Flights of Fantasy discussion

The Rook (The Checquy Files, #1)
This topic is about The Rook
Archived Group Reads > February 2015 - Fantasy: The Rook by Daniel O'Malley

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Nyssa | 2023 comments I'm only 70 somthing pages in (somewhere in Chapter 6), but I am definitely enjoying it. Quite an interesting concept.
(view spoiler)
What I really want to know is when Ingrid is going to speak up. She's Myfanwy right hand, and seems beyond intelligent, competent and capable, so she has to know something has changed.

message 2: by Becky, Modderific (new) - added it

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments This one should be on my Graveyard Challenge, but I forgot to list it. I started it ages ago, but wasn't in the mood, and put it down for something else. I might try it again, but I've only got it in ebook form, and I've really been on a roll trying to focus on DTBs.

So what I'm saying is... I have nothing to add to this conversation. LOL

Nyssa | 2023 comments Becky wrote: "This one should be on my Graveyard Challenge, but I forgot to list it. I started it ages ago, but wasn't in the mood, and put it down for something else. I might try it again, but I've only got it ..."

LOL! Give your tired hands and arms a break from the DTBs.. ;) :D
Read the book - I'm sure you'll have plenty to add then.

Elise I have gotten the book in Dutch from the library. It was the only way for me to get a copy. Oh well, let's hope the translation is not too bad.

message 5: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Becky wrote: "This one should be on my Graveyard Challenge, but I forgot to list it. I started it ages ago, but wasn't in the mood, and put it down for something else. I might try it again, but I've only got it ..."

Me, too!

Valerie (darthval) | 120 comments I really liked the world building in this one. I also liked the concept of the (view spoiler) However, the pacing in this story was really inconsistent. I think a big part of that was due to the info dumps (view spoiler).

Nyssa | 2023 comments I'm not done yet but I agree with your assessment, so far, Valarie.

Nyssa | 2023 comments aPriL eVoLvEs (ex-Groot) wrote: "I didn't like it."

Thats it? You're not going to tell us why?

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) I didn't want to accidentally spoil it.

Here's a link to my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Nyssa | 2023 comments aPriL eVoLvEs (ex-Groot) wrote: "I didn't want to accidentally spoil it."

But tell us how you really feel! ;)

Valerie (darthval) | 120 comments aPriL eVoLvEs (ex-Groot) wrote: "I didn't want to accidentally spoil it.

Here's a link to my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

LOL...nice review.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) : D

I'm in a minority crowd of not liking this book at all, and I really don't want to mess up other readers' experience of the book.

I have liked really awful books in the past that the critics despised (I think critics mostly like 'The Rook') and I expect I'll continue to find books there is no reason whatsoever to like, but I do. So, it's all a matter of personal taste, obviously. At least readers don't have to be embarrassed reading 'The Rook' and hide the cover, as I have done with other books in my past...

message 14: by Øystein (last edited Feb 05, 2015 02:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Øystein | 55 comments I completely agree about the pacing. I am now done with the book, and to me the (view spoiler)
The rest of the story was good enough, and I will probably read the next book when it is published.

message 15: by Nan (new)

Nan (felicityk) | 245 comments Øystein wrote: "I completely agree about the pacing...."

I'm about 180 pages into the book, and I already agree with what you mentioned in your spoiler. It may become an impediment to finishing the book...

Nyssa | 2023 comments I'm half way through the book... (view spoiler) Is it terrible of me to want to laugh right now!?! Especially since this interrupted an already very tense scene in the book!

message 17: by Nan (new)

Nan (felicityk) | 245 comments I finished the book last night. My feelings are mixed -- some stuff I enjoyed, some things made me want to scream in aggravation. My library has the sequel on order, so I'll probably request that one just to see if any improvements are made.

Elise Just wondering about the title. As I have said before I am reading this book in the Dutch translation. The title is translated to De Dame (which means The Lady in Dutch). But isn't the rook the tower piece of chess? Or am I mixing words up?

Nyssa | 2023 comments Elise wrote: "Just wondering about the title. As I have said before I am reading this book in the Dutch translation. The title is translated to De Dame (which means The Lady in Dutch). But isn't the rook the tow..."

It is a chess piece and according to the explanation in the story, that is what it is meant to be. There is a "Lady" in the story as well, but she is not the main character.

