Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

ARCHIVES: CHALLENGES > Week 122: February 2-8 (Let's Party)

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Hello everyone,

On the 5th of February I will be celebrating my birthday! So for this weekly theme I got 4 things people can pick from. They are all things related to either a party or me.

First Option:
Read a book that is about a party/dance/gala/ball. (Proms also count, since from what I read about it, it is a party.) I know there are quite a few books that are or have parties/dances/galas/balls in them.

Second Option:
Read a book that has a gorgeous dress on the cover, because don't we we all love to dress up when we are celebrating?
For instance: The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass

Third Option:
Read a book from my favourite genre: Contemporary or my favourite age-group: YA.
If you find a wonderful new contemporary or YA I haven't read, please recommend it to me.

Fourth Option:
I am an enormous cover lover. I am the kind of person who would let a book go unread if the cover sucks. So for the fourth option, read a book with an absolutely drop-dead gorgeous cover.
For instance: Five Summers by Una LaMarche

Well I hope you will all find something fun/good/awesome to read. Enjoy the theme. :)

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2012 comments I'll be reading The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley by Shaun Hutchinson this week, and it is both contemporary and YA, so it fits into the 3rd option.

message 3: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Oh, that is nice one Katie. I have been meaning to get that one, let me know what you thought of it. :)

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2012 comments Yep, I will. I'm starting it tomorrow.

message 5: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Thanks, enjoy the book.

message 6: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 2834 comments I'll be reading A Cold Legacy (The Madman's Daughter, #3) by Megan Shepherd , which features a ball, and has a gorgeous dress, and a cover I absolutely love!!

message 7: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments That looks like a great book Katherine, it also reminds me I still have to read the second book in that series. :)
Oh, you got all the options right there in one book. Nice one! I hope you enjoy the book.

message 8: by Katherine (last edited Feb 01, 2015 10:17AM) (new)

Katherine | 2834 comments Mehsi wrote: "That looks like a great book Katherine, it also reminds me I still have to read the second book in that series. :)
Oh, you got all the options right there in one book. Nice one! I hope you enjoy t..."

The second book is SUPER good Mehsi!!

message 9: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Katherine wrote: "The second book is SUPER good Mehsi!! "

Thanks Katherine, that is the motivation I needed. :) I have had the book in my possession for several months, but for some reason couldn't get myself to read it. I think I will be reading it soon, first finishing my 2 other books.
Let me know what you thought about the third book too.

message 10: by Marybeth (new)

Marybeth (narutofan14) | 1024 comments Right now i am trying to finish Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2) by Rebecca Donovan and Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld .

message 11: by Mehsi (last edited Feb 01, 2015 11:09AM) (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Marybeth: The week's challenges are meant for books that you start on Monday and try to finish by the end of the week.
So I would recommend you pick another book or other books to get started with soon.

message 12: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Happy Birthday, Mehsi!! :o) I just celebrated mine on Tuesday (and Wednesday, and Thursday). LOL

I will also be reading The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley by Shaun Hutchinson , which fits Option 3.

message 13: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Feb 01, 2015 02:28PM) (new)

Trisha | 31440 comments Yay Mehsi!! happy birthday week!! :D

I am going to go with Option 4: coverly love

I just love Sublime by Christina Lauren
I don't know what it is, but I think it's gorgeous

message 14: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Trisha wrote: "Yay Mehsi!! happy birthday week!! :D

I don't know what it is, but I think it's gorgeous"

I also LOVE that cover, Trisha! It moved me to put it on my TBR shelf, but I have no idea what it's about. LOL

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris K. | 334 comments I'll Choose Option 4 too

I'll read Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews
I don't know about anyone but I love this cover ^_^

and Before I forget Happy Birthday

message 16: by Sami (new)

Sami | 889 comments Reading Then Came You (Gamblers, #1) by Lisa Kleypas as it's a beautiful dress and apparently has a masquerade ball in it.

also 13 year old me would have loved the cover

message 17: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Vicki wrote: "Happy Birthday, Mehsi!! :o) I just celebrated mine on Tuesday (and Wednesday, and Thursday). LOL

I will also be reading The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley by Shaun Hutchinson, which fits Option 3."

Thanks Vicki! Happy Late Birthday, hope you had a wonderful time during those days. :)

Oh nice, let me know what you thought about the book, hope you like it.

message 18: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Trisha wrote: "Yay Mehsi!! happy birthday week!! :D

I don't know what it is, but I think it's gorgeous"

Thanks Trisha! :)

Oh my, that cover is gorgeous! Wonderful choice Trisha, hope you enjoy the book.

message 19: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Chris wrote: "I'll Choose Option 4 too

I'll read Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews
I don't know about anyone but I love this cover ^_^

and Before I forget Happy Birthday"

I didn't particularly like that book, but indeed, that cover is great. I love the bright colours and how it looks like a box you can look into and see things (I forgot the name of how it is called).
I hope you will like the book. Have fun reading!

