Brantford Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

Big Little Lies
This topic is about Big Little Lies
Big Little Lies > The ILL-FATED Trivia Night at Pirriwee Public School

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brantford (last edited Feb 01, 2015 09:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
BPL book club will be heading to Australia to discover what happened at a Trivia Night fundraiser at Pirriwee Public School. It doesn't sound like the basis for a page turner does it? Well start reading, and you will find there is an awful lot going on among the parental cliques in this community.

Complicated family dynamics are revealed to us as we get to know these characters. We see that the image we perceive of people is rarely true and that complicated family relationships have no socio-economic barriers.

You will also have moments to be amused. Amused at the way we parent, the way we socialize and at human nature in general.

And throughout all this, you will be anxiously reading to find out exactly what did happen at Trivia Night at Pirriwee Public School.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Please join us as we discuss this highly engaging book.

Kathryn (kdrury) | 112 comments On a day like today a trip to Australia sounds like a good idea! I guess we'll just have to do so through reading instead of a real trip. When reading the book the one thing I really enjoyed was the accounts of walking on the beach, going out for walks etc. I felt that the descriptions of these was such that you could almost feel the warm air.
Looking forward to the discussion.

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments There really is so much happening in this book; cliques, body image discussions, domestic abuse, blended families, school politics . I'm sure I've left something out. But, a good read so far.

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments Karen wrote: "There really is so much happening in this book; cliques, body image discussions, domestic abuse, blended families, school politics . I'm sure I've left something out. But, a good read so far."

Ha ha, I think I know what you left out...murder perhaps? Definitely an issue!

Illiterate | 14 comments Kathryn - Its funny that you mention the Austrailian setting. I so anticipated reading a book set in a far away place. But I felt that this book did not have enough imagery about the setting for me. I kept forgetting it was in Austrailia.
I have never lived there or visited, but I would have loved to here something about the culture, a little more about the setting as I read long. All I could e envision was that the school was at the beach... and had a beach view. But this could have been any beach.
For some reason I kept envisioning a North American/New England beach..NOt even California.
I just didn't feel as if there was anything uniquely
'Aussie' about the book... not to say that I know what that is.
Perhaps the author could have described some of the field trips the kids go on, a kangaroo sighting?, the paradoxical seasons?, have a mother discuss reviewing her kids homework on Austrailia's unique history as a penal colony? Maybe a transfer aboriginal kid that is treated unfairly? Not quite sure how the author could have weaved this in.. but there are books that sucessfully weave their exotic setting into the story line. If the book had done this, it would have garnered a higher rating from me

Colleen | 101 comments Illiterate wrote: "Kathryn - Its funny that you mention the Austrailian setting. I so anticipated reading a book set in a far away place. But I felt that this book did not have enough imagery about the setting for me..."

The author is Australian, so she wasn't necessarily writing an Australian novel, she was just writing a chick-lit novel that could be set in the town next to hers. I find little references to poutine or maple syrup in Canadian novels (although there was a shout out to maple syrup in this novel and as far as I'm concerned poutine should be referenced everywhere! LOL). Had the author been from another country and writing a novel set in Australia I'm guessing there would have been far more references to things unique to that country.

message 7: by Illiterate (last edited Feb 04, 2015 08:00AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Illiterate | 14 comments The author is Austrailian, so she wasn't necessarily writing an Austrailian novel

Hmm I suppose. I guess this just reveals a bias I have towards genres that offer a travel destination of sorts. I must admit that this was a book club pic by a group of friends. Not something I would have chosen myself - but was excited to read it when I (mistakenly) heard it was an Austrailian novel.

It is a good novel none the less. Just explaining some of my personal detractors about it. I want to feel as if I am there. Immersed in the culture, the quirks of the people, everything. It doesn't have to be long paragraphs of flowery descriptions - just a mention here or there that reminds me of our setting. But maybe the author was aiming for that -A novel about an event that can take place in Anytown,Country of choice. It certainly makes it sellable to a larger audience - so I can see why one would do that

Liana Grace (lianagrace) | 26 comments I loved this book but have to admit, I kept forgetting it was set in Australia! The setting wasn't relevant to the story at all.

message 9: by Karen (last edited Feb 10, 2015 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments I didn't realize at first the novel took place in Australian , you were quite a few pages in before Sydney is mentioned.

