What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA 60s/70s mystery redhead finds her doppelganger

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rook (new)

Rook McNamara (rookling) | 29 comments This is really a long shot. When I was a kid in the eighties in grade school I read a YA mystery novel from the late 60s or the 70s that, I think (think, 30 years later...) had a dark cover with a ponytailed red-haired young woman. She might have been wearing a heavy sweater, which might have been green. All I recall is that this girl, in her teens, finds herself in a situation wherein she ends up on a boat. I think a fishing boat. I'm not sure if it's in the US. Before the boat, the young woman meets another, slightly older girl who looks shockingly like her, but older and more, as I recall, curvy and sophisticated, and possibly blue-collar - the protagonist is a typical upper-middle-class suburban girl. They are unrelated, but someone else, I think, notes the resemblance, or possibly mistakes Protagonist for Curvy, and Curvy's in with criminals, and that's how Protagonist ends up in a boat. It's been scratching at the edges of my brain for years. It was never famous, I've never known anyone else who's read it, but here goes nothing!

message 2: by Kagama-the Literaturevixen (last edited Jan 31, 2015 04:35PM) (new)

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments There is a book that I inherited from my mother and her sister.Bought in the 60/70s. Maybe a long shot but the cover had a girl in agreen dress and with red hair.

The Clue In the Patchwork Quilt

I also know there was a Nancy Drew book where someone impersonates her and the confrontation is on a boat. Cant remember the title though...

Possibly The Mystery at Lilac Inn

message 3: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1088 comments Kagama is right about the second Nancy Drew book she mentioned, it was The Mystery at Lilac Inn.

message 4: by Rook (new)

Rook McNamara (rookling) | 29 comments Thank you guys, but this book was written much much later. As I said, probably 70s, maybe late 60s. I just remembered the author's last name is at the beginning of the alphabet. I do have all those classic Nancy Drews :} (Cherry Ames is my favorite forever though!)

message 5: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1088 comments Cherry Ames rules!

message 6: by Rook (new)

Rook McNamara (rookling) | 29 comments Pamela wrote: "Cherry Ames rules!"

She is the BEST. Especially the first six.

message 7: by Rook (new)

Rook McNamara (rookling) | 29 comments A few more details about the book I seek: it is written by an American woman, her last name begins probably with A or B or C, and it is not from a series nor was the author famous.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Rook, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 9: by Rook (new)

Rook McNamara (rookling) | 29 comments Still looking!

message 10: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34447 comments Mod
Rook, can you tell us more about the heroine -- girl detective, skills/interests, personality, boyfriend, family/friends/pet, etc.?

message 11: by Rook (new)

Rook McNamara (rookling) | 29 comments It's not real clear in my mind, as I read it more than 30 years ago, but the girl had a happy family if I recall, and may have had a male friend/sidekick... maybe. I don't recall animals. Just small moored boats, and smuggling, and the protagonist being mistaken at some point for a young, but adult, woman she resembles. They both have red hair, possibly ponytailed, and the older of the two is seen wearing a green cable knit fisherman's sweater. Again, I *think*. This young woman who resembles the girl hero is involved with the smuggling, at least through family or boyfriend. I believe there's a tense onboard boat scene at gunpoint.

message 12: by Rook (new)

Rook McNamara (rookling) | 29 comments The heroine has no boyfriend. Possibly a male friend. The book is not written childishly or pedantically. I wish so much I could remember more. The one thing of which I can be certain is that the author's last name began with the letter A, B, or C because I recall where it was shelved in my grade school library.

message 13: by Rook (new)

Rook McNamara (rookling) | 29 comments I can't even swear the boat related crime was smuggling, but I think it was.

message 14: by Rook (new)

Rook McNamara (rookling) | 29 comments I believe one of the young men on the boat became a romantic figure of some sort vis-à-vis the protagonist girl.