Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Things Fall Apart
New School Classics- 1900-1999 > Things Fall Apart - General Discussion (NO SPOILERS!)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Christine | 1217 comments This thread is for general discussion of our February 2015 New School group read, Things Fall Apart. Please do not post any spoilers in this thread!

Christine | 1217 comments Because I fell so behind in my reading in January, it might be a week or two before I am able to get to this month's group read selection. Would any of our members like to volunteer to be our discussion leader? If so, please let me know.

message 3: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bob | 4995 comments Mod
I finished this a couple of days ago. I enjoyed the writing and the story, but I think I will sit out any discussions.

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments The portrayal of the Igbo culture is interesting but so far, after finishing the first section, the story line is somewhat underwhelming.

Philina | 1562 comments I've also finished it and really liked the inside into another culture.

Janet, the first part serves the establishment of the "what is" and the next parts will deal with the changes to it, so don't worry!

Sarah I'm struggling with the way that it's told. Sometimes it jumps back in time with no warning so I'm never quite sure when a new section starts if it's the present or past. Plus the names are killing me! I'm reading so slow because I keep tripping over who is who.

Laurie | 1665 comments Glad to see somebody else had trouble with the names. It seemed like 70% start with on O and it took a while to start getting them straight.

Renato (renatomrocha) I should start this next week!

Lagullande | 101 comments I listened to this on audio, and really recommend that route to anyone who hasn't started already. It helped greatly with the names.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this book in university, and liked it much more than I thought I would. The message is a very strong one, and the writing is nice.

message 11: by Renato (last edited Feb 08, 2015 01:34PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Renato (renatomrocha) Lagullande wrote: "I listened to this on audio, and really recommend that route to anyone who hasn't started already. It helped greatly with the names."

Thank you for this recommendation. I started today and listened to the audio while reading the book, and it was of great help!

I've enjoyed some quotes so far and the fact that some of the scenes were very well painted. At some point I felt I had been transported to the tribe and was carefully watching while worrying about being noticed by Okonkwo (he scares me!)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Renato wrote: "Lagullande wrote: "I listened to this on audio, and really recommend that route to anyone who hasn't started already. It helped greatly with the names."

Thank you for this recommendation. I starte..."

Okonkwo is definitely a scary guy. I would certainly be worried if I were one of his wives or children. However, pride goeth before a fall.

Michelle (michellevoorhees) | 111 comments I found this a considerably easier read than I originally expected. Although some of the names were difficult to remember, the language and context were very understandable. It was interesting to read about a different culture, even though I wasn't thoroughly impressed with the story and found it difficult to identify with any of the characters. Nevertheless, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected!

Suzie | 85 comments I have just started this book and am finding the names a bit hard to follow

Suzie | 85 comments I finished the book tonight and was surprised to find that overall I enjoyed the story. Part 1 was a bit of a struggle but Parts 2 and 3 were much more interesting. Glad I persevered

Renato (renatomrocha) I enjoyed it as well! But somehow I found it too... simple, I guess? I expected a lot more...

Sarah I did too. It was very short and didn't have quite as much "meat" as I expected.

Catching up on Classics (and lots more!)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Things Fall Apart (other topics)