Bailey's/Orange Women's Fiction Group discussion

Books of the Month Nominations > Nominations for April 2015

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Val (new)

Val It is time to choose another book.
Please nominate books from any year here.

message 2: by Penny (new)

Penny | 681 comments Mod
I'll suggest The Goldfinch from last year's list.

message 3: by JenniferD (last edited Feb 01, 2015 02:54PM) (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 343 comments it's always so hard to decide on a nomination - so many great books to choose from.

i would like to nominate: The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives (aka: The Secret Lives of the Four Wives), by Lola Shoneyin - from the 2011 longlist

about the book:

Attempting to rise above the secrets of her past, Bolanle, a university graduate,marries Baba Segi, who promises her everything in exchange for agreeing to become his fourth wife. Thus she enters into a polygamous world filled with expensive clothes, a generous monthly allowance . . . and three Segi wives who disapprove of the newest, youngest, most educated addition to the family. There''s Iya Femi, a fiery vixen with a taste for money; Iya Tope, a shy woman whose kindness is eclipsed by terror; and Iya Segi, the first, most lethal, and merciless of them all.

Bolanle quickly becomes Baba Segi''s prized possession . . . until her very presence unlocks a secret that the other wives have long since guarded, and unleashing it could change life as they know it.

about the author:

Lola Shoneyin (born Titilola Atinuke Alexandrah Shoneyin, 26 February 1974, Ibadan, Nigeria) is a Nigerian poet and author. The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives, is her debut novel.

Shoneyin has already forged a reputation as an adventurous, humorous and outspoken poet (often classed in the feminist mould), having published three volumes of poetry. In April 2014 she was named on the Hay Festival's Africa39 list of 39 Sub-Saharan African writers aged under 40 with potential and talent to define trends in African literature. She lives in Abuja, Nigeria.

if this book wins in the poll, i volunteer to lead the discussion for it.

message 4: by JenniferD (last edited Feb 01, 2015 02:55PM) (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 343 comments Michelle wrote: "Jennifer, is this the same book as the one that you are nominating? Perhaps it is published under different titles in different countries:

The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives"

oh! yes, sorry! i didn't notice that the edition i chose changed titles. thanks for catching that, michelle. i will update my post, above. that does happen sometimes when books come out in different countries.

message 5: by JenniferD (last edited Feb 01, 2015 04:18PM) (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 343 comments no problem. as i said, i am glad you caught it! doesn't it sound good, though? it seems so interesting and i am definitely intrigued. it seems like there would be a lot to to discuss with it. i love when debut novels are so good they make it onto award lists. that also gets my curiosity going! :)

message 6: by Val (new)

Val I was thinking of nominating that one Jennifer, to get us away from the cold and have a debate about women, education and tradition.

message 7: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 343 comments yes!! seemed like a good idea to me as well, val! i also was keen to look at non-white authors, to diversify a bit.

message 8: by Val (last edited Feb 04, 2015 01:48AM) (new)

Val Any book can be nominated as often as you like Michelle.

I loved When I Lived in Modern Times. I have read it twice now (once for this prize and once for a 'read around the world' challenge).

message 9: by Jayme (new)

Jayme I would like to nominate The Lacuna. It's been on my TBR list to long.

message 10: by Val (new)

Val The winner is The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives by Lola Shoneyin.

We had some very good books in the poll this month and the result was close.

message 11: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 343 comments Val wrote: "The winner is The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives by Lola Shoneyin..."

awesome! i had volunteered to lead that discussion, so my offer stands if you would like me to do so.

message 12: by Val (new)

Val Thanks Jennifer, that would be great.

message 13: by Jen (new)

Jen | 114 comments I forgot to vote, but I would definitely be in for this read, looks great!

message 14: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 343 comments sweet! i hope you can join in, jen - it would be awesome to have your thoughts! i ordered my copy of the book today so should have it very soon! so looking forward to this one.

message 15: by Janine (new)

Janine | 80 comments Yes, it does look like a good read.

I had trouble deciding on my vote and went with the one I already had on my bookshelf yet to be read! But if I can track this one down, I'll be keen to join the group.

message 16: by Jen (new)

Jen | 114 comments Jennifer wrote: "sweet! i hope you can join in, jen - it would be awesome to have your thoughts! i ordered my copy of the book today so should have it very soon! so looking forward to this one."

Thanks Jennifer! Just checked and my library has a copy. Looking forward to it!

message 17: by JenniferD (last edited Feb 27, 2015 04:32AM) (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) | 343 comments @ janine -- i hope you can find a copy!! it would be so nice to have you join us!!

@ jen -- yay!!! :)

message 18: by Janine (new)

Janine | 80 comments I have managed to find a copy in new library network I've discovered, so will hopefully pick it up in the next week or so.

message 19: by Penny (new)

Penny | 681 comments Mod
ooh this looks good! somehow I am still embedded in the Russian winter - Ice Road is dragging a bit for me!