Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Since You've Been Gone > Final Thoughts

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee What were your final thoughts on the book?

message 2: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee I found this book to be a decent read, considering I wasn't expecting to like it....one thing I was a bit disappointed about, though, was how Emily and a Dawn never patched things up...I mean it's inferred that everything turns out okay, but I would have liked to see those two reconcile

message 3: by Rosie Vy (new)

Rosie Vy | 4 comments Upon finishing this book for the 3rd time, I found this book to be well written and I really enjoyed the characters and the plot. I especially like how in the end the plot almost ended up in a full circle. However, I would of liked Emily and Dawn to make up though.

message 4: by Grace (last edited Feb 20, 2015 07:02AM) (new)

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments I enjoyed the book once I got over my annoyance and gave it a chance.

There is one detail, though, that I don't really understand. Why was the gala held at the house where Sloane used to live? Matson explains why Sloane's family lived there; and that explains why Emily was familiar with the house and knew how to get to Sloane's room. But, there's no explanation as to why the gala was held there. It's a very convenient (but not entirely convincing) coincidence.

message 5: by Jenny (last edited Feb 22, 2015 07:29AM) (new)

Jenny I am not much of a contemporary reader but had this one on my shelf to give it a try. And I was pleasantly surprised. I actually really enjoyed the story and got involved with Emily's journey. I found the items of the list varied in quite easy for her to accomplish to quite difficult and that made her summer journey a confidence booster for Emily.

I found the ending to be quite touching where she goes to visit Sloane. I for one have never had to move numerous times and I can only imagine what it is like to leave friends behind and loose contact with them over and over again. In fact, I still have the same best friend nearly 30 years after meeting (sigh, I'm old). So the fact that Emily made an effort to find Sloane and go visit her is something that no other previous friend had done for Sloane and I found it touching for both girls.

All in all, a very good first group read here. Looking forward to next month.

message 6: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee Hi jenny, I'm a bit the same - I've kept all the same friends from high school and I couldn't imagine leaving any of them behind without a word if I moved somewhere...with the exception of the Dawn thing that I mentioned above, I did like the ending, I thought it was quite sweet and it really showed how far Emily had come over the summer

message 7: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee I honestly didn't think about that Grace, I'm assuming it was so Emily could find the photos and I know they mentioned it was a massive house....it wasn't something that really bothered me all that much