Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > Book cover

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suni (new)

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

message 3: by Bennett (new)

Bennett Hinds | 10 comments PLEASE , PLEASE ALL I WANT TO DO IS PUT THE PICTURE OF THE COVER OF MY BOOK UP ......... WHY IS IT I HAVE TO JUMP HOOPS ... AND GO THROUGH SOOOOOO MANY CHANGES ...... IT DISCOURAGES MANY, MANY, MANY PEOPLE. I ALREADY HAVE A PAGE ON FACE BOOK .... NEW BOOK COVER. BHINDSBENJI@AOL.COM

message 4: by Bennett (new)

Bennett Hinds | 10 comments HELP

message 5: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Feb 04, 2015 11:34AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Bennett wrote: "PLEASE , PLEASE ALL I WANT TO DO IS PUT THE PICTURE OF THE COVER OF MY BOOK UP ......... WHY IS IT I HAVE TO JUMP HOOPS ... AND GO THROUGH SOOOOOO MANY CHANGES ...... IT DISCOURAGES MA..."

Just add a new edition or request a librarian to add for you if unsure how (or would just prefer librarian do for you). Then follow directions in link above to make the new cover the featured/primary/default one (if not set, goodreads just has the most popular edition show in places like authors pages and search results).

The "Hoops" are because goodreads keeps all published books. Even if no longer in print. Even if so rare only one member has a copy catalogued. Even if cover is changed 12,346+ times.

On bookseller sites such as Amazon, they only show covers for what is currently for sale ("product pages")—that's why authors/publishers and other data feeds update/overwrite book covers on such sites.

On goodreads, there are no product pages. Only book data.

By trying to overwrite/update a bookcover you are trying to vandalize potentially millions of member book catalogs, listopias, book discussions, bookclub (group) challenges, bookclub discussions, etc.

Some readers here are compulsive about using a particular edition/cover in their cataloging and other activities. (Often whatever one they purchased, sampled, or used to qualify in various bookcover lists and challenges.)

Some readers don't care and will use whatever you set as featured/primary/default edition. (Often authors set the edition/cover currently for sale as the default or the edition that nets them the most royalties.)

Goodreads, unlike booksellers, just doesn't have "product pages" you can update or give a flying fig which bookcover is now the one for sale. Goodreads has book data in widespread use by a community of millions of members that might be impacted by what you call "hoops."

message 6: by Philip (new)

Philip (burnnerman) | 5913 comments #3 - Not sure what this is in response to, but it is pretty easy to put a cover image up. If you were part of the Author program you could do it yourself for any book without one, and since you are not, all you have to do is provide a link to the book and the cover image from an appropriate location.

If you want to update the cover image see the above message.

I do not even see where you have requested to get a new cover image uploaded.

message 7: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Feb 04, 2015 12:25PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) It does look to me, upon looking harder at enlarged existing cover and the suggested replacement, that this isn't a cover change. Just an improved file. So, could a librarian please replace? If not, could a librarian please repair the existing cover images which fails to enlarge correctly?

If you are trying to replace a lower quality image with the exact same image but a better quality file, just ask a librarian to do for you. That is one exception to the no-overwriting cover images rule.

I apologize if I misunderstood; read like replacing an existing cover with a different cover based on first couple of posts (and if cover-replacing librarian forgets to attach an explanatory note for the cover change could start the misunderstanding all over again.).

The "hoops" and "rules" on cover changes are such a frequent issue they are in the FAQs; unfortunately, posts about replacing cover images create a kneejerk "see the authors FAQs" reaction for me and others here. Again, my apologies.

message 8: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments re 1, we can replace book cover images with better-quality images if the covers are identical. however, we can only use cover images from certain approved sources. i didn't recognize the URl for the image you linked to, so I couldn't use it. However, Amazon had a slightly bigger/better version of the same cover, and we ARE allowed to use Amazon. Swapped cover images.