The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1)
This topic is about Gardens of the Moon
Malazan > GotM: Book Seven - The Fete

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Antonis (antonakis) | 12 comments Still reading book 7 and I'm like 60-70 pages from the end but a questions has been nagging me. Is there a Darujhistan army and if so, where is it and its commanders? I know that Darujhistan is a city based on commerce with mostly economical and political power but I can't imagine it surviving for so many years upon years without an army. So where is that army, what with the Empire closing in and everybody knowing about it and the fate of Pale? Shouldn't the generals and commanders of such an army feature prominently on the political scene? I've grown to trust Erikson strongly but this question can't escape my mind.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments That's a pretty excellent question. Maybe they don't have their own Army and just the Free Cities have one for all of them? And since it's the last free city standing the army has already been decimated by the Malazan Empire?

I honestly don't know if it was mentioned or not

But again like in the first part, I have no idea where to go with speculation. I'm not sure I even fully grasped what happened in this book. But I do know that I thoroughly enjoyed the read.

End had a nice way of coming about while still leaving lots to explore.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Oh yeah and totally did not see Rake and his homies being dragons. That was frakking awesome! The scene between him and the giant demon was great.

Justine (justinescholefield) | 318 comments I don't have the book in front of me right now, but wasn't there something in there about two cities, one without allies the other strong and the strong fell first - meaning Pale? I took that to mean Darujhistan didn't have an army or any nearby allies. Also just the descriptions of where it is fit what the wiki quote says about it being so remote. That kind of breeds its own form of protection and precludes the need for a standing army (at least, from the perspective of Darujhistan).

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Man, yeah, I totally missed all the hints about it.

Antonis (antonakis) | 12 comments For some reason, I got the hints about this very early on. I never thought about Rake sounding like Drake though, good catch!
A lot of comments up there, and I liked reading all of them. It makes my understanding of some important details better.

Dara (cmdrdara) Heh Raest. There's one scene of his that sticks in my mind of but I can't talk about it.

message 8: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Chapter 20:

- "This is not the Eel you are looking for"
- Prince K'azz, leader of the Crimson Guard, under Caladan Brood, sends someone to protect the coin bearer from Serrat, Anomandor's chief mage assassin. So it seems Brood and Anomandor are working at cross purposes?
- So the Tyrant is not yet at full power until he recoveres his Finnest?
- The dragons depart Moon's Spawn and attack the Tyrant. The five so far do not seem enough of a match to kill him.
- All paths now converge on the Fete, with Kruppe and Rake now also in attendance.
- Mammot wakes. He too is more than he seemed - both Mage in the T'orrud Cabal, and something else seems to be going on between he and Anomander.
- Icarium's gifts - the clock, the naming of the years - Icarium is known by Anomander. So the names have significance. The end of the Five Tusks, the beginning of the Moon's Tears.
- Baruk realizes now that the coin bearer is Mammot's nephew
- "Baruk had no time to think about Rake's sudden departure. It was his first mistake of the day."
- Lorn runs into the bridgeburners. The BB's are playing a rather interesting made up game using the deck of dragons. While they are not adepts in the traditional sense, they seem to be good at reading the cards, or at the very least drawing cards of significance. They replay the battle between Rake and the Hounds with their madeup game. "The Virgin of Death" - had her teeth pulled, Rope out of the picture - Rope no longer inhabits Sorry. "The Captain of Light" is rising, dancing on the Knights Shadow - not sure who the Captain of Light is yet, can think of several possibilities but nothing conclusive.
- Lorn attempts to take command of the BBs, but Whiskeyjack is already ahead of her in his plans.
- The BBs will be hired muscle at the Fete
- Lorn needs leaves for two hours, presumably to place the Finnest somewhere.
- As far as I can tell, Circle breaker is just the soldier with the midnight guard under the tower that has overheard Orr's conversations. Why he seems of more importance now, or why Baruk is considering betraying him, I am not sure. The Circle Breaker is also an informant of the Eel. He was the first to mention the Seer to the South. He gets a post at the Fete.
- Sorry/Apsalar (its funny we never learned her real name yet) continues to have flashbacks/memories of things she say/knew while possessed by the Rope. Her instincts as an assassin take over on the roof. How much of her previous powers/abilities will resurface when needed?
- There is some sleeping goddess far down in the earth. The Tyrant is pondering waking her

On to the next chapter!

