Love Inspired Historicals discussion

52 views
February Q&A and Giveaway

Comments Showing 1-50 of 197 (197 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Karen (last edited Feb 03, 2015 05:06AM) (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Come help us celebrate another wonderful month of historical romance! February is the month of love, candy hearts and lots of yummy chocolate. Oh, and roses if you're lucky. So check out these newest releases for your chance to interact with the authors and possibly win a copy.

Monday, February 2 Big Sky Homecoming

Big Sky Homecoming by Linda Ford Linda Ford
Linda Ford

Tuesday, February 3 A Daughter's Return

A Daughter's Return (Boardinghouse Betrothals #4) by Janet Lee Barton
Janet Lee Barton
Janet Lee Barton

Wednesday, February 4 The Engagement Bargain

The Engagement Bargain by Sherri Shackelford
Sherri Shackelford
Sherri Shackelford

Thursday, February 5 Sheltered By the Warrior

Sheltered by the Warrior by Barbara Phinney
Barbara Phinney
Barbara Phinney


message 2: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Yay! Can't wait!! :)


message 3: by June (new)

June | 366 comments These books all sound great! And now you have me wanting chocolate :)


message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam B | 166 comments I'm looking forward to Monday :) (that isn't usually how I feel about it ;) )


message 5: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments three great authors to chat with, going to be good times, see ya soon.


message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments June wrote: "These books all sound great! And now you have me wanting chocolate :)"

Sorry about that, June. :) Did you find any?


message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Sam wrote: "I'm looking forward to Monday :) (that isn't usually how I feel about it ;) )"

I'm glad we can brighten up your Monday. :)


message 8: by June (new)

June | 366 comments Karen wrote: "June wrote: "These books all sound great! And now you have me wanting chocolate :)"

Sorry about that, June. :) Did you find any?"



Well, there MAY or may not have been a large bag of M&M's find its way into my cart at Costco yesterday. ;) M&M's are my choice of chocolate because I can eat just one and take the chocolate edge off or eat a handful and still be okay. Thanks for asking, Karen. :)


message 9: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments Great books to look forward to! A new month! YAY!!


message 10: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments I am with ya on the m&ms! :)


message 11: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments No surprise there, Mel :)


message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments June wrote: "Karen wrote: "June wrote: "These books all sound great! And now you have me wanting chocolate :)"

Sorry about that, June. :) Did you find any?"


Well, there MAY or may not have been a large bag o..."


I like the peanut butter M&Ms. And I just discovered Red Velvet ones!


message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Happy Monday everyone! Today we welcome veteran author Linda Ford. Linda is the author of 40 books with more scheduled for release. She writes for Love Inspired Historicals. Her writing has been described as deeply emotional with a touch of humor.

Big Sky Homecoming by Linda Ford

Falling for the enermy

Newly returned Duke Caldwell is the son of her family's enemy—and everyone knows a Caldwell can't be trusted. Yet when Duke is thrown from his horse, Rose Bell puts her misgivings aside to help care for the handsome rancher. And soon there's no denying that her childhood nemesis isn't the scoundrel she thinks he is.

Duke keeps telling himself that his reasons for wanting to spend time with feisty Rose have to do only with ending their families' feud—and not with how captivating he finds her. But though Rose might be willing to mend fences with the enemy, could she ever believe Duke worthy of her love?

Montana Marriages: Three sisters discover a legacy of love beneath the Western sky

Linda, I love stories where the heroine must tend to the wounded hero. The fact they are enemies makes it all the more sweeter. With 40 books and counting, how do you put fresh twists on your stories?

*Linda is giving away a copy of her book.


message 14: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 220 comments Hi Linda,
I agree with Karen. Those are some of my favorite story plots!

Here is a question: Of all of your books do you have a favorite cover, or one that you thought was the most accurate portrayal for your story?


message 15: by June (new)

June | 366 comments Hi Linda,

I think I've read close to all of your books if not all but this one. You've done a great job of not having them even close to the same! I know a lot of them take place in Canada and this series takes place in Montana. Have you written about any other states?


Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments So excited for another Q & A!! So Linda what are you currently working on? And I saw that you were asked about your favorite cover what about your least favorite or a cover where it seemed like the artist had no idea what the book was about? Typically it seems like the covers match well but I know that is not always the case.


message 17: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Karen wrote: "Happy Monday everyone! Today we welcome veteran author Linda Ford. Linda is the author of 40 books with more scheduled for release. She writes for Love Inspired Historicals. Her writing has been de..."
Good morning, Karen, and thank you for hosting this chat.

Thank you for saying I put fresh twists on my stories. I do a lot of brainstorming when I'm coming up with events. I think different characters, different setting and different circumstances help to make things different in each story. I hope so.


message 18: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Brittany wrote: "Hi Linda,
I agree with Karen. Those are some of my favorite story plots!

Here is a question: Of all of your books do you have a favorite cover, or one that you thought was the most accurate portra..."



