Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Monthly/Seasonal Challenges > February: The Amazing Hemispheric Race

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Dec 31, 2019 05:22PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod

Choose a hemisphere and race the course. Decide between skiing down a hill or racing across the sandy desert while avoiding each obstacle by reading a book specific to hazard.

Duration: 1 Feb - 28 Feb

Rules:

Step 1: Decide which side of the world you want your challenge to be on. (Ski or Sand)
Step 2: Decide your level of challenge and pick a number of books.
Step 3: Go to http://www.random.org/integers/ and generate that many random numbers between 1 and 10.
Step 4: Read books in order that satisfy the conditions to avoid that obstacle.

Levels:
Ski
Bunny Hill - 1-5 Books
Green Circle - Beginner Slope - 6-10 Books
Blue Square - Intermediate Slope - 11-15 Books
Black Diamond - Difficult Slope - 16-20 Books
Double Black Diamond - Expert Slope - 21+ Books

Sand
On Foot - 1-5 Books
Camel - Beginner Slope - 6-10 Books
Dune Buggy - Intermediate Slope - 11-15 Books
Race Car - Difficult Slope - 16-20 Books
Space Ship - Expert Slope - 21+ Books

Obstacles for Snow:
(view spoiler)

Obstacles for Sand:
(view spoiler)

Cheat Codes:
OutOfOrder - Allows obstacles to be avoided out of order
Replace - Allows one of the obstacles to be replaced with another one

Example:
8 - Snow - Storm Front (Storm in title)
4 - Tree - Northern Lights (Main character lives out of town in the middle of nowhere)
3 - Gates - A Clash of Kings (part of a series)
5 - Fall - A Quick Bite (main character is a doctor)
4 - Tree - The Road (main characters travelling outside most of story)
7 - Stunt - Thrill Me to Death (Thrill in title)

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Dec 31, 2019 05:22PM) (new)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

message 5: by Michelle (last edited Mar 03, 2015 09:41AM) (new)

Michelle | 2801 comments Feb 1-28

Completed 7/10

Ok..I think I get this

I'm going with Ski and Green Circle - Beginner Slope - 6-10 Books

The numbers generated were

2 - Dead of Night 2/25/15
10 - The Maze Runner 2/11
3 - Mutated # 3 in The Dead World Series 2/15
3 - Lies # 3 in the Gone Series 2/9
2 - Blood Soaked and Contagious - Frank is the character with a bumpy road ahead of him - 2/5
1 - The Lightning Thief - large expanse of sky on the cover - 2/17
1 - Escape - Large Expanse of Sky - 2/20

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2801 comments I had several of the numbers repeat themselves. Is that ok?

Do we have to go in order?

message 7: by Delta (last edited Feb 16, 2015 09:31AM) (new)

Delta (sicname) I will try for Sand: Camel - Beginner Slope - 6-10 Books
This looks like fun. I'm using cheat code Replace on two numbers just so I can do all of the obstacles.

10 - Ants In Pants - Read a book where one of the characters is very annoying.
The Serpent of Venice read 2/2
(view spoiler)
1 - Slippery Dunes - Read a book that takes place in winter or has lots of ice.
The Martian read 2/3
(view spoiler)
7 - No Fuel - Read a book where a main character mentions being hungry.
Q & A read 2/3
(view spoiler)
6 - Sand Storm - Read a book where the main character is blind either physically or metaphorically.
The Silver Linings Playbook read 2/4
(view spoiler)
9 - Mirage - Read a book where one of the characters is not who he or she originally seems.
The Ocean at the End of the Lane read 2/6
(view spoiler)
8 - Quick Sand - Read a book where the main character is sucked into a situation by someone else.
The Wonder of All Things read 2/6
(view spoiler)
3 - Flat Tire - Read a book where a character makes an unintended stop.
Zombie, Ohio read 2/9
(view spoiler)
4 - Heat Stroke - Read a book where a main character is very sick.
Infected read 2/12
(view spoiler)
5 - Camel Migration - Read a book featuring animals.
The Zookeeper's Wife: A War Story read 2/13
(view spoiler)
2 - Getting Lost - Read a book where something or someone is lost or must be rescued.
American Gods read 2/15
(view spoiler)

message 8: by Shauna (last edited Feb 01, 2015 11:25AM) (new)

Shauna Ski - Bunny Hill (1 - 5 books)

Tasks:
1: Aerial - Read a book with a large expanse of sky on the front, a book about flying or airplanes or one with a word about the sky or air in the title.