Elise That is why I am confused! I hope the translator thought The Lady would be a more gripping title. But still I hate such inconsistencies with translations.

message 21: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - added it

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I tried reading this back in February 2013 (though, wow, it doesn't seem like that long ago). I didn't get very far - only about 5% - so I never rated it. I left it on my paused shelf for awhile, until I eventually decided that I had no real intention of going back.

For me it was mostly the portrayal of Myf(whatever). The fact that she (view spoiler)

Then reading all the lower reviews talk about the weird pacing and the info-dump letters - I just decided that there was no way I could force myself through this one.

message 22: by Nyssa (last edited Feb 09, 2015 07:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nyssa | 2023 comments Actually, on your last point in the spoiler - She was hoping the woman had, not assuming she did. She had a momentary fit of jealousy that the woman (who became her friend) was both beautiful and smart.

message 23: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - added it

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Well, it's nice that they became friends, but I'm still left with the impression that Myf is not someone whose head I care to spend time in.

Elise I actually laugh at those things and move on. I am mostly amused by the way some men, or in this case male authors, see women!

(view spoiler)

Nyssa | 2023 comments Elise wrote: "I actually laugh at those things and move on. I am mostly amused by the way some men, or in this case male authors, see women!

[spoilers removed]"

My question was (view spoiler)

Elise Nyssa wrote: "My question was [spoilers removed]"

Yes I wondered about that as well!

message 27: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I finally picked this up last night. I'm about 40 or so pages in and I like it so far. The info dump letters are a trial BUT I appreciate the way they were worked in instead of pure infodump for no reason.

message 28: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth (bethandluna) | 108 comments After reading all of your comments last night, I started reading this last night too. I'm only to the part where she arrives at the bank. The story so far wasn't too bad, but there were a few things that annoyed me.

Obviously her name.

The fact that she picked out a 5 star hotel. Now that I know a bit about her previous personality it makes sense, but for someone on the run, they usually don't go to a fancy hotel. It would have made more sense to me if the author had been more detailed about the ATM transaction and had her exclaiming about how much was in the account. A stupid thing to annoy me, but it did.

The other one was the steaks for her eyes. Does anyone do that anymore!? If you get the juices in your eyes, it can cause an infection! Being a 5 star hotel, I'm sure they have a decent first aid set up. Has she never heard of an icepack before?

Øystein | 55 comments I never got over the fact that she didn't look in the other locker as well. Although on afterthought I am glad she didn't as it would probably have meant twice the number of letters...

message 30: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Beth wrote: "After reading all of your comments last night, I started reading this last night too. I'm only to the part where she arrives at the bank. The story so far wasn't too bad, but there were a few thing..."

lol!

I don't have an issue with the name (read a lot of books with welsh names in the past). I did notice the issue with the hotel. And the fact that she just chilled there - outside even!

I thought the steaks were weird, too. But as that's considered a horrific waste of food in my family, I've never tried any meat on my body before. I've always given that idea the side eye, lol.

message 31: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Øystein wrote: "I never got over the fact that she didn't look in the other locker as well. Although on afterthought I am glad she didn't as it would probably have meant twice the number of letters..."

That bothered me, too! Seriously? You're not even gonna look?

message 32: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - added it

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments The only person who should wear steaks on his eyes is Hagrid. Because Hagrid.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) I couldn't believe she ordered steaks for her eyes, either. That is something I occasionally saw in movies made in the 1930's. It made me go ewwwwwww.

Then I got hungry. We cooked up a couple of steaks two days ago. That made me go yummmmmm.

message 34: by Beth (last edited Feb 09, 2015 12:56PM) (new) - added it

Beth (bethandluna) | 108 comments MrsJoseph, I was actually pretty close at guessing how to pronounce it. The w threw me, but I agree with whoever said it first that it looks kind of like MyFanny, which made it seem like a childish choice. Also, if you have to spend that much time explaining the pronunciation of a name, especially in the first paragraph of the book, you're being too complicated. There was probably more description on the name than on any one other item I've read about so far.

message 35: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Beth wrote: "MrsJoseph, I was actually pretty close at guessing how to pronounce it. The w threw me, but I agree with whoever said it first that it looks kind of like MyFanny, which made it seem like a childish..."

lolol!!!

