Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Their Eyes Were Watching God
This topic is about Their Eyes Were Watching God
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Hurston, Zora Neale- Their Eyes Were Watching God; Informal Buddy Read: Starts ??

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31145 comments Mod

This topic is open for discussion of Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston.

Book Synopsis:
One of the most important works of twentieth-century American literature, Zora Neale Hurston's beloved 1937 classic, Their Eyes Were Watching God, is an enduring Southern love story sparkling with wit, beauty, and heartfelt wisdom. Told in the captivating voice of a woman who refuses to live in sorrow, bitterness, fear, or foolish romantic dreams, it is the story of fair-skinned, fiercely independent Janie Crawford, and her evolving selfhood through three marriages and a life marked by poverty, trials, and purpose.
A true literary wonder, Hurston's masterwork remains as relevant and affecting today as when it was first published - perhaps the most widely read and highly regarded novel in the entire canon of African American literature.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31145 comments Mod
Reserved

Margaret (everlastinggrace) this will be my second time to read this book, good thing I have forgotten what it is about, it will seem fresh to me I think.

message 4: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments OMG Margaret - you are missing quite the discussion over in the BR for Black Like Me. Just thought of you, that is all.

message 5: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments Well don't know when you gals will be starting, but I need a couple of weeks to get through some other prior commitments, but this has been on my bookshelf for a few years and on my tbr list since I don't even know when - years and years. It is on my A-Z challenge this year.

Margaret (everlastinggrace) Sarah! I love good discussions, man....I wish I could grab Black Like Me and join you all. We'll see, I am going to town on Monday so I might try to get all my needed books then. I am #2 on the waiting list for this book but perhaps it would be perfect because I wouldn't mind waiting until I can read it at the same time as you. I forget when Joi said she will be reading this. Whew....I think my head is spinning right now! :P

message 7: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments Let me know when someone wants to start. I will be ready.

message 8: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14471 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "OMG Margaret - you are missing quite the discussion over in the BR for Black Like Me. Just thought of you, that is all."

I read that book in High School. It really stuck with me over the years