4: Tree - Read a book where a main character likes to be outdoors or spends a lot of time outdoors, a book with trees on the cover or one with a nature term in the title.

9: Yard Sale - Read a book where someone moves houses or changes something big in their life.

3: Gates - Read a book that's part of a series, a book with gates on the cover or one that has a word about gates or goals in the title.

3: Gates - Read a book that's part of a series, a book with gates on the cover or one that has a word about gates or goals in the title.

message 9: by Kay Kay (last edited Feb 18, 2015 06:54PM) (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Ok, I'll try I got 2 8 3 3 6 for the bunny hill

2 Unravel Me
8 Bone, Vol. 1: Out from Boneville
3 Bone, Vol. 2: The Great Cow Race
3 Bone, Vol. 3: Eyes of the Storm
6 The Bone Collector

message 10: by Alleluialu (last edited Feb 19, 2015 09:25AM) (new)

Alleluialu I'll give it a go. I'll take Ski and the numbers for the Bunny Hill are: 5, 6, 10, 2, 7

5 - Fall:
6 - New Skier: "Enlightened" by A.L. Waddington 2/3/15
10 - Sitting Snowboarder: "Stuck in the Middle" by Virginia Smith
2 - Mogul: "Girl on the Cliff" by Lucinda Riley 2/17/15
7 - Stunt:

message 11: by Maureen (last edited Jun 06, 2020 12:39PM) (new)

Maureen (ryrou) | 36 comments The Amazing Hemispheric Race Challenge
February 1, 2015 - February 28, 2015
1/5

Level: Bunny Hill

7 - Stunt:
Read a book where the cover is almost entirely in one color.
Boy Meets Boy (16/02)
Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan

3 - Gates:
Read a book that's part of a series.
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You

7 - Stunt:
Read a book where a main character is a thrill seeker, where the cover is almost entirely in one color or the title has a word about stunts or dare-devils in the title.

2 - Mogul:
Read a book where a main character has a bumpy path, a book with hills on the cover or one that with a word about bumps, hills or mountains in the title.

6 - New Skier:
Read a book where a main character is trying to learn something new or is bad at what they're trying to do, or a book that has a word about new or beginnings in the title.

message 12: by bee (last edited Feb 21, 2015 06:09AM) (new)

bee (tularula789) I'm going for Ski and Blue Square! ;)

3 - Gates - Read a book that's part of a series, a book with gates on the cover or one that has a word about gates or goals in the title. Execution- Part of a series

1 - Aerial - Read a book with a large expanse of sky on the front, a book about flying or airplanes or one with a word about the sky or air in the title. The Girl Who Could Fly-Large expanse of sky on the cover.

10 - Sitting Snowboarder - Read a book where someone is stalled in life or gets stuck somewhere.>The Night Gardener-Gets stuck somewhere

3- Gates - Read a book that's part of a series, a book with gates on the cover or one that has a word about gates or goals in the title.Dawn-Part of a series

9 - Yard Sale - Read a book where someone moves houses or changes something big in their life.Red Wolf- Both! :)

7 - Stunt - Read a book where a main character is a thrill seeker, where the cover is almost entirely in one colour or the title has a word about stunts or dare-devils in the title.End of Days-Cover is almost entirely one colour

8- Snow - Read a book where the weather plays a part in moving the story forward, where the cover has a storm or snowstorm on it or the title has a word about extreme weather.The Lightning Catcher-The weather plays a part in moving the story forward.

3 - Gates - Read a book that's part of a series, a book with gates on the cover or one that has a word about gates or goals in the title.The City of Ember-The cover is almost entirely one colour

7 - Stunt - Read a book where a main character is a thrill seeker, where the cover is almost entirely in one colour or the title has a word about stunts or dare-devils in the title.The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon-Main character is a thrill seeker

9 - Yard Sale - Read a book where someone moves houses or changes something big in their life. The Hidden Agenda of Sigrid Sugden- Changes something big in their lives

2 - Mogul - Read a book where a main character has a bumpy path, a book with hills on the cover or one that with a word about bumps, hills or mountains in the title. Striker-Has a bumpy path

Cheatcode: OutOfOrder

message 13: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Michelle wrote: "I had several of the numbers repeat themselves. Is that ok?

