2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives - Monthly Reading Plans > Erin's February Plan 2015

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 10935 comments Mod
Yay! You're binging:) I'm also listening to Archangel's Kiss for a buddy read in the Romance Audiobook group. Are you participating in that, too?

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin (erin36) | 484 comments I'm trying to binge but I'm not sure if that's my style anymore. Lol! I'm sort of wondering if that's why I didn't enjoy Crimson Wind last month. I'm super turned off on that series now but I put Shadow City in and plan to sandwich it between Eloisa James books :).

I'm not a member of the romance audiobook group anymore. I felt like I had too many groups going so I chose the audiobook challenge one instead. I'm hoping to get caught up on the Singh series is year. These first two will be a re-read for me as I don't remember much about the story anymore :).

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

They did a buddy read last month of the first book (which I read at least two years ago) and Lauren's post refreshed my memory wonderfully. Just an FYI if you're interested in lurking.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4295 comments Mod
Erin wrote: "I'm trying to binge but I'm not sure if that's my style anymore. Lol! "

I know exactly what you mean, Erin. I have to space the books out or I get burned out on them. No bingeing for me :0)

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

I think it depends for me. I can't binge on UF (two in a row is about all I can muster) but it works for me with most other genres.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Oh, I have no problem reading books in the same genre one after the other just not books in the same series. In fact, I often go through periods of reading only historical romance, or only UF or only PNR. Those periods don't last very long, though, lol!

message 8: by Jonetta (new)

Lauren wrote: "Oh, I have no problem reading books in the same genre one after the other just not books in the same series. In fact, I often go through periods of reading only historical romance, or only UF or on..."

Actually, that's what I meant...binge reading a series. For some reason or another I just go on overload with the UF genre (Chicagoland Vampires, Kate Daniels, etc.). It doesn't seem to have the same impact in other genres.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Jonetta wrote: "For some reason or another I just go on overload with the UF genre (Chicagoland Vampires, Kate Daniels, etc.). It doesn't seem to have the same impact in other genres. "

I know exactly what you mean. The UF genre is really intense and it requires a lot of attention to world building and detail, which can make the reading process heavier. Sometimes you just need something lighter to balance it out.

message 10: by D.G. (new)

D.G. Hi Erin - When are you planning to read "Red Rising"? It fits a couple of my challenges so I want to get to it one of these days. If you want we can join on a BR!

message 11: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 2374 comments Erin wrote: "I'm trying to binge but I'm not sure if that's my style anymore. Lol! I'm sort of wondering if that's why I didn't enjoy Crimson Wind last month. I'm super turned off on that series ..."

I have a real hard time binge reading any series no matter what genre. Three in a row is my limit and sometimes that is too much. I start picking out phrases and descriptions that the author used in each book, then I'm thinking of other phrases that they could have used instead. Takes the enjoyment out of the books.

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Robin wrote: "I start picking out phrases and descriptions that the author used in each book, then I'm thinking of other phrases that they could have used instead."

So too. Familiarity starts to breed contempt. Better to space them out.

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

I guess I'm alone in this. I love reading them back to back with a total immersion in the created world. It especially works when you love that world and get to suspend belief for a bit.

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin (erin36) | 484 comments When I first started really getting into series I was a dedicated binge reader for sure.No exceptions! I really couldn't understand how other readers could step away from a good series in the middle. It would appear that I no longer have that staying power! No matter how good a series I am finding that I need breaks. I honestly think sites like this one and my awesome book friends are to blame. Lol! There's so much out there that I'm dying to read that I become distracted very easily. ;)

For example ... I keep seeing Jonetta talking about the Barefoot series and although I have a million series of that nature that i need to finish up I'm just itching to start this one! Thanks, Jonetta ;).

message 15: by Erin (new)

Erin (erin36) | 484 comments D.G - I'm really looking forward to Red Rising! I'm not sure when I'll get to it though. I thought for sure I'd be reading it in February but I haven't picked up a book in a week. I'm swamped at work right now! :( It's definitely on my radar though and I do love a good buddy read :). I think Kris and Monica are buddy reading it this month so if you want to read it sooner rather than later you could join in on their read and I'll pop in when I finally manage to carve out some much needed reading time! Hate it when real life gets in the way of my hobby. Lol!

message 16: by Jonetta (new)

Erin wrote: "When I first started really getting into series I was a dedicated binge reader for sure.No exceptions! I really couldn't understand how other readers could step away from a good series in the middl..."

I'm finishing up the final book in the trilogy and was sad that this was ending the Barefoot Bay stories. But! At the end of the book is an excerpt of another series set there, this time romantic suspense. I don't know why these stories are so appealing but St. Claire writes really good romance.

message 17: by Erin (new)

Erin (erin36) | 484 comments I've never read anything by St. Claire. I'm looking forward to trying her out!

message 18: by D.G. (new)

D.G. Erin wrote: "D.G - I'm really looking forward to Red Rising! I'm not sure when I'll get to it though. I thought for sure I'd be reading it in February but I haven't picked up a book in a week. I..."

I hear you! I've been reading sporadically too. I'll check with Kris and Monica about the buddy read.

message 19: by Erin (new)

Erin (erin36) | 484 comments Wow. I am horrible at sticking to my plans! Lol! I don't even know why I bother. :) I read 1 thing from my plan and everything else came down to what I wanted in the moment.

message 20: by Jonetta (new)

Hey, your plans are memory joggers...in case something else doesn't grab your attention. Good to have as a backup as obviously you got pleasantly distracted in February:)