Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Dan's January Reads

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan in AZ (last edited Feb 01, 2015 04:59AM) (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments 1. The Big Finish, James Hall. Not the big finish we might have expected for Thorn. Guess Hall just wanted to be done with him. 4
2. Atomic Lobster, Tim Dorsey. Serge is wearing a little thin, and there's not much Florida trivia to prop up the plot. 3
3. The Burning Room, Michael Connolly. Usual excellent job. There's the real cops, and then there are the bosses, and rarely do the two agree. 4Plus
4. Personal, Lee child. Reacher hunts a sniper. I liked the book but knew the key immediately - and so would have 3 professional intelligence people. 4Minus
5. Leap, Michael Grumley. The dolphins, a gorilla, the researchers and the Navy investigators are back. A mysterious ship docked in Guyana is almost the cause of WWIII, and the unmasking of a world changing secret. What is it, and how can the team make sure it works for the best? 4
6. Poison Flower, Thomas Perry. Jane's tougher than a $2.00 steak in this one. Rambo would have been proud. 4Minus
7. The Boy Who Glowed in the Dark, Orest Stelmach. Third in the "Is there really a formula or not" series featuring the boy from Reactor 4. Could be the end of the series, but who knows? 4

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1299 comments Wow 7 books! Great month...and a month with both Child and Connolly is doubly good.

message 3: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1380 comments Thanks for mentioning LEAP by Michael Grumley. I decided to do something atypical and consider reading the first book before Leap. So I downloaded a sample of Breakthrough

message 4: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3052 comments Hall could have done much better with the Big Finish.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14620 comments Dan - Good Month!
Dan and Barry: I just checked and the first Thorn book was published in 1987 so it has been a long run. As for me, I read my first Thorn book in 1999, and typical for me back then it was the third in the series, published in 1994. I liked what I read and proceeded to read four more of the series between March and September 1999.
I tend to read more in order these days, I guess Carol and Sherry are rubbing off on me. :)
I last read Silencer #11 in 2010, so have three books remaining including the Big Finish #14. I had thought to go ahead and read it now out of order, but haven't prioritized it yet based on the comments I have seen.

message 6: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments Shomeret wrote: "Thanks for mentioning LEAP by Michael Grumley. I decided to do something atypical and consider reading the first book before Leap. So I downloaded a sample of Breakthrough

Breakthrough and Leap were entertaining reads. Nothing earth shattering and a little ax grinding but still fun.