Do we have to go in order?"

Numbers that repeat are fine.

You go in order to do the original challenge but you can make it easier by using one of the "CheatCodes" to lower the difficulty.

message 14: by Betty (last edited Mar 24, 2015 10:40PM) (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) description

SKI-BUNNY HILL (5 BKS) -- COMPLETED MARCH 24, 2015.

My numbers are:

8 Death Of A River Guide
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
A storm and subsequent flooding causes tragedy for the whitewater rafters on a wild Tasmanian river.

6 A Constellation of Vital Phenomena
The character Akhmed is a doctor but is queasy at the sight of blood and isn't very good at the physical practice of doctoring; nevertheless, the minimally staffed wartime hospital needs his help. He's more talented as an artist drawing portraits.

3 Sacred Games
The series name is 'Mysteries of Ancient Greece'. To date, there are five books published in this series. Sacred Games is the third of the five.

3 The Marathon Conspiracy
The fourth book in the 'Mysteries of Ancient Greece' series

4 The Man Who Loved Children
A book with trees on the cover.

message 15: by Emily (last edited Mar 31, 2015 01:08PM) (new)

Emily I'm in. And since I'm in New England and when I look out my window all I see is about 3.5 feet of snow, I'm going to go with Ski.

Attempting Green Circle (6-10 books)

Cheat Codes: OutOfOrder

Edit: I can tell I'm going to fall a little short, so I'll be using an Extension Gift Card in order to give me one more month to finish. (This is Gift Card 1 out of 3.)

description

Start Date: February 1, 2015
End Date: February 28, 2015 March 31, 2015
Read: 8/10

My generated numbers are:

✔ 8. Snow - Read a book where the weather plays a part in moving the story forward, where the cover has a storm or snowstorm on it or the title has a word about extreme weather. All the Bright Places - 2/12/15 - (view spoiler)

✔ 10. Sitting Snowboarder - Read a book where someone is stalled in life or gets stuck somewhere. The Jaguar's Children - 2/24/15 - the main character literally gets stuck in a water tanker while trying to cross the U.S./Mexico border.

9. Yard Sale - Read a book where someone moves houses or changes something big in their life.

✔3. Gates - Read a book that's part of a series, a book with gates on the cover or one that has a word about gates or goals in the title. The Well of Lost Plots - 3/31/15 - book #3 in the Thursday Next series

✔ 4. Tree - Read a book where a main character likes to be outdoors or spends a lot of time outdoors, a book with trees on the cover or one with a nature term in the title. The Girl With All the Gifts - 2/8/2015 - the main character, Melanie, loves the outdoors.

✔ 4. Tree - Read a book where a main character likes to be outdoors or spends a lot of time outdoors, a book with trees on the cover or one with a nature term in the title. The Magician King - 2/14/15 - tree on cover: The Magician King (The Magicians, #2) by Lev Grossman

2. Mogul - Read a book where a main character has a bumpy path, a book with hills on the cover or one that with a word about bumps, hills or mountains in the title.

✔7. Stunt - Read a book where a main character is a thrill seeker, where the cover is almost entirely in one color or the title has a word about stunts or dare-devils in the title. The Damned - 3/22/15 - all black cover: The Damned by Andrew Pyper

✔ 5. Fall - Read a book where a main character has an injury or is a medical professional or one that has a word about injuries or healing in the title. The Lost World - 3/5/15 - most of the main characters get injured before the end.

✔4. Tree - Read a book where a main character likes to be outdoors or spends a lot of time outdoors, a book with trees on the cover or one with a nature term in the title. Station Eleven - 3/27/15 - the main character is part of a Traveling Symphony that travels from town to town, living outdoors.

message 16: by ♣Tessa♣ (last edited Feb 13, 2015 07:44AM) (new)

♣Tessa♣ | 20 comments This one looks fun too - hopefully I can manage both this and the 50 shades one. ;)

I'll start with.... snow aaaaand Bunny Sloping it up with 3...? Yeah that works.....Ooookaaaay.