Hi Brittany,
I love the cover for Big Sky Homecoming. The rugged mountains and a cowboy on horseback. But I think the art department does a wonderful job on the Love Inspired Historicals.


message 19: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments June wrote: "Hi Linda,

I think I've read close to all of your books if not all but this one. You've done a great job of not having them even close to the same! I know a lot of them take place in Canada and th..."


Good morning, June.

I have another series coming that is set in Montana that involves three half-native heroes then I have a six book series planned that is set in Montana. After that I have plans to go the Badlands on North Dakota though I have yet to discuss this with my editor.

I do have a Heartsong Presents series set in Idaho. I called it the Buffalo Gals of Bonners Ferry.

The Wagon Train Reunion is set on the move from Missouri west. I did a story set in the Klondike and another in Nebraska.

When I write a series I do a lot of research and, if possible, like to actually visit the area and go to all the museums and historical sites.


message 20: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance wrote: "So excited for another Q & A!! So Linda what are you currently working on? And I saw that you were asked about your favorite cover what about your least favorite or a cover where it seemed like the..."
Hi Karen,
I am working on a Montana series about three half-native young men.

As to covers, only one caused my heart to hit bottom. The Cowboy's Unexpected Family has a big round bale of hay on the cover. Yikes. There were no tractors and certainly no round bales in that era. Thank goodness we now get a chance to proof the covers in case there is some big mistake.

Other than that the only thing has been the wrong color of hair on the hero. I can live with that.


message 21: by Sam (new)

Sam B | 166 comments Linda wrote: "June wrote: "Hi Linda,

I think I've read close to all of your books if not all but this one. You've done a great job of not having them even close to the same! I know a lot of them take place in ..."


Hi :)

I was wondering do you choose the location of a story and then find a story or do you have inspiration for a story and then decides where it's set?

Happy Monday everyone!


message 22: by June (new)

June | 366 comments Linda wrote: "Brittany wrote: "Hi Linda,
I agree with Karen. Those are some of my favorite story plots!

Here is a question: Of all of your books do you have a favorite cover, or one that you thought was the mos..."


I agree that LIH does an awesome job on their covers. I think they are my most favorite of the LI lines. I'm glad you get a chance to proof the covers. That would be more important for historical books than the romance or suspense lines.


message 23: by Rita (new)

Rita | 3 comments Hi Linda,
I enjoy reading your books...
Where is your favorite place to read a book?


message 24: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Sam wrote: "Linda wrote: "June wrote: "Hi Linda,

I think I've read close to all of your books if not all but this one. You've done a great job of not having them even close to the same! I know a lot of them ..."


Good morning, Sam.
I don't know how to answer this question because I don't know. Sometimes doing research gives me ideas. I guess I always gives me ideas even if I have the characters in my head already. I suppose I do both. I know when I visited the Klondike (after writing a book set there) I 'found' three characters. I will be writing their stories in the future.


message 25: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Rita wrote: "Hi Linda,
I enjoy reading your books...
Where is your favorite place to read a book?"


I'd like to day on a lounge chair on a beach in Hawaii. lol. but mostly I read in my favorite, almost-worn out swivel rocking chair, or in bed.


message 26: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Shackelford (sherrishackelford) | 169 comments I'm excited to read the Montana Marriages series!


message 27: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Sherri wrote: "I'm excited to read the Montana Marriages series!"

Hi Sherri,
I hope you enjoy these stories. I mentioned in other Goodread chats that the heroines started out being called Sage, Crocus and Rose. Now they are Cora, Lilly and Rose. I find it hard to come up with names. Some I don't like. Many I've already used. And I have a little rule that I don't use names of family members. I may have to change that!


message 28: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments By the way, here is a little bit of news for everyone. The book I am currently working on will be my 50th book.


message 29: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Hello Linda, lot of good questions this morning and early too. I like reading your stories and no matter where they are set you pull off a great story with the characters being so lovable. I like when someone is in distress and needs help. your story will be a great read.
Usually it is a damsel in distress -was there a reason for picking the male? LIH does have good covers, this one is great.Do you have a special setting that you like best from all the ones you have done?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.


message 30: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Paula-O wrote: "Hello Linda, lot of good questions this morning and early too. I like reading your stories and no matter where they are set you pull off a great story with the characters being so lovable. I like..."

Hi Paula-O,
Thanks for visiting. Yes, it's early. I haven't had my breakfast yet. :-)
Why did I have an injured hero? Because I needed first of all to do something different. I'd already had 2 heroes coming to the Bell farm. And secondly, because I needed to bring Rose into Duke's world so she could learn who he really was.

I would have to say Eden Valley (a Canadian setting) was my favorite because it's close to home and also because I set so many books there that it felt like home. There are three more Eden Valley stories coming out this fall--Oct. Nov. Dec. The miniseries is called Christmas in Eden Valley.


message 31: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Good morning everyone! I'm looking forward to this month's Q&A. I love the covers of the books and the stories sound wonderful!

Just want everyone to know I'm on the job and taking down names to throw in the "hat" for the winners drawing at the end of the week, so keep the questions and comments coming. Also, please mention if you already have any of the books being showcased so if your name comes up as a winner I'll not assign you to that particular author.

