Doctor Who Book Club - Traveling the Vortex discussion

Doctor Who: Engines of War
This topic is about Doctor Who
Book Discussions > February 2015- Engines Of War by George Mann

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (last edited Feb 01, 2015 08:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brittany Granger (brigranger) | 22 comments Mod
Hi. I am Brittany, one of the new moderators, I hope I am doing this right.

This month, the book we will be reading is "Engines of War" by George Mann. This is the first book (and hopefully not the last) to feature the War Doctor. It's a relatively new book, so it should be easy to find. If you are having difficulties, don't hesitate to ask, I am sure someone is willing to help.

Also, you do have all month to finish it, of course, but the boys are reviewing "Engines of War" this month, so I recommend finishing it up before you listen to that episode(Episode 216, I do believe), just in case of spoilers.

Holly | 204 comments Mod
Hi Everyone, It's Holly one of the other moderators of this fantastic book club. Like Brittany I hope this won't be the last book featuring the War Doctor. Looking forward to the discussions about this book.

message 3: by Keith (new) - added it

Keith Miles (vortexkeith) | 20 comments Thanks for taking over ladies! I'm sure you'll do a great job!

Elena (alostgeek) I'm sure you'll all do great!

About the book, it's one of my favourite NSAs and I loved that it was not as light as many of the other books of the new series.

I hope there'll be more books about the War Doctor in the future as well. There's an unofficial charity anthology about him that was going to be released this month (or maybe has already been released?) though.

message 5: by Keith (new) - added it

Keith Miles (vortexkeith) | 20 comments I'm finished with part 1 and really enjoying it. Looking forward to see where it goes from here! The newest Paradigm sure does sound familiar!

Holly | 204 comments Mod
It gets better and there's a few interesting things that happen along the way!

Rachel (cheliebee) I read this book a couple months ago and really enjoyed it! I hope to see more books featuring the War Doctor!

Glenn | 61 comments Those who listen to the podcast will know that I quite enjoyed this novel. It really made me want to explore more of the War Doctor's past. Also, I wish there were a way to have Cinder around for more adventures. Lastly, this story is rich in references from both the past and future of Doctor Who. I love how it embraces both the classic and new eras. Author George Mann must be a diehard fan of both. I highly recommend it for any fan of the series.

Shaun Collins | 18 comments Finally got to this one. Throughly enjoyed it. A rollicking adventure that nailed John Hurt as the Doctor, and expanded on some of the ideas within the time war.

message 10: by Jamieson (new)

Jamieson | 12 comments I enjoyed this one and when I re-read it in 2019, I got a lot more out of it continuity wise then I did when it first came out. It's a shame that this is the only War Doctor novel, though we've gotten appearances in a few comics and a short series of audios with John Hurt that were really good. It's a good story, and one of the few Time War stories that really gets into the horrors and timey-wimey aspects of the war. I recently heard a fragment of the audiobook on a podcast I listened to and am thoroughly glad that I read this in print and skipped the audio as Nick Briggs doesn't do a good John Hurt at all. Otherwise, a great novel, and one that doesn't feel like a quick read as most of the other New Series Adventure novels do.