My randoms: 8 1 3
8. Snow - Winter Fall by Byron Tucker Winter Fall ('winter' in title, about super volcano causing ice age) -*(2/7/15)
1. Aerial - Blackout by Tim Curran Blackout (Large portion of sky on the cover)-*(2/8/15)
3. Gates - The Gate by Kevin John Windorf The Gate - self explanatory ;) -*(2/12/15)

Read: 3/3
YAY! Challenge DONE :)

message 17: by Melissa (ladybug) (last edited Mar 20, 2015 05:24PM) (new)

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 1030 comments NBRC: The Amazing Hemispheric Race Challenge
Level: Ski: Bunny Hill; Read: 5/5
I am going to use one of my cards to extend this challenge till March 31, 2015

Going to use my Replace cheat for #10. I am replacing it with #6 New Skier

03: Gates: Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict **** 2/10/15 (part of a series)
10: Cheat Code: Replace
06: New Skier: UnEnchanted *** 2/15/15 (Main character is bad at what she is trying to do.)
09: Yard Sale: The Pulse: Episode 1 - An EMP Prepper Survival Tale *** 2/18/15
05: Fall The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry *** 2/27/15 (Main character has depression. Book is about him learning to really live again)
07: Stunt Five Children and It *** 3/18/15 (Cover all one color)

The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict by Trenton Lee Stewart UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1) by Chanda Hahn The Pulse Episode 1- An EMP Prepper Survival Tale (The Pulse An EMP Prepper Survival Tale Book 2) by Roger Hayden The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin Five Children and It by E. Nesbit

message 18: by ❀Tea❀ (last edited Feb 03, 2015 02:11PM) (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Welcome to the challenge Asma, Kate, Stephanie & Melissa ☺

And welcome to the group Asma and Stephanie!

message 19: by Betty (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) ❀Tea❀ wrote: "Welcome to the challenge Asma, Kate, Stephanie & Melissa ☺..."

A great challenge, and I'm already into the next numbered book that fits the theme of learning...the title and review to be soon divulged.

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 1030 comments Thank you :)

message 21: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Asma wrote: "❀Tea❀ wrote: "Welcome to the challenge Asma, Kate, Stephanie & Melissa ☺..."

A great challenge, and I'm already into the next numbered book that fits the theme of learning...the title and review t..."

Glad you guys are enjoying the race :)

message 22: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited Feb 06, 2015 12:40AM) (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments NBRC: The Amazing Hemispheric Race Challenge
Level: Ski: Bunny Hill
Read: 5/5

5 - Fall - Read a book where a main character has an injury or is a medical professional or one that has a word about injuries or healing in the title
Book: Save My Soul (Save My Soul, #1) by K.S. Haigwood Save My Soul by K.S. Haigwood
Date Read: 2/1/15
Rating: 3 Stars

2 - Mogul - Read a book where a main character has a bumpy path, a book with hills on the cover or one that with a word about bumps, hills or mountains in the title.
Book: Story of O by Pauline Réage Story of O by Pauline Réage
Date Read: 2/4/15
Rating: 5 Stars.

10 - Sitting Snowboarder - Read a book where someone is stalled in life or gets stuck somewhere.
Book: Joyland by Stephen King Joyland by Stephen King
Date Read: 2/3/15
Rating: 4 Stars.

3 - Gates - Read a book that's part of a series, a book with gates on the cover or one that has a word about gates or goals in the title.
Book: Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher Storm Front by Jim Butcher
Date Read: 2/3/15
Rating: 3 Stars

7 - Stunt - Read a book where a main character is a thrill seeker, where the cover is almost entirely in one color or the title has a word about stunts or dare-devils in the title.
Book: Born of Night (The League, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Born of Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon Character: Nykyrian Quikiades (thrill seeker)
Date Read: 2/5/15
Rating: 4 Stars

message 23: by ♣Tessa♣ (new)

♣Tessa♣ | 20 comments ❀Tea❀ wrote: "Welcome to the challenge Asma, Kate, Stephanie & Melissa ☺

And welcome to the group Asma and Stephanie!"

