The Handsome Man's Deluxe Café (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #15) The Handsome Man's Deluxe Café discussion

Mma Makutsi

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jane Mackay What do you think of Mma Makutsi at this point in the series? Do you like her? Dislike her? Feel ambivalent? Why?

Becky She's funny, sarcastic, bossy, entitled and the list goes on. But......I love her.

Donna Herrick Mma Makutsi uses boldness, brashness to cover for insecurity and shame about the poverty of her upbringing. Grace is a quality that Grace is learning to embody.

message 4: by Jane (last edited Feb 04, 2015 09:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jane Mackay That's a really nice way to put it, Donna. Her prickliness and intolerance of other ideas and perspectives rub me the wrong way; thanks for the deeper perspective.

Jane Mackay Becky wrote: "She's funny, sarcastic, bossy, entitled and the list goes on. But......I love her."

So does Phuti Radiphuti! ;-)

Jane Mackay Do you think her intolerance of other ideas and perspectives will mellow in the course of rearing Itumelang?

Donna Herrick I'm hoping that she will come to appreciate that how she was raised gave her the strength to become the succesful person she is. This will lead her to allow Itumelang to grow himself.

Jane Mackay Donna wrote: "I'm hoping that she will come to appreciate that how she was raised gave her the strength to become the succesful person she is. This will lead her to allow Itumelang to grow himself."

I hope so, too.

Becky She can't be all bad.....she loves shoes!

message 10: by Jane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jane Mackay Becky wrote: "She can't be all bad.....she loves shoes!"

Good point ;-)

Kelly Martin The ending where Grace and the Matron of the orphanage(can't remember her name) end up working together was wonderful. I hope his relationship is further explored in coming books.

message 12: by Jane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jane Mackay Kelly wrote: "The ending where Grace and the Matron of the orphanage(can't remember her name) end up working together was wonderful. I hope his relationship is further explored in coming books."

I loved that ending, too. Especially Grace making a commitment to the Agency by investing in it in the form of paying Charlie's wages -- and the great gift of absolving Mma Ramotswe of her loan (if I remember correctly). I think she matured and grew a lot in this book.

message 13: by Jane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jane Mackay Kelly wrote: "The ending where Grace and the Matron of the orphanage(can't remember her name) end up working together was wonderful. I hope his relationship is further explored in coming books."

Mma Potokwane is her name!

message 14: by Anita (new) - added it

Anita Isn't this series wonderful? I just finished this one and like each one more than the one before. I think the author is terrific with character development. He is certainly showing us how people change with life experiences. Mma Matuksi has certainly evolved. And then we have Mma Ramotswe who has already evolved!

message 15: by Jane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jane Mackay I've just started watching the TV series on DVD. I watched the pilot and I've almost finished season one, and it has been interesting to see how differently the characters behave compared to the books.

Mma Makutsi is fairly true to the early books in the series, but Mma Ramotswe is much less calm and more prone to being taken over by negative emotion -- fear, anger, insecurity. Rra Matekoni also is less calm, especially with Mma Ramotswe; he often speaks critically or sharply to her. There are also new characters, one of whom, a (male) hair stylist who has a salon next door to the agency, has largely taken over Mma Potokwane's "advice and support" role.

The TV series is driven by conflict and drama and emotion. It's good and enjoyable, and I love how much Botswana culture is included, but I find myself rather missing the calmness and conversation over cups of tea that are such a large part of the books.

message 16: by Silvio111 (new) - added it

Silvio111 I agree that Mma Ramotswe appears a bit more vulnerable on the TV series than she was in the book, but I disagree about the emotions. I think the book gave plenty of indication that her unfortunate marriage to "Note" (the jazz musician) and her lost baby have left some scars.

That said, I thought the TV series was amazingly true to the books (especially Mma Makutsi and her "97 per cent"!) It is sad that director Anthony Minghella died at the conclusion of filming.

message 17: by Silvio111 (new) - added it

Silvio111 I never saw Mme Makutsi's vehemence (intolerance) as a negative quality. She has high standards, and in a way, she is an outsider in her culture; most people around her seem rather mellow, whereas, she is a salmon swimming upstream. That is why I love her; she never stops fighting.

I suspect that motherhood has mellowed her out a bit, and I am not particularly happy about this, but she is a complex, many-layered character, and her relationship with Mma Ramotswe is also many-dimensional. A wonderful series of books.

Jemma I love the whole series of books and love the fact that Mma Makutsi and Mma Ramotswe are very different characters Mma Ramotswe is very gentle and Mma Makutsi can be harsh but the contrasting personalities work so well together. Mma Makutsi and Mma Potokwani are very similar maybe that's why the two of them find it hard to get along at times!

message 19: by Silvio111 (new) - added it

Silvio111 The difference between Mma Makutse and Mma P.(don't make me spell it!) is that Mma P. has an authority bolstered by her position at the orphan's home (which she has earned by force of her personality) whereas Mma Makutse has to fight for respect. She is an underdog, but by force of will she holds her own.

Jemma Motherhood does seem to have mellowed her out a bit but I like the introduction of a baby into the series it shows how the characters are moving on and the little boy is another person that we'll all love as he gets older. I liked in the most recent book in the series how Mma Makutsi was shown to be a little vulnerable under her bossy exterior she has a fear of faliure but she's a fighter.
Can't wait for October when the next book comes out!

message 21: by Silvio111 (new) - added it

Silvio111 October! That's good news! Thanks for telling us.

Jemma You're welcome Not sure if you know but it's called "The Woman Who Walked In Sunshine". I've pre-ordered a copy as a birthday present to myself! As far as I know it's release date is 27th October so a little while to wait but something to look forward to.

Kelly Martin My computer hates me, so i have not posted much. Still i am glad to find out about the date for the next book. Thanks!

Jemma You're welcome Kelly!

message 25: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Mma Makutsi is a good person who is always totally herself and I like her for that.