Writers of Color Book Club discussion

Beloved (Beloved Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Beloved
Book Discussions > Beloved - Pt I (Up to pg 100)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adira (introvertinterrupted) | 391 comments Mod
Here we will be discussing the first half of Part 1 of Beloved by Toni Morrison. Please be mindful of using the (view spoiler) tab.

message 2: by Aki (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aki (akiishihara) It might be a little too late but I'd like to join this discussion this weekend. Is anybody else reading this book?

message 3: by Nea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nea (neareads) | 13 comments I've just finished reading it but I'm happy to discuss whatever parts of the book you've read so far.

Louise (atrixa) I've just read up to page 125 in my edition. I was finding it a bit confusing at first with the story moving in and out of timelines a lot. Anyone else find this?

message 5: by Aki (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aki (akiishihara) Louise wrote: "I've just read up to page 125 in my edition. I was finding it a bit confusing at first with the story moving in and out of timelines a lot. Anyone else find this?"

Yes, I find it the same. Louise. I just started reading it today. This is quite difficult to follow, hope I'll figure out the timelines clearly soon.

message 6: by Nea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nea (neareads) | 13 comments I agree that it's not an easy read. This book forced me to respect the author's literary talent because, unlike fan fiction, every sentence demands your attention. You can't just zoom through real literature. I must say though that it was worth slowing my reading pace. I found that the story unfolds bit by bit, with revelations that put the missing pieces in the puzzle. Things that don't make sense in the beginning, slowly start to add up.

message 7: by Aki (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aki (akiishihara) Nea wrote: "I agree that it's not an easy read. This book forced me to respect the author's literary talent because, unlike fan fiction, every sentence demands your attention. You can't just zoom through real ..."

Thank you, Nea. Right, will focus on every sentence not to miss any of Morrison's perspective/messages from this book. I already have a strong impression this is a very deep and meaningful world she depicts.

message 8: by Aki (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aki (akiishihara) I'm now up to page 70 and already this book has grabbed my soul. Every sentence has a deep and impressive meaning, such as significant roles of the antelope when fleeing, of the trees for the three protagonists, of the half wet laundries that appear at times. Also, when I read the part on iron bit her words took me to the pain of the victims...