Thanks! :)

message 24: by Kelly (last edited Feb 24, 2015 07:44PM) (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments The Amazing Hemispheric Race Challenge
2/11

Going to go for 11 books and try for them in order :)

5 - Fall - Read a book where a main character has an injury or is a medical professional or one that has a word about injuries or healing in the title.
Hard to Hold on To Laura Kaye 2/7/15 - Jenna has PTSD and bruises from previous kidnapping

7 - Stunt - Read a book where a main character is a thrill seeker, where the cover is almost entirely in one color or the title has a word about stunts or dare-devils in the title.
Silent Truth (B.A.D. Agency, #4) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Silent Truth Sherrilyn Kenyon 2/21/15 - all green cover

8 - Snow - Read a book where the weather plays a part in moving the story forward, where the cover has a storm or snowstorm on it or the title has a word about extreme weather.
Sugarplums and Scandal (Includes Love at Stake, #2.5) by Lori Avocato Sugarplums and Scandal various 2/24/15 - snow on cover

1 - Aerial - Read a book with a large expanse of sky on the front, a book about flying or airplanes or one with a word about the sky or air in the title.

1 - Aerial - Read a book with a large expanse of sky on the front, a book about flying or airplanes or one with a word about the sky or air in the title.

10 - Sitting Snowboarder - Read a book where someone is stalled in life or gets stuck somewhere.

5 - Fall - Read a book where a main character has an injury or is a medical professional or one that has a word about injuries or healing in the title.

8 - Snow - Read a book where the weather plays a part in moving the story forward, where the cover has a storm or snowstorm on it or the title has a word
about extreme weather.

8 - Snow - Read a book where the weather plays a part in moving the story forward, where the cover has a storm or snowstorm on it or the title has a word about extreme weather.

message 25: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Welcome to the challenge Rachel & Kelly ☺

message 26: by Suzanne (last edited Feb 27, 2015 06:45AM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1123 comments Novel Books & Reading Challenges
The Amazing Hemispheric Race Challenge
Duration:
2/1/2015 - 2/28/2015

Progress: 5 out of 5

Since it's freezing where I'm at, I'll be doing Sand!

Obstacles for Sand:

• 1 - Slippery Dunes - Read a book that takes place in winter or has lots of ice
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin - ***** - 2/1/2015

• 2 - Getting Lost - Read a book where something or someone is lost or must be rescued.

• 3 - Flat Tire - Read a book where a character makes an unintended stop
Saga Deluxe Edition, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan - ***** - 2/21/2015

• 4 - Heat Stroke - Read a book where a main character is very sick.
• 5 - Camel Migration - Read a book featuring animals.
• 6 - Sand Storm - Read a book where the main character is blind either physically or metaphorically.
• 7 - No Fuel - Read a book where a main character mentions being hungry.

• 8 - Quick Sand - Read a book where the main character is sucked into a situation by someone else
Jemima J by Jane Green - ***** - 2/18/2015

• 9 - Mirage - Read a book where one of the characters is not who he or she originally seems
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - **** - 2/22/2015

• 10 - Ants In Pants - Read a book where one of the characters is very annoying
Nefertiti by Michelle Moran - *** - 2/26/2015

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin Jemima J by Jane Green Saga Deluxe Edition, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern Nefertiti by Michelle Moran

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 1030 comments I have a question? How do you use the cheat codes? :)

message 28: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Melissa (ladybug) wrote: "I have a question? How do you use the cheat codes? :)"

Just mention that you want to use them :) They're just a way for people to adjust difficulty to a level that's fun for them.

message 29: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Delta wrote: "Updated message #7.

Completed 10/10"

Congratz!

message 30: by Amanda (last edited Feb 20, 2015 02:08PM) (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments Ok...I finally decided to jump in on this one before I lose my chance.

Duration: 2/1/15- 2/28/15
Ski - Bunny Hill: 1-5 books
Completed: 5/5

4) Unbearable Desire
1) Princess Academy
1) When a Rake Falls
8) Instant Attraction
3) Never Surrender to a Scoundrel

Unbearable Desire (Lone Pine Pride, #4) by Vivi Andrews Princess Academy (Princess Academy, #1) by Shannon Hale When a Rake Falls (The Rake's Handbook, #2) by Sally Orr Instant Attraction (Wilder, #1) by Jill Shalvis Never Surrender to a Scoundrel (One Scandalous Season, #3) by Lily Dalton

message 31: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Welcome to the challenge Amanda ☺

You can always use gift card if you're out of time :P

message 32: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments All done!