Thanks! :)

message 20: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Sami wrote: "Reading Then Came You (Gamblers, #1) by Lisa Kleypas as it's a beautiful dress and apparently has a masquerade ball in it.

also 13 year old me would have loved the cover "

Oh that looks like a fun book. Hope it is a good book. :)

message 21: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) I'll read The Girl You Left Behind, which to my understanding is contemporary :)

message 22: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Enjoy the book Irene!

message 23: by Irene (new)

Irene (raenne) Thank you, oh and happy birthday

message 24: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments You're welcome. Thanks! :)

message 25: by Allison (new)

Allison Brunskill | 1891 comments Happy Birthday!

I'm going with option #1. I'll read Ask Again Later by Liz Czukas , it's about Prom.

message 26: by Marybeth (new)

Marybeth (narutofan14) | 1024 comments Mehsi wrote: "Marybeth: The week's challenges are meant for books that you start on Monday and try to finish by the end of the week.
So I would recommend you pick another book or other books to get started with..."

i totally didn't catch that. alright let me look through my shelf and see what i can come up with.

message 27: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Mehsi wrote: "Vicki wrote: "Happy Birthday, Mehsi!! :o) I just celebrated mine on Tuesday (and Wednesday, and Thursday). LOL

I will also be reading The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley by Shaun Hutchinson, which ..."

Thanks, Mehsi.

message 28: by Tiara (new)

Tiara | 125 comments Happy Birthday!
I will go with option 3 and be reading To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1) by Jenny Han this week

message 29: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Marybeth wrote: "i totally didn't catch that. alright let me look through my shelf and see what i can come up with.
"

Good luck Marybeth. :)

message 30: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Tiara wrote: "Happy Birthday!
I will go with option 3 and be reading To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1) by Jenny Han this week "

Thanks Tiara! Oh, I heard a lot about that book. Hope you like the book.

message 31: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Vicki wrote: "Thanks, Mehsi. "

You're welcome.

message 32: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments And I just finished: Love on the Lifts (Follow Your Heart) by Jill Santopolo Which had a party and it had a cover that I loved. :)

message 33: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Schroy I will be reading The One (The Selection, #3) by Kiera Cass i love this series and love the cover if you want to be swept off your feet this is a book for you

message 34: by Cara (new)

Cara (caramariew) | 405 comments I read Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer for option 1, and there is definitely a ball :)

message 35: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 2834 comments Finished my pick!!! I gave A Cold Legacy (The Madman's Daughter, #3) by Megan Shepherd 4 and a half stars; a brilliant conclusion to a brilliant series (though the first book will always be my favorite!)

message 36: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Katrina wrote: "I will be reading The One (The Selection, #3) by Kiera Cass i love this series and love the cover if you want to be swept off your feet this is a book for you"

Ohh I loved that book. Gorgeous covers and wonderful and sweet stories. Hope you enjoy the book.

message 37: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Cara wrote: "I read Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer for option 1, and there is definitely a ball :)"

Congrats Cara, hope you enjoyed the book. :)

message 38: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Katherine wrote: "Finished my pick!!! I gave A Cold Legacy (The Madman's Daughter, #3) by Megan Shepherd 4 and a half stars; a brilliant conclusion to a brilliant series (though the first book will always be my favorite!)"

Congrats Katherine on finishing the book. Oh 4.5 stars that is a pretty great rating. Guess I will be reading book 2 soon. :)

message 39: by Gayatri (last edited Feb 06, 2015 03:58AM) (new)

Gayatri | 112 comments I read To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1) by Jenny Han this week. I gave it three stars. It was ok
It fits into YA and Contemporary :)
Oh and Happy Birthday Mehsi

message 40: by Sami (new)

Sami | 889 comments I read Then Came You (Gamblers, #1) by Lisa Kleypas , it was ok too. Not great, not too bad.

Happy Birthday :)

message 41: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Gayatri wrote: "I read To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1) by Jenny Han this week. I gave it three stars. It was ok
It fits into YA and Contemporary :)
Oh and Happy Birthday Mehsi"

Congrats Gayatri, that seems like an interesting book. :)
Thanks!

message 42: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi | 26632 comments Sami wrote: "I read Then Came You (Gamblers, #1) by Lisa Kleypas, it was ok too. Not great, not too bad.

Happy Birthday :)"

Congrats Sami, well at least it was ok, and good thing, it has a pretty dress on the cover. :)

Thanks!

message 43: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments finished my pick The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley by Shaun Hutchinson (4 stars)

message 44: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Schroy So I finished The One (The Selection, #3) by Kiera Cass and I cam say that this whole series is a top favorite of mine especially this last book and for that I give the book (5beautiful stars). I am getting so excited for The Heir (The Selection, #4) by Kiera Cass to come out !