Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee What was your favourite item on the list! If you were creating alist for your best friend what sort of items would you include?

message 2: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee Well, I think it's time to share some of my own thoughts! I think my favourite thing on this list was 'Penelope' - I thought that was hilarious

If I was creating a list for my best friend the number 1 item would be swimming with the Sharks (in an aquarium where it's safe)....I think I'd also put the 'kiss a stranger' one on there

message 3: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Francis Hi Ash,
I'm new here....when you refer to the 'list' where is the list?
Chris

message 4: by Ashlee (last edited Feb 20, 2015 02:53AM) (new)

Ashlee Hi Chris, welcome!

The list I'm referring to is the one that makes up the premise of our BOTM 'Since You've Been Gone'

Everything in this folder is related to that book

:)

message 5: by Grace (new)

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments I'd like to start by saying that this topic is what made me continue with the book. I had to find out what was on the list. Once I got that far, curiosity took over and I carried on to the end.

It seemed to me that the list was intended to move Emily out of her comfort zone. "Go skinny-dipping" was probably the most challenging for Emily. On the other hand "Break something" was the most moving when Emily came to realize that she had unwittingly broken something.

message 6: by Grace (last edited Feb 20, 2015 06:57AM) (new)

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments My suggestions for list items:

To anyone whose choice of books is very restricted:
Read at least one book, if translations are available in a language you are able to read, from each author who has won the Nobel Prize in Literature. [By the way, this is a challenge I've set for myself.]

To anyone who lets technology get in the way of relationships:
For one day, don't use any technology that wasn't commonly available in 1900. (If, after doing some research to discover what you're allowed to use, you decide you can't survive a day without post-1900 technology, try surviving half a day without it.)

To everyone (including Emily in the book):
Even when you think you know what your friend is going to tell you, let them say what they want to say. You might be surprised.

To Morgan Matson:
Research details of Victorian architecture - especially those that relate to the features that provide natural air-conditioning in a house.

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny I found the "ride a horse" intriguing. I really enjoyed the change in Emily where by the end she was willing to do the list as it demanded and not cheat like she had originally intended, by riding a pony instead. I know this was a very scary part of the list for her and because of the confidence she had gained throughout the summer, she did it right.

The worst for me was "steal something". I think she gave up to quickly on the sign for Sloane and ended up taking the easy route by stealing a beach towel in the middle of the night when no one was around. The sign for Sloane would have been a much bigger accomplishment and even if she failed a second time, I would have liked to have seen her try one more time to get it.

As for something I might put on a list? I might put on there "be in two places at once." It could easily be accomplished by straddling a state line or you could even go to four corners monument and be at 4 states at once! But it would make you think and for most people it would require a road trip.

message 8: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee Great list suggestions! And I definitely agree about the 'break something' being being incredibly moving, and it was a shame that this was left unresolved but also quite realistic (I thought anyway) - these sorts of things happen with teenagers, people hurt each other without even realising and it doesn't get resolved