This has been a great reading month for me. I think I was stuck in a rut and needed some variety.

message 33: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Congrats ☺

message 34: by bee (new)

bee (tularula789) I'm finished!!! :)

message 35: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Congrats Tularula789! ☺

message 36: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 1 comments I really really really wanna try this challenge it looks so fun but I'm confused on where find the list of obstacles...ummm let's say for example my random numbers were 1 2 3...where do I find what type of books to read for each number. I'm new the group and kinda lost so any assistance would be greatly appreciated... thank you

message 37: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments Once you decide whether to do sand or snow, look at the top of the page in the challenge description. You'll see "Obstacles for Snow" and "Obstacles for Sand".
Click on the spoilers under each to see the list of obstacles.

message 38: by ♣Tessa♣ (new)

♣Tessa♣ | 20 comments Jackie, to add onto what Amanda said - you have to be on a computer.
You can't see the "spoiler" that hides the obstacles on the mobile app. That may be why you can't see them.

message 39: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments If you can't get to them because of your device post your numbers and someone else can let you know your obstacles.

message 40: by Barbara ★ (last edited Mar 07, 2015 03:16PM) (new)

Barbara ★ I figured I better post this before I forget or it gets too late. It's been a hell of a month.

SKI - Green Circle - Beginner Slope - 6-10 Books

READ: 9/9

Random Numbers: 3,3,9,7,4,9,2,7,1

✔3 - Gates - Read a book that's part of a series, a book with gates on the cover or one that has a word about gates or goals in the title.
Absolution (Penton Legacy, #2) by Susannah Sandlin Absolution - Susannah Sandlin (Penton Legacy #2) 2/5

✔3 - Gates - Read a book that's part of a series, a book with gates on the cover or one that has a word about gates or goals in the title.
Wicked as She Wants (Blud, #2) by Delilah S. Dawson Wicked as She Wants - Delilah Dawson (Blud #2) 2/6

✔9 - Yard Sale - Read a book where someone moves houses or changes something big in their life.
Shaedes of Gray (Shaede Assassin, #1) by Amanda Bonilla Shaedes of Gray - Amanda Bonilla 2/8

✔7 - Stunt - Read a book where a main character is a thrill seeker, where the cover is almost entirely in one color or the title has a word about stunts or dare-devils in the title.
Her Sky Cowboy (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #1) by Beth Ciotta Her Sky Cowboy - Beth Ciotta 2/13

✔4 - Tree - Read a book where a main character likes to be outdoors or spends a lot of time outdoors, a book with trees on the cover or one with a nature term in the title.
Hidden Currents (Drake Sisters, #7) by Christine Feehan Hidden Currents - Christine Feehan 2/21

✔9 - Yard Sale - Read a book where someone moves houses or changes something big in their life.
White Trash Zombie Apocalypse (White Trash Zombie, #3) by Diana Rowland White Trash Zombie Apocalypse - Diana Rowland (house lost in a flood) 2/25

✔2 - Mogul - Read a book where a main character has a bumpy path, a book with hills on the cover or one that with a word about bumps, hills or mountains in the title.
Captured by the Pirate Laird (Highland Force, #1) by Amy Jarecki Captured by the Pirate Laird - Amy Jarecki (heroine is captured by pirates) 2/25

✔7 - Stunt - Read a book where a main character is a thrill seeker, where the cover is almost entirely in one color or the title has a word about stunts or dare-devils in the title.
Candy Cane Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9.5) by Joanne Fluke Candy Cane Murder - Joanna Fluke 2/26

✔1 - Aerial - Read a book with a large expanse of sky on the front, a book about flying or airplanes or one with a word about the sky or air in the title.
Seraphina (Seraphina, #1) by Rachel Hartman Seraphina - Rachel Hartman 2/28

CHALLENGE COMPLETE

message 41: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1123 comments Done!

Progress: 5 out of 5

Since it's freezing where I'm at, I'll be doing Sand!

