book...

So far Book 2 doesn't have the strange infodumps of backstory (not much anyways) so I am enjoying it more than Book 1. I'm all for expanding compelling short stories into a full-length book, but a short story has to build a universe in a few pages, while a book has room for more subtlety to bring that backstory out through action.