Time Travel discussion

The Chronothon (In Times Like These, #2)
This topic is about The Chronothon
Official Monthly Group Giveaways > Winner Declared February "The Chronothon" by Nathan Van Coops

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (last edited Feb 01, 2015 07:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lincoln | 1290 comments Mod

This month we are featuring our very own Co-moderator and First Tiger...Nathan Van Coops Nathan Van Coops He is giving away his new book The Chronothon The Chronothon by Nathan Van Coops

Run from the past. Run from the future. Run for your lives.

He’s a novice time traveler in a big universe.

Ben just wants time with the scientist’s daughter who got him into this, but when he’s rooked into competing in a chronothon–an Amazing Race through time–getting the girl means he’ll need to make the finish line. When he finds out this competition is more than just a sprint through history, winning takes a back seat to surviving. To save the people he loves, he’ll have to conquer the real dangers hidden in the shadows of the chronothon.

The world of time travelers expands in this next installment of the "In Times Like These" series. Fans of book one will find more to love, but new readers can jump right in and enjoy this stand-alone story. Expect action, adventure, and romance on this journey through past and future. Fresh dangers will arise for Ben and company in a quest for the finish line, where failure to keep up will cost more than just a shot at glory—it could mean the end for them all.

There will be two winners, Grand prize winner will have his choice of a signed paperback or an e-book. Second prize gets whats left after the choice is made.

For a chance to win answer the following question:

If you were a time traveler and could pick a non-human time traveling companion, what would you want? Pet? Robot? Something else? Explain your choice.

message 2: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new) - rated it 5 stars

I can't take credit for this answer but I read the question out loud at work and a co-worker replied...
I would take a Vulcan

I was trying to think up a creative answer myself and was trying to think what would be best to deal with the loneliness of time travel...and my co-worker nails it. Take a non-human alien to chat with...and be your science officer Dr. Spock.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 109 comments What journey through time would be complete without the company of the world's greatest chronological canine, Mister Peabody? He's a regular four-footed Funk & Wagnalls. What better way to navigate your way through time without time travel's greatest guide.

message 4: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 32 comments I think I'd take a journal. Maybe a bit boring, but it would be a companion that didn't argue or try to get its way, plus, I could record all of my thoughts in it.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) | 881 comments How about a genie? Obedient, sentient, and resourceful.

message 6: by Demonfire (new)

Demonfire Rollis (klrdemonfire) | 2 comments I would want to take Data from Star trek, so if i die he can go on. Many dangers in the past.(Dinos, Wars just to name a few)

message 7: by Paul (last edited Feb 03, 2015 03:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul (paulstevens) | 0 comments Hmm. I was watching my child play "Halo" the other night (OK...I fibbed...I was playing "Halo" the other night) and I thought that the central character, the Master Chief, would be a great time travel companion. He's a man (?) of few words, and one tough hombre. He'd be handy to have looking over your shoulder should time travelling turn nasty. Yep...he da man!
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/201...

message 8: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

Nathan Coops (icoops) | 544 comments Mod
Tom Wrote: "What journey through time would be complete without the company of the world's greatest chronological canine, Mister Peabody?"

These are all really good choices!

This question was actually inspired by a time traveling dog in The Chronothon. The dog's owner has discovered a really useful skill that dogs possess that comes in handy during the race...

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) | 881 comments Intriguing...

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 04, 2015 12:33PM) (new)

People might think this a crazy choice, but I would take my time-weathered (pun intended) copy of poetry by Dylan Thomas. This has always been an important component of my camping and travelling survival kit, so I wouldn't leave home without it. (Can you imagine being stuck back in the Dark Ages without "Fern Hill" to read? Oh, the horror, the horror.)

(I also would have liked my journal, but Kathryn already had that idea.)

message 11: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

I hear tigers make good time traveling companions...

message 12: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 109 comments Nathan wrote: "

I hear tigers make good time traveling companions..."

Excellent choice!!!

Mordechai Housman | 65 comments The Mouldiwarp from "The House of Arden." He'd be easy to hid, and in case I get into a jam, he can get me out of it. (I hope).

message 14: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tell me about the Mouldiwarp, I have never read the The House of Arden.

Mordechai Housman | 65 comments Lincoln wrote: "Tell me about the Mouldiwarp, I have never read the The House of Arden."

It's been a VERY long time for me as well, and I don't remember very much. It was written by E. Nesbit, who wrote over 100 children's books. I got to her via Edward Eager, who kept mentioning her in a number of his books. Apparently, she was a major influence on him. I've always loved Edward Eager's work (Knight's Castle, Half Magic, Magic By The Lake, etc.), so I figured she must be even better. Despite the fact that she wrote in the style of the early 20th century (which was when she lived and wrote), she makes for very good reading. I think the House of Arden was her most famous children's book

You can read the entire book here:
http://digital.library.upenn.edu/wome...

message 16: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new) - rated it 5 stars

The Winner is....Demonfire

message 17: by Caroleann (new)

Caroleann (sisterinez) | 2 comments I'd definitely take my dog. I couldn't go anywhere without her. Also she's large and intimidating. Good visual in a pinch.

message 18: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

Demonfire, if you would like to send me a message, I will get you your prize. I tried sending you a message but it looks like that is not an option with your settings. Looking forward to hearing from you!

message 19: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (last edited Mar 05, 2015 07:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Demonfire seems to be missing. If anyone sees him/her please let them know that they have won a copy of Chronothon.

In the absence of the winner we are having a runner up the New winner is Mordechai

If Demonfire shows up he can still claim his prize we will simply have two winners! Congrats to you both!!