Obstacles for Sand:

• 1 - Slippery Dunes - Read a book that takes place in winter or has lots of ice
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin - ***** - 2/1/2015

• 2 - Getting Lost - Read a book where something or someone is lost or must be rescued.

• 3 - Flat Tire - Read a book where a character makes an unintended stop
Saga Deluxe Edition, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan - ***** - 2/21/2015

• 4 - Heat Stroke - Read a book where a main character is very sick.
• 5 - Camel Migration - Read a book featuring animals.
• 6 - Sand Storm - Read a book where the main character is blind either physically or metaphorically.
• 7 - No Fuel - Read a book where a main character mentions being hungry.

• 8 - Quick Sand - Read a book where the main character is sucked into a situation by someone else
Jemima J by Jane Green - ***** - 2/18/2015

• 9 - Mirage - Read a book where one of the characters is not who he or she originally seems
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - **** - 2/22/2015

• 10 - Ants In Pants - Read a book where one of the characters is very annoying
Nefertiti by Michelle Moran - *** - 2/26/2015

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin Jemima J by Jane Green Saga Deluxe Edition, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern Nefertiti by Michelle Moran

message 42: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Congrats Barbara (if that means you're done :)) and Suzanne ☺

message 43: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2801 comments Completed 7/10 in Post 5

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 1030 comments would a character who has a mental injury work for "Fall"? Main character in my book lost his wife, and he gave up and was drinking himself out of his business and life.

message 45: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments I think depression counts as an illness.

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) | 1030 comments Finished 3/18/15 post #17 :)

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 47: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Melissa (ladybug) wrote: "Finished 3/18/15 post #17 :)

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/..."

Gratz! :)

message 48: by Betty (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) Finished this amazing challenge as of March 24, 2015. Some of the books read for it were ones I'd wanted to get to for a long time. So there were many benefits to participation. And, am looking forward to beginning a new challenge here, my new plan already set down.

message 49: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Asma Fedosia wrote: "Finished this amazing challenge as of March 24, 2015. Some of the books read for it were ones I'd wanted to get to for a long time. So there were many benefits to participation. And, am looking for..."

Congratz Asma :)

message 50: by Emily (new)

Emily Finally finished!

I was going for Green Circle (6-10 books) and I finished 8.

My generated numbers are:

✔ 8. Snow - Read a book where the weather plays a part in moving the story forward, where the cover has a storm or snowstorm on it or the title has a word about extreme weather. All the Bright Places - 2/12/15 - (view spoiler)

✔ 10. Sitting Snowboarder - Read a book where someone is stalled in life or gets stuck somewhere. The Jaguar's Children - 2/24/15 - the main character literally gets stuck in a water tanker while trying to cross the U.S./Mexico border.

9. Yard Sale - Read a book where someone moves houses or changes something big in their life.

✔3. Gates - Read a book that's part of a series, a book with gates on the cover or one that has a word about gates or goals in the title. The Well of Lost Plots - 3/31/15 - book #3 in the Thursday Next series

✔ 4. Tree - Read a book where a main character likes to be outdoors or spends a lot of time outdoors, a book with trees on the cover or one with a nature term in the title. The Girl With All the Gifts - 2/8/2015 - the main character, Melanie, loves the outdoors.

✔ 4. Tree - Read a book where a main character likes to be outdoors or spends a lot of time outdoors, a book with trees on the cover or one with a nature term in the title. The Magician King - 2/14/15 - tree on cover: The Magician King (The Magicians, #2) by Lev Grossman

2. Mogul - Read a book where a main character has a bumpy path, a book with hills on the cover or one that with a word about bumps, hills or mountains in the title.

✔7. Stunt - Read a book where a main character is a thrill seeker, where the cover is almost entirely in one color or the title has a word about stunts or dare-devils in the title. The Damned - 3/22/15 - all black cover: The Damned by Andrew Pyper

✔ 5. Fall - Read a book where a main character has an injury or is a medical professional or one that has a word about injuries or healing in the title. The Lost World - 3/5/15 - most of the main characters get injured before the end.

✔4. Tree - Read a book where a main character likes to be outdoors or spends a lot of time outdoors, a book with trees on the cover or one with a nature term in the title. Station Eleven - 3/27/15 - the main character is part of a Traveling Symphony that travels from town to town, living outdoors.

« previous 1