message 9: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Chapter 21
- woo, what a blast. Apparently Rallick and Murrilio's worries that Rallick was not up to the duel were severely misplaced
- Lorn continues to break down
- Somehow, Sorry/Apsalar can see in the dark. She's still got some powers, it seems.
- The dragons fight a losing battle the Tyrant as the battle rages closer and closer to Darujhistan.
- Something weird with the Grayfaces - Kalem notices it. I've been wondering a while what there role in the plot is. They are mentioned many times, but never do much. So they inhabit all the tunnels under the city - will something happen beneath the city? All that gas at their disposal.
- Who wears what kind of mask is entertaining.
- Rake becomes Rallick's second
- Baruk knew Kruppe was the Eel (all along?)
- The Circle Breaker hopefully gets to live out a nice landed retirement
- D'Arle know the look of an assassination. Of course the guild would never be so bold, he D'Arle holds no grudge.
- Crokus arrives at the ball.
- "Justice had seduced him and he wondered what he had just lost, he wondered at the death he felt spreading within him"...Seems the quest for vengeance and justice consuming one may be a theme. We saw Captain Paran come to a similar conclusion about his quest.
- Seems Challice was waiting for someone else - Crokus is kidnapping her now?

Antonis (antonakis) | 12 comments Sky's bullet-point summaries are awesome! Even after having finished reading this first book, they remind of of important details that have slipped my mind and will probably be crucial during the following book reads.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Agreed! Have enjoyed Sky's recaps

message 12: by Sky (last edited Mar 01, 2015 09:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Thanks! Yeah, I am hoping I can come back to them in subsequent books for either reminders or clues.

Ch 22:

- Onos T'oolan is a badass - Sword of he First Empire (Imperial champion of the Imass)
- Tool and the tyrant are pulled into Kruppe's dream, along with K'rul. Tool is called again to duty by Pran Chole, the Imass bonecaster who helped saved Tattersail
- "In this age even a mortal can kill a god. The tide of enslavement has reversed itself. It is now the gods who are the slaves, and the mortals our masters - though they know it not."
- Tool almost kills Raest, who narrowly escapes by taking possession of Mammot.
- I am a little confused about the thing growing in the garden. At first I assumed it was the Finnest, but at times it's described as taking the shape of the house, which was the prison that Tool was building for Raest.
- The seer still inhabits Sorry
- Baruk's magic rust dust was Otataral dust, the same thing Lorn's sword is made of. Rallick rubbed it in his skin, so now his is a walking mage killer?
- The BB's finally succeed in hiring the assassin's guild, or at least Vorcan herself, to kill the mages
- Whom they ironically join forces with in the next scene to fight off Raest
- The empress was once an assassin
- Rallick's anti-magic self sits on the stump (the Finnest, growing, right?)
- Rallick sends Crokus to warn his uncle and the cities mages of the contract against them
- Rake goes to K'rul's Belfry
- Raest possesses Mammot
- Paran is transported to the land before time where he fights Raest's Finnest alongside Tool.
- Paran has the blood of the hounds in him - a side-effect of freeing the hounds from Rake's sword's warren? Or a side effect of tasting the hounds blood (both when he touches it after Rake kills them, or when Chance stabs Gear?)
- Quick Ben can access 7 Warrens? Holy hell. There are 9 human accessible warrens total and 4 elder that we know of.
- Who or what is Azath? "They arise where unchained power threatens life"
- So all the mines laid by the bridgeburners will ignite the gas under the city andblow it sky-high!

message 13: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Ch 23:

Overall, maybe I missed something, but for all the work going in to protect the coin bearer, Crokus has not played much of a role in the story, at least in the shaping over major events, as far as I can tell. His only bit of luck, besides surviving death no more frequent or luckily than any other character in the book, was when the assassin's bolt misses him as he picks the coin up. Perhaps the coins significance will be revealed in the final chapter?

- We again see that Paran is bound to the hounds when the Hound Rood senses kinship in Paran
- Paran is warned once again to try not to be noticed :)
- Moon's Spawn appears over Darujhistan
- Lorn releases Tayschrenn's Demon Lord
- More mention of the Azath. Is it the Azath house that imprisoned Raest? Apparently Azath have a hunger for mages
- Vorcan begins her assassination of the mages. Two die at the same time the Demon Lord appears
- K'rul appears before Rake. K'rul can only manifest in his temple, and in Kruppe's dreams. K'rul ponders his purpose in this age, asks Rake what he gets from life, if its all worth it.
- The Demon Lord, Lord of the Galayn, is a soletaken. So is Rake. Rake takes the form of a huge black dragon
- Crokus meets his Crimson Guard protectors, sent by Brood and Prince K'azz.
- The Sixth Blade, along with Meese and ???, sent by The Eel, kill Lorn
- Paran shows up shortly thereafter, takes her Otatarl sword.
- The twins appear to Paran. Complain about giving Chance to The Rope. Paran scares them away telling them Cotillion is coming after them with Chance.
- Rake bears down on The Gaylayn Lord, as we begin the exciting conclusion....

