IGGPPC : Iggle BookWorms discussion

Black Widow, Volume 1: The Finely Woven Thread
This topic is about Black Widow, Volume 1
Book Discussions > February 2015 Comic: Black Widow, Vol. 1: The Finely Woven Thread

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (persephone17) So, for February we'll be reading a comic, and you guys picked to read about one of the best in the Marvel universe: Black Widow. While she's had older comic runs, this is a newer one that's gotten a bunch of hype since it began it's run. Hopefully we'll have a lot to discuss with this one! Here's the description:

You've seen Black Widow as an Avenger and even an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. But on her own time she searches for atonement for her past as a KGB assassin - in ways of which those teams just wouldn't approve. The Black Widow goes undercover in Russia, but from its cold streets, the Hand of God reaches out to crush her...and it is as merciless as its name implies. Outmatched by the brute force of a powerful new villain, Natasha faces her deadliest test, and discovers a deadly plot unfolding that spans the entire globe. From the Marvel Universe's darkest corners, Nathan Edmonson (Who is Jake Ellis?) and Phil Noto (Thunderbolts, X-23) bring you a new series as gorgeous and mysterious as Natasha Romanov herself!

Have fun reading, and as always, post your thoughts/questions/comments below! Feel free to discuss the Black Widow movie, too, if you'd like to.

Christa (lessthn3) | 90 comments I started picking this up at my local comic book store as soon as it began, because it was Black Widow and I had to read more. I absolutely love the series, and it's one I look forward to whenever there's a new issue.

The first thing that struck me about this run was the absolutely stunning art. Phil Noto is a gift. Man, I can't get over it! I took my time with my re-read just so I could stare at all the beautiful scenes.

Some random plot-related thoughts (mostly fangirling):
- I love the stray cat storyline! A perfect, relatable (and adorble!) way to show Natasha slowly opening up. And let's be real, Natasha probably relates to a stray cat in her own way.
- I'm really happy to see storylines like this, about the Avengers when they're not tied up with the Avengers. (My favorite example is the current Hawkeye run.) This is exactly what I'd expect Natasha to do behind the scenes - odd jobs of a questionable nature, where she can hide in the shadows and get stuff done.
- Bechdel Test PASS!!! Maria Hill & Natasha's interaction was excellent.
- Hawkeye appearance!! If you haven't checked out the Matt Fraction run, I definitely recommend it. The "that looks bad" was a definite shout-out to that series.

That's all from me for now, but I'd love to hear everyone's (probably less disjointed :P) thoughts! The second volume just came out yesterday on Amazon/other bookstores, and your local comic book store has had it an extra week or so. And you can always get digital versions by issue or by volume on comixology. If you love this storyline, keep reading!

Natalie (threadsandbobbins) | 6 comments I think I was expecting this to have more of a 'story' to it. I enjoyed reading it but felt it was quite repetitive….mission…fight…solved…mission…fight…solved. The graphics are great and it's an easy read. Perfect for if you want something that doesn't require too much thinking.

Katie Kempski (darthphasma) | 120 comments Well, that was wonderful. ;D I think the art alone earns this book five stars. I'd consider framing every single one of those panels.

I enjoyed the story too. Sometimes comics try to do too much and they interweave with seven other plots from other comics and try to top each other by having fourteen villains and all that mess (or is that just the vibe I get? XD), but this one had a, well, not simple, but a clear plot.

I have a question though: is her lawyer/manager, like, actually a lawyer, or is he a spy agent or what? I really don't read too much Marvel, so I'm used to the DC see-crime-and-get-er-done thing...

Also, "Your brother was a murderer. I'm a killer." That give anyone else chills?

"Shiny metal philanthrobot." XD

(view spoiler)

Sort of spoiler...
I think that the storyline wasn't so much in the action, but in the character development. Natasha going from not trusting anyone to realizing she needs to let people in. Also I guess the CHAOS string runs through all of it.

My biggest thing is that I want to know what happened to Ana. Hopefully it'll mention in the next volume.