Fairy Tales Eclectic discussion

Water Song: A Retelling of The Frog Prince
This topic is about Water Song
Other Fairy Tale Retellings > (The Frog Prince) Water Song - February 2015 Group Discussion

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments We'll be reading Water Song: A Retelling of "The Frog Prince" by Suzanne Weyn in February!

message 2: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments I'm planning to start this next Monday. Looks like it's going to be a shorter book, less than 200 pages. I think that's great for our shorter month;)

Lisa | 254 comments Agreed - a shorter book will be good. I put in my reservation for it from our interstate library, so should arrive the end of the week or beginning of next week.

Rachmi  | 117 comments It's available in Kobo too! Thanks Heidi :) Should we read another The Frog Price to compare with Water Song?

Lisa | 254 comments I like the idea of comparisons, but for this month I doubt I will have time to read another. Too much to do to get ready to leave on March 1.

message 6: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Rachmi wrote: "It's available in Kobo too! Thanks Heidi :) Should we read another The Frog Price to compare with Water Song?"

I think I might:) It's kind of fun to do the comparison, so if you feel up to it too, and have time, let's do it!

"The Frog Prince" is on the Guttenberg site:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2591/2...

And there is also this:

http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/eboo...

message 7: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Lisa wrote: "Agreed - a shorter book will be good. I put in my reservation for it from our interstate library, so should arrive the end of the week or beginning of next week."

YAY!

Rachmi  | 117 comments Heidi wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "It's available in Kobo too! Thanks Heidi :) Should we read another The Frog Price to compare with Water Song?"

I think I might:) It's kind of fun to do the comparison, so if you fee..."

Yes, reading for comparison is kind of fun for me too. I think I'm going to give it a try too. I might read The Frog Prince by Brothers Grimm as comparison and the best thing is it suits with my other reading challenge :D

message 9: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Rachmi wrote: "Heidi wrote: "Rachmi wrote: "It's available in Kobo too! Thanks Heidi :) Should we read another The Frog Price to compare with Water Song?"

I think I might:) It's kind of fun to do the comparison,..."

Cool!

message 10: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments drip. drip. drip. Okay, so I'm trying to finish a book, 700+ pp, & I thought I'd be finished this past weekend...but no! About a 100 pp to go. As soon as I finish it's all about The Frog Prince and Water Song for me:D

message 11: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa | 254 comments Still hasn't came in and no one knows why, so putting another hold on it.

Rachmi  | 117 comments I just finished it. Liked it, not as much as I liked The Fire Rose but as my first The Frog Prince, I think it's a good one. Now I need to read Grimms version to compare it. And after that ready to discuss it with you guys.

message 13: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Rachmi wrote: "I just finished it. Liked it, not as much as I liked The Fire Rose but as my first The Frog Prince, I think it's a good one. Now I need to read Grimms version to compare it. And after that ready to..."

Ooh, you're ahead of everyone! Okay, got to get to this!

Lisa wrote: "Still hasn't came in and no one knows why, so putting another hold on it."

Fingers crossed! I'll definitely be starting before the end of the week.

Deedee | 1 comments My copy just came in :0). I read The Frog Prince in Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales and I have read the first chapter of Water Song: A Retelling of "The Frog Prince". So far ... surprised that the setting is Belgium during the first world war ... I'll have to see what the author does with the story in that particular setting ....

message 15: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Deedee wrote: "My copy just came in :0). I read The Frog Prince in Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales and I have read the first chapter of Water Song: A Retelling of "The Frog Prince". So ..."

Yay! Interesting on the Belgium first world war setting. Starting tonight!

message 16: by Heidi (last edited Feb 17, 2015 01:07PM) (new) - added it

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments February hasn't been as crazy as January, but it's still been hectic. I also got some upsetting medical news about a family member, but there's a good chance it's all going to be fine!

Anyway...I have read The Frog Prince in Grimm's Fairy Tales and oy! That princess threw the poor frog against the wall!!!! I'm surprised he still wanted to marry her after that, lol.

I've also started Water Song. Looks like "the golden ball" and "the well" are two of the elements from the original that have been used. I'm not far in, but hope to read more over the next few days. (I'm at Chapter 3.) Curious to see how it all plays out:)

message 17: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa | 254 comments Finally came in to the library, so I got to pick it up today. Will start reading tomorrow. I haven't read the Grimm version of The Frog Prince - throwing him against the wall does sound a bit drastic. I have read several other versions over the years and have always enjoyed the humor of them. However, I am expecting Water Song to be much more serious due to the setting.

message 18: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments There is some humor in Water Song:) Sort of. I'm about 2/3s through, and given the setting, it's not that heavy. It has a lot to do with the way the story is developed, imo. So far the retelling is staying true to the original tale's structure. (view spoiler) I'll finish this weekend.

message 19: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa | 254 comments I think I have gotten to chapter 5 or 6. I am really enjoying the historical aspect of this rendition, since I like studying history anyway. I like that they referenced the various components of WW1, such as the isolationist policies of the USA at the timeframe. Love her spunkiness when talking to the German soldiers.

message 20: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Lisa wrote: "I think I have gotten to chapter 5 or 6. I am really enjoying the historical aspect of this rendition, since I like studying history anyway. I like that they referenced the various components of WW..."

The historical details are wonderful, and don't overwhelm the story. I love the way "the frog" is done:) I'll finish tonight, only a few more chapters.

message 21: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments I finished the book Sunday night. The structure of the retelling adhered closely to the original, imo. My favorite part of the story remained "the frog". I thought they way that was done was clever. I would have actually enjoyed more development of that. Overall, a pleasant, easy read.

message 22: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa | 254 comments I finally finished! There was no way that I was going to get on a plane and leave a book half read. Water Song was a nice, easy read. The frog prince aspect was portrayed in a surprisingly unique way, and I really enjoyed the whole "mysticism" surrounding him. It was just enough to add to the plot and character development without taking away from the things that were actually happening in the story. Really enjoyed this retelling!

message 23: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Lisa wrote: "I finally finished! There was no way that I was going to get on a plane and leave a book half read...The frog prince aspect was portrayed in a surprisingly unique way, and I really enjoyed the whole "mysticism" surrounding him."

Yay, Lisa! That must mean you're leaving on your amazing trip soon:D Thanks for popping in before you go. Have a wonderful safe trip!

I have to agree, I thought "the frog" was just wonderful and creative, and the mysticism surrounding the character was lovely.

message 24: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa | 254 comments Yes, we left on the first and are here in England.

message 25: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Garrett (heidi_g) | 553 comments Lisa wrote: "Yes, we left on the first and are here in England."

Oh, wow:) Have fun!!!!!