message 14: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Ch 24:

- Rake kills the Gaylayn demon
- Rake tells Crokus Brood convinced him to spare him
- Vorcan attacks Baruk. He is helped by Rake's assassin-mage
- Crokus defeats Vorcan by hitting her with a brick (!!!!)
- Tayscrenn is in a coma after the demon's death
- The empress tries have Dujek arrested and executed, but fails. The rebellion has begun
- Dujek names Whiskeyjack his second, puts Paran in command of the BBs.
- Dujek will parlay with Brood the next day, all rides on what he knows about the Pannion Seer
- Dujek orders the BB to the Catlin Plains
- Kalam and Fiddler decide to take Apsalar back home to Ito Kano.
- Coll wakes up, agrees to help the BBs get out of Darujhistan
- So what is the tree-house? At first I took it for the acorn/Finnest growing. Now it seems it is something of the Azath. I thought Raest would be imprisoned in it, yet its roots just pulled it down into the earth?
- Now Rallick and Vorcan enter the house. Rake's mages see the house, Call it Azath Edierimarn, Pillars of Innocence.
- Similar to the Deadhouse of Malaz cities (the name of the next book!), which allowed Kellanved and Dancer to enter - who are now presumably ascended to Shadowthrone and Cotillion
- Will Rallick and Vorcan similarly ascend?
- Moon's Spawn departs for the south, presumably towards Pannion Seer?

Epilogue
- Quick Ben has some plan Whiskeyjack's gonna shit bricks when he hears about, but i have no idea what it is.
- Tattersail speaks inside of Paran's head
- Crokus, who's joined Apsalar, Fiddler, and Kalem, throws the coin into the Azur.

I still have no idea what the significance of the coin was the entire book!

message 15: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Alex wrote: "Did we ever find out who Circle Breaker is"

I always thought Circle Breaker was the guard spying on Orr, That Kruppe sends away during the Fete. But then I was confused around the seeming importance of "The Circle Breaker" and him being just a lowly guard on midnight duty, so I may have been totally confused.

Yeah, the dragon thing was hinted at alot. Anomander also reminds me of Salomander :)

Can't wait to start DHG, and see which things hinted at are clues for future books and which i'm just reading too much into, and to see what happens with the bridgeburners and the rebellion, and who this pannion seer fellow is!

message 16: by Antonis (last edited Mar 01, 2015 01:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Antonis (antonakis) | 12 comments Ch 22
Sky wrote: "- I am a little confused about the thing growing in the garden. At first I assumed it was the Finnest, but at times it's described as taking the shape of the house, which was the prison that Tool was building for Raest."
- Who or what is Azath? "They arise where unchained power threatens life"

The way I understood it the thing growing is probably the Azath. But as to what exactly it is... I have a strong suspicion that we're gonna find out a lot more in Deadhouse Gates.

"- Paran has the blood of the hounds in him - a side-effect of freeing the hounds from Rake's sword's warren? Or a side effect of tasting the hounds blood (both when he touches it after Rake kills them, or when Chance stabs Gear?)"

I was wondering about that myself and I could not come up with any anything clever. Those two sound like two very plausible ideas though. Could be either of them.

Ch 23
"- The Demon Lord, Lord of the Galayn, is a soletaken. So is Rake. Rake takes the form of a huge black dragon"

Here's one example why I love reading group discussions. We hear from halfway that the empress' aim is to weaken Rake by releasing Raest so that he can be beat later. When I was reading, I was not getting that; there was no army at the gates, who would finish him off? Well, there's the answer: the release of the demon lord was planned along with the release of Raest! This was in front of my eyes the whole time but I didn't make the connection. Now I get it!

Ch 24
"- The empress tries have Dujek arrested and executed, but fails. The rebellion has begun"

I can't remember when that happened? Was that told/mentioned by Dujek during his bone-call with the BBs? I can't remember any of the details on this.

"- Kalam and Fiddler decide to take Apsalar back home to Ito Kano."

Didn't anybody else find this a bit strange and suspicious? There's something else going on here...