I've skipped all the spoilers so I missed that!

message 36: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth (bethandluna) | 108 comments april evolves, Using steak was pretty common because they had ice boxes back then. If you wanted ice, you had to chip it from the block. Easier just to pull a steak out. Plus back then, the freezer kept things colder, but usually didn't freeze things solid like they do today, so the steak was able to form to the area covering everything evenly with cold.

message 37: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth (bethandluna) | 108 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "lolol!!!

I've skipped all the spoilers so I missed that!"

Looking back, april evolves said it in her review. I thought it was mentioned more than once, but I don't see it anywhere else. Maybe I saw it elsewhere too.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) I made myfanny up when writing my review because the association popped into my head as I was typing her name.

(and no, it wasn't autocorrect! I turned that ANNOYING feature off! Although I've seen funny suggestions from good ol' auto..)

But I wouldn't be surprised to see others think my association, too. Its just there.

Thx, Beth, for the explanation. It makes sense why people did that now.

; )

Nyssa | 2023 comments I honestly didn't realize that the practice with the steak was that old or foreign. It really didn't phase me at all, I've heard it referred to many times!

message 40: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth (bethandluna) | 108 comments MyFanny was the first thing I thought of too until I thought of how mystery is pronounced.

message 41: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - added it

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Beth wrote: "Looking back, april evolves said it in her review. I thought it was mentioned more than once, but I don't see it anywhere else. Maybe I saw it elsewhere too. "

I saw the name, in general, mentioned in a lot of reviews - especially the fact that it does *not* rhyme with Tiffany.

Pronunciation: http://www.forvo.com/word/myfanwy/

message 42: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth (bethandluna) | 108 comments She did say that it didn't have the traditional Welsh pronunciation and that she pronounced it with a silent "W". So it would be like "Mifany"

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) in the book, I think I remember in the first chapter says it should be pronounced like Tiffany.

message 44: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Nicki wrote: "I haven't started the book yet, but the discussion over the name has me curious: How does the book say it should be pronounced? To rhyme with Tiffany? Because yeah, the first pronunciation in Colle..."

What April said - it rhymes it with Tiffany but makes the point to say it was done deliberately.

message 45: by Nyssa (last edited Feb 09, 2015 02:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nyssa | 2023 comments Beth wrote: "She did say that it didn't have the traditional Welsh pronunciation and that she pronounced it with a silent "W". So it would be like "Mifany""

Yep! They address the pronunciation at least 3 times in the book:

1. She specifically says that she does not pronounce it in the Welsh way.

2. They have a character, at some point, pronounce her name the correct way.

3. They bring it up again by having her secretary ask Myfanwy if she realised that she'd been pronouncing her name incorrectly her entire life.

Edit: And I'm not even done reading the book yet; I have 20-something percent left to go. So who knows, they may bring it up again.

message 46: by Beth (last edited Feb 09, 2015 08:01PM) (new) - added it

Beth (bethandluna) | 108 comments I'm only 50 pages in, and I have even more annoyances written down.

"And how did they get into place so fast."
(view spoiler)

The hair dye--
(view spoiler)

First Monday morning--
(view spoiler)

I'm also finding that the more I read, the more juvenile the story and writing style sounds.

Nyssa | 2023 comments Beth wrote: "I'm only 50 pages in, and I have even more annoyances written down.

"And how did they get into place so fast."
[spoilers removed]

The hair dye--
[spoilers removed]

First Monday morning--
[spoile..."

Wow! Rough crowd!

Thats a huge assumption after just 50 pages. At the risk of it being a spoiler - No. Thats not how.

As to the 3rd point: Two days is not a long recovery time.

Nyssa | 2023 comments I will say that the super villain like monologuing and the transition (view spoiler) did piss me off. I'm thinking: "Really, you finally get to this point and thats how you want to play it!?! Ugh!"

message 49: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth (bethandluna) | 108 comments Which is the assumption? How they got into place? Yes that is an assumption. I'm aware that it could have happened differently. My point was that she didn't go there right away, so they had time to get into position, how ever they did it, and she's shocked at how "fast" they acted.

Some of these annoyances are products of poor description and story flow. This seems more like a rough draft than a final copy. The story-line seems a bit disconnected and unformed.

If I was reading this on my own, I'd have probably stopped by now, but it's nice to actually have people that I can talk to about what I'm reading. I'm surrounded by people who don't read, and it gets kind of frustrating.

message 50: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I didn't read any last night - had to go to PT (OMG, hurt so bad) and then cook dinner. By then I was pooped. I'm going to see if I can get some reading done tonight.

« previous 1