Wilderness Survival Books discussion

Plans for 2015

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (last edited Jan 31, 2015 03:13PM) (new)

J. Gowin | 10 comments We are already a month into 2015, and by now many of us are well into the planning of our adventures for the year. So what are you planning to do this year? Are you finishing a copy of "Spray"? Have you been eyeing the mighty Mississippi south of Hannibal, MO? Or a through hike?

Whatever your plans, tell us about them. We can cheer you on, and possibly help. If nothing else, your vacation plans may be the seed of the next great adventure story.

Here is hoping that they are all stories of triumph.

message 2: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 10 comments Since I am the one who opened the thread, it seems only right that I should kick in first.

I've been planning a fly fishing trip down the New river in search of the mighty muskie.

I've also been thinking about a feral hog hunt in Florida with spears.

message 3: by H.L. (new)

H.L. Miller | 11 comments Feral hog hunt sounds fun. I did some spear hunting when I lived in Alaska.
My plans for the summer include climbing some of the local peaks in Montana: Crow Peak, Tweedy Mountain, and Warren Peak. I also have plans to take my kids fishing at a mountain lake.

message 4: by J. (last edited Feb 02, 2015 04:49PM) (new)

J. Gowin | 10 comments H.L.,

I haven't done much mountain climbing. I feel safer facing 300lbs. of angry tusk wielding pork with a pointy stick, than I do challenging gravity. But fishing a mountain lake sounds sublime. It should be a great trip for you and yours.

message 5: by H.L. (new)

H.L. Miller | 11 comments Be safe, only hunted wild hogs once, in California. Fun hunt but not sure I would want to face one on the ground Mano a Hoggo. Sublime, great word for how I feel while fishing those lakes.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisjnic) | 4 comments I'm stuck living life from a couch with a neuro-immune disorder, so no adventures for me, other than my goal of reading 50 books this year. I'd say that living vicariously through adventure and survival books is the way I feed my adventurous soul, but really, even when I could have grand adventures, I still loved to read about others'. I just happen to have more time to read these days.

So if either of you, HL and J, or anyone else shares their adventures here in the forum, I'd love to read about the adrenaline rush of spear-hunting pigs and the serenity of fishing a mountain lake. Someday I hope to add my own story of a through-hike. Someday...

message 7: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 10 comments Kris,

Thank you for your interest, and I hope that your health improves. I certainly will try to brag if I beat Porky. (Of course if the pig wins, I may find it difficult to discuss the matter.)

I also hope that more people will add to this forum. Sometimes I think that people under value the unique moments of their own lives. We see a call for tales of our exploits, and we doubt the value of ourselves. We think that to qualify we must be on safari or doing a first descent or circumnavigating the globe. But the truth is that there is a world of adventure in the first taste of pad thai and the dogged fight of a bluegill. All that is needed is a sense of wonder.

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason | 22 comments Mod
I'll be spending some time exploring Portugal in May, the Oregon coast in September, and the Uinta mountain range throughout the summer. I spend 2 days each week out in the West Desert of Utah for work and I'm hoping to get into some of the caves in the area. I was a member of the National Speleological Society for some time and enjoy getting underground. It's one of the last true frontiers that we haven't explored very much.

message 9: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 10 comments Sorry for the delay in my response.

Cool, any particularly memorable moments underground?

message 10: by Askaline (last edited Mar 09, 2015 06:24AM) (new)

Askaline (kusmi) | 10 comments Planing a 21 day hike in northern scandinavia for next July/August. Enjoying pouring at maps right now with my husband to determine a general route. There are no services so we carry our tent and food for the 21 days and it is proving a little more complicated this time because I recently had foot surgery and need to lower my pack weight (but is was already as low as I could get it).

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason | 22 comments Mod
Have you heard of the website backpacking light.com? You can read in there forums about innovative ways to reduce pack weight. They also have an amazing gear swap section in the forums where people sell their used ultralight equipment at really good prices.

I've been an ultralight freak since 1994. you may already be pretty skilled in this area. I have no idea. But if you want any tips or help feel free to send me a private message and we can chat.

message 12: by James (new)

James Kraus | 3 comments Kris wrote: "I'm stuck living life from a couch with a neuro-immune disorder, so no adventures for me, other than my goal of reading 50 books this year. I'd say that living vicariously through adventure and su..."

message 13: by James (new)

James Kraus | 3 comments The Forester

Hi Kris,
Sorry to hear about your situation. I had an inner ear dizzy problem for 6 years & had trouble walking until a doctor destroyed the inner ear with a drug, so I am somewhat better now. I escaped by eventually writing a novel, "The Forester" which include various adventures like catching & saving a big trout before they diverted a river, or dealing with some grizzly bear poachers, & with my main character finding a new love & taking a reluctant journey where he discovers nature photography which helps him to see nature differently & as a forester to manager a forest for timber while at the same time preserving the health of a forest. So it is an exciting outdoor story with lots of surprises & some nice escape into nature & beautiful natural places & story sequences. I think you might enjoy it, writing it helped me to escape & I think reading it will do the same thing for you. You can read the 1st chapter on the Kindle Store by clicking on the look inside feature.
James Kraus

message 14: by Askaline (new)

Askaline (kusmi) | 10 comments Thanks Jason. I think I will take you up on the offer and send you my pack list. An outsider's eye is always a help. I have spent many a night with Ray Jardine by my bed ;), I'm fine with light but Ultralight is too much - I'll never be ready to move to a tarp (mosquitoes, wind etc). I'll email you my list next week-end. Looking forward to your comments.

message 15: by Jason (new)

Jason | 22 comments Mod
Jardine is a great bedside friend.
Sounds great Michelle!

message 16: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisjnic) | 4 comments James wrote: "The Forester

Hi Kris,
Sorry to hear about your situation. I had an inner ear dizzy problem for 6 years & had trouble walking until a doctor destroyed the inner ear with a drug, so ..."

Thanks, James!