r/books discussion

Norwegian Wood
This topic is about Norwegian Wood
Monthly Group Read > February book of the month?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie, Super Mod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stephanie (lastnightsbook) | 346 comments Mod
Anyone want to read Norweigian Wood by Murakami for February's book fo the month?

message 2: by Megan, Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Megan (maptree) | 198 comments Mod
Sure. Sounds good.

message 3: by Vinni (new)

Vinni Dalpiccol (vdalpiccol) | 4 comments I just finished my first book by Murakami last week and was blown away, I'll definitely be reading Norwegian Wood with you guys as soon as I'm done with my current book!

message 4: by Stephanie, Super Mod (new) - rated it 5 stars

@Vinicius, which Murakami book did you read?

message 5: by Vinni (new)

Vinni Dalpiccol (vdalpiccol) | 4 comments After Dark. It was quite a short read and to be honest I really don't have anything to say about the book except that it was good. I really can't explain why I liked it which is odd and uncommon.

message 6: by Stephanie, Super Mod (new) - rated it 5 stars

In the book, a friend says that he wont touch any book by any author who had not been dead 30 years. Did anyone find this peculiar? Or does everyone have rules and quirks about reading.

Also what does everyone think of the novel being set in the early 1970's ? i did not expect that.

message 7: by Megan, Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

I didn't expect it either. I must say though i am finding Norwegian a bit depressing.

message 8: by Stephanie, Super Mod (new) - rated it 5 stars

@Megan, in which way are you finding it depressing? I am not very far into the book, and although I always like Murakami's works, this book isn't as riveting as some of his others, but I am not sure if that is only because I haven't delved very deeply into it yet.

message 9: by Megan, Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

I am a little more than half way through and you are right, this book is not as riveting as his others.

message 10: by Stephanie, Super Mod (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have finished the book!

The book I found to be wonderful, just like any of Murakami's novels, of which I enjoy greatly.

There was an article about how in Tokyo there has been a cafe that has been desginated the Murakami cafe here:

http://ignition.co/150

As well, what I found interesting was that on reddit, there was a debate here about how genders portray the other gender unrealistically in their novels. Murakami came up for that because of his portrayal of women, and how the majority of females in his novels are either always mysterious but never say why they are mysterious or the fact that every female has sex with the progtagonist without a second thought. This is especially true of Norwegian Wood where the three women all have sex with him and involved with him on various levels.

http://www.reddit.com/r/books/comment...

Here's the link.

Anyone have any thoughts on this.