Colleen | 101 comments Did anyone else feel this book dragged on a bit? I'm 80 pages away from being done, and quite honestly tiring of the long drawn out lead up to "The Trivia Night".
I am pretty sure there are going to be some pretty big wham bam moments with each character, which I am enjoying guessing at, but I just feel a few things have become repetitive.

message 11: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments Colleen wrote: "Did anyone else feel this book dragged on a bit? I'm 80 pages away from being done, and quite honestly tiring of the long drawn out lead up to "The Trivia Night".
I am pretty sure there are going ..."

I wouldn't say the book dragged for me but I do see your point. There is a lot of build up to the final scene and it was a bit drawn out. I guess at some point you think...okay, I've got a good handle on these characters and the situation they are in, so just let me know what happened!.

message 12: by Brantford (last edited Feb 09, 2015 05:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
Wow - we are reading in good company. A staff member here at BPL just passed on a tweet from Stephen King with his comments on the book.

But apparently he did have one small critique. Colleen this will interest you.

message 13: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments Am I the only one that gets a kick out of imagining Stephen King reading Big Little Lies?

message 14: by Karen (last edited Feb 10, 2015 07:14AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments I agree with Iliterate when she says "For some reason I kept envisioning a North American/New England beach..NOt even California. Ijust didn't feel as if there was anything uniquely 'Aussie' about the book."
I was so in the Carolinas reading this. I too would have liked more references to the locale. Maybe, even a mention of a shark sighting in the harbour. That would suffice for me. Lol.
That's crazy that Mr. Stephen King is reading this at the same moment we are. But, he's got to be reading something as well. Who doesn't have a list of 100 books they want to get through? Maybe he won a copy from Goodreads.

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments I agree it wasn't a fast read. But, what interests me in a book is how the characters interact, the plot-line etc, not necessarily how quickly I get through it. ( I know none of you judge a book that way either) It took me forever to read "The Help" , friends only 2 days.That's how it goes.
Did anyone else notice on page 250 of Big Little Lies, near the bottom
"Madeline had wondered if those three girls, Ziggy's half sisters, were bullies." I ask u what three girls? Typo! How did a proof reader not catch this. Or am I wrong?

message 16: by Colleen (last edited Feb 10, 2015 12:11PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Colleen | 101 comments Karen wrote: ""Madeline had wondered if those three girls, Ziggy's half sisters, were bullies." I ask u what three girls? Typo! How did a proof reader not catch this. Or am I wrong? "

(view spoiler)

message 17: by Colleen (last edited Feb 10, 2015 06:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Colleen | 101 comments Brantford wrote: "But apparently he did have one small critique. Colleen this will interest you.

That's brilliant! Of course, I will refrain from mentioning the excessive droning on in some of his novels :)

message 18: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments Colleen wrote: "Brantford wrote: "But apparently he did have one small critique. Colleen this will interest you.

That's brilliant! Of course, I will refrain from mentioning the excessive droning on in some of hi..."

So funny...That's exactly what I thought! I really admire him for many reasons but the man does go on and on.

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments Colleen wrote: "Karen wrote: ""Madeline had wondered if those three girls, Ziggy's half sisters, were bullies." I ask u what three girls? Typo! How did a proof reader not catch this. Or am I wrong? "

[spoilers re..."

Yes, you are right. this is of course before all is revealed.

Kathryn (kdrury) | 112 comments I guess I didn't feel as if it took forever to get to the Trivia night. I was engaged throughout. I know I'm in trouble with a book when I hear myself think - "ok enough already - get on with it."
I don't read Stephen King so I can't comment on his post!