"- Now Rallick and Vorcan enter the house..."

But isn't Vorcan already dead? Or isn't she? Can we even be sure of death in this world anymore? :p

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Sky wrote: "Alex wrote: "Did we ever find out who Circle Breaker is"

I always thought Circle Breaker was the guard spying on Orr, That Kruppe sends away during the Fete. But then I was confused around the seeming importance of "The Circle Breaker" and him being just a lowly guard on midnight duty, so I may have been totally confused."

Yeah, CB was the dude spying on Orr. He's in one scene before the Fete talking with another guard and ends up taking that guard's place at the party, which is how he ended up there to receive Kruppe's letter about retirement.

I was thinking CB would be a character that we'd already met, but it seems he's just a spy for the Eel that I'm not sure we'll find out any more about. At least hoping we're not done with him, interesting dude

message 18: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Antonis wrote: "I can't remember when that happened? Was that told/mentioned by Dujek during his bone-call with the BBs? I can't remember any of the details on this.

Yeah, during the last bone-call (hehe!) between Dujek and Whiskeyjack, Dujek says they intercept a Claw bearing a message from the Empress to Tayscrenn to arrest and immediately execute Dujek. "I've just been outlawed by the Empire...We're on our own friend"

Didn't anybody else find this a bit strange and suspicious? There's something else going on here...

Yep, something's going on there! I'm sure will find out more next book. I also want to know what Quick Ben is up to!

But isn't Vorcan already dead? Or isn't she? Can we even be sure of death in this world anymore? :p

So were Kellanved and Dancer :P But Vorcan isn't dead, Rallick carries her unconscious into the house.

message 19: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Scott wrote: "At least hoping we're not done with him, interesting dude"

The epilogue ends with CB at the bow of the boat Crokus, Kalam, Fiddler, and Apsalar are on.

I went back and read the note Kruppe hands to CB...It tells him that the note will provide him passage to Dhavran, where an estate has been purchased in CB's name, and to seek out the river longboat named Enskalader and show the sigil to the crew members aboard, who are also agents of the Eel.

Turns out the crew members are Kalam, Fiddler, Crokus, and Apsalar :P

Dhavran is on the western shore of Lake Azur, so I dont know if CB will continue on with the BBs in the next book, or retire to his estate at the end of the boat ride.

Richard Eyres (richardeyres) I finished this book over the weekend. This may upset a few people, but I gave to 3 stars. It was a good book, but I didn't love it. It had some good strong characters, but most I didn't really care for. Now, this may change as I continue the books and I hold the right to amend my rating once the series is done.

There is a lot going on, and a LOT of named characters. Maybe a little too many too soon. Kruppe, WhiskyJack, Quick Ben, Sorry and Tattersail were enjoyable and I liked their progression. Paran's progress was predictable - but this is good.

The overall story has many levels, therefore I do not expect any obvious information on this at the moment (such as the coin - exactly why was the coin important and why were people after the bearer, and now its be disposed of - what will happen? Is the bearer still important or is it the coin).
The local plot was good. It took me in a slightly different direction than my first thoughts (after reading 2 chapters).

I believe that this is a slow burner series that will contain some amazing set pieces.

I listened to this mainly on audio (with the odd check in paperback). I didn't find it that hard to follow and I thought the narrator did a great job.

I think I will need to read/listen to another book between each book (The Tao series first). This will slow me down a little so I think I will read at my own pace away from the group read.

message 21: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
That's a fairly common reaction actually. I'm surprised your the first one to have it. We seem to have had a remarkably high amount of positive reaction to the book.

message 22: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat | 1177 comments After setting it aside twice to read 2 other books inbetween, I finally finished. I'm with Richard on the 3 stars.

There were just a few too many character for my liking. It's not that I could not remember all of them at all times, but the fact that in order to keep up with what's happening with all of them the story spends too much time away from characters I want to read about until it comes back to them.

I did not like some of the resolutions at the end. Raest transforming the countryside into a field of volcanos and taking down 2 black dragons and almost taking down a red one sounds like awesome power. But then he posesses a rather old and fragile body (Mammot) and is taken out by a mass of roots wh have never heard about, ever.

And Vorcan, a high priestess with a death touch no less, taken out by 2 flying bricks. Riiight.

I LOVED that Rake turned out to be a dragon. I had my suspicions about that ever since I noticed his eyes changed colour.

Also liked that Paran finally has a command. Well, of sorts.

I have bought Deadhouse Gates, but I'll take a break before reading it.