Have fun, everyone!


message 32: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Hi Linda. I was wondering which you prefer to write about...Canadian history or American history? And why? Do you find one more varied than the other?


message 33: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Dorothy wrote: "Hi Linda. I was wondering which you prefer to write about...Canadian history or American history? And why? Do you find one more varied than the other?"

I prefer to write Canadian history because I am more familiar with it. To do American history I have to do tons more research because they are vastly different. I always hope I get the facts straight in both cases and so far have not had any complaints so I guess I do.

The book I wrote on the Klondike Gold rush (Klondike Medicine Woman) was based entirely on distance research but when I visited the area after the release of the book, I was pleasantly surprised at how accurately I had portrayed it. Of course with the Internet research is so much easier than it used to be.


message 34: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Hi Linda! Looks good! I have enjoyed reading all the questions and answers. :)


message 35: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Dorothy wrote: "Good morning everyone! I'm looking forward to this month's Q&A. I love the covers of the books and the stories sound wonderful!

Just want everyone to know I'm on the job and taking down names to t..."

If you draw a name and that person has my book already, I can send Wagon Train Reunion which is due for release in April which means I should have my copies later this month.


message 36: by Dee (new)

Dee (brooklynqueen) | 1 comments Hi Linda,

I always find myself drawn into your character's lives from the first sentences. I don't know how you manage to write so many books yet keep each so fresh and emotionally powerful. Do you feel a deep connection to the characters when you're telling their stories?

(Dorothy - I've already pre-ordered this book and am so looking forward to it!)


message 37: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments Hello Linda! Always great to see you here! You know how much I love your books! I've been looking forward to Rose's story and am excited that we finally get to read it! Having Duke as the hero will certainly be interesting! Can't wait to see how that develops! Is there a season you enjoy writing about over another? I know some authors like writing about winter in their books more than other seasons so I was just wondering about you!!!


message 38: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Dee wrote: "Hi Linda,

I always find myself drawn into your character's lives from the first sentences. I don't know how you manage to write so many books yet keep each so fresh and emotionally powerful. Do yo..."


Hi Dee,
I love your comments. Thank you. I am never sure I succeeded in making my characters strong and likable so I am happy to hear I do in your experience. When I am in the story, I am deeply involved with them. Unfortunately, three books later I have trouble recalling them. I know. So bad of me.


message 39: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Valri wrote: "Hello Linda! Always great to see you here! You know how much I love your books! I've been looking forward to Rose's story and am excited that we finally get to read it! Having Duke as the hero ..."

Valri,
Nice to see you here. I never thought about what seasons I prefer to write. I don't think I have a preference. Each season has it's own appeal and its own challenges.


message 40: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments Does this book have children in it? I always enjoy when you put children in your books! I hope you have put the characters from your first two books in there so we can "check in" on how their lives our going :) You know how I like to keep up to date on those people! ha ha!


message 41: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments I am with you, Valri! I love it when we can see old characters in the new stories. :)


message 42: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Valri wrote: "Does this book have children in it? I always enjoy when you put children in your books! I hope you have put the characters from your first two books in there so we can "check in" on how their live..."

No children in this book but a child-like man whom I hope you will all find endearing.


message 43: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Melody wrote: "I am with you, Valri! I love it when we can see old characters in the new stories. :)"

You will meet Rose's sisters again plus their new husbands and Lonnie and Teddy from the other stories.


message 44: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments Fantastic! Looks like the whole gang will be there! I am super anxious to read it now - not that there was any doubt! That's one of my biggest reasons I love your books so much, Linda! You always involve characters from other books in your series! It's a big PLUS in series books for me :)


message 45: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Valri wrote: "Fantastic! Looks like the whole gang will be there! I am super anxious to read it now - not that there was any doubt! That's one of my biggest reasons I love your books so much, Linda! You alwa..."

Thanks. :-)


message 46: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Linda wrote: "Dorothy wrote: "Hi Linda. I was wondering which you prefer to write about...Canadian history or American history? And why? Do you find one more varied than the other?"

I prefer to write Canadian h..."


I thought that might be the case. I remember the vast amount of research we did for the Gold Rush series. You are so prolific with your writing you have probably forgotten, but I wrote Gold Rush Baby, the final book of that series. I loved your cover for Klondike Medicine Woman.


message 47: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Linda wrote: "Dorothy wrote: "Good morning everyone! I'm looking forward to this month's Q&A. I love the covers of the books and the stories sound wonderful!

Just want everyone to know I'm on the job and taking..."


I'll keep this in mind, Linda. Thanks.


message 48: by Karen (new)

Karen Kirst | 710 comments Linda wrote: "By the way, here is a little bit of news for everyone. The book I am currently working on will be my 50th book."

Wow, that is amazing! An accomplishment to be proud of. :)


message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahrichmond98) | 8 comments Awesome list of books, I would love the chance to read them!!!


message 50: by Linda (new)

Linda Ford | 307 comments Sarah wrote: "Awesome list of books, I would love the chance to read them!!!"
I hope you get the chance. Maybe you will win a free copy.:-)


« previous 1 3 4
back to top