The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Malazan > GotM: Book Four - Assassins

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott (new)

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments So, yeah, wow. That was an awesome section.

Kalam and Quick Ben are quickly becoming two of my favorites to follow. That whole scene with Quick in the Warren of shadows was kick ass. And not to mention the fight between them and the Tiste Andii.

Seems that Sorry is working against the Empress but I have a feeling that if Ben, Kalam and Whiskeyjack decide they are going to leave the empire that could make one hell of an alliance. Would be even sweeter if they team up with Kruppe and his boys.

From what it seems we are going to get a showdown at the Gadrobi Hills ... excxxxcellent (in best mr burns voice)

And I might be mistaken but it seems as Baruk is also one of these Ascendants. Or maybe they were talking about Vocran the assassin's guild leader.

Either way, holy shit, my mind is being blown all over the place

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
I think the best scene with Kalam and Quick Ben is yet to come, but I don't remember when exactly it happens and don't want to spoil anything.

They were my favorites in this book, and stayed that way for the duration of the series.

Though Fiddler and the rest of the Bridge Burners are up there as well.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Definitely like the scenes with the bridge burners so far. Only complaint is there haven't been enough of them!

Love how Whiskeyjack admits to himself that the two guys (can't remember the names) who love to blow shit up aren't good soldiers but great saboteurs. And then they want to blow up the council like right after that

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Fiddler and Hedge most likely.

message 5: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

And can you elaborate on this?

"And not to mention the fight between them and the Tiste Andii."

message 6: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

Assuming this is chapter 13, sounds like that might be the scene I was thinking of..

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments When Kalam and QB tail Rallick to the assassin's meeting and then Rake's mages jump them all and take out most of the assassin's

It's later revealed in the conversation between Baruk and Rake that Rake wanted to keep the empress from contacting the assassin's because he thinks she would put a hit on the high mages of the city.

Kalam and QB barely get away by summoning that demon who gets his ass kicked by Rake.

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Yeah, chapter 13. Kick ass stuff all throughout that one.

Not to mention Crokus getting caught breaking back into the D'Arle mansion

message 9: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new)

OK. Yeah, that's probably my favorite scene in the book, and probably one of my favorite of the whole series..

message 10: by Sky (last edited Feb 28, 2015 07:39PM) (new)

Sky | 1291 comments Excellent section!

- So Tattersail survives, similar to Hairlock. K'rul and the Imass in Kruppe's dream help re-birth her as a child, who apparently grows rather fast and is under the protection of a Rhivi warlord.

- Kruppe's dreams are immune to the younger gods

- So the seer is still bound to Sorry. How much influence she can exert still remains to be seen

- More details of what Rallick and Murillio are up to and why they needed tickets to Lady Simtal's ball. They plan to kill her and the men that conspired with her to betray Coll. I was write about Coll being her estranged husband.

- I was totally wrong about the bridgeburner's mission. They are not taking out the assassin's, they are (comically) posing as street workers and planting mines all over the city

- Kalem and Quick Ben try to make contact with the guild. It turns out Ammomander anticipated this and has been preemptively taking out the guild to prevent this, and to flush out the guild leader, whom the bridgeburners would hire to take out the cities mages.

- So Baruk is not the Eel. Could it be Mammon, Crokus's uncle?

- Shocking, power still draws power!

- We see the first reference to the Crippled God - I have no idea who this is, and actively try to avoid spoilers, but someone in my twitter feed tweeted first reference to the crippled god - so I guess he'll be important later.

- "Brevity, Kruppe prays for brevity!" :)

- Something about 5 black dragons and Moon's Spawn / house of shadow. Also 1 red dragon.

- Quick Ben was once an acolyte within House of Shadow - not just an acolyte, but a high priest Delat known to Shadowthrone. QB is a shapeshifter?

- QB proposes to deliver hairlock to shadowthrone. In return he wants his death sentence for leaving the priesthood removed.

- The bridgeburners may start taking out council members to flush out the real rulers (presumably Baruck and his mages)

- As mentioned above, hints that Baruk may be ascendant "Now it was Rake's turn to smile. 'There are few who would argue with me without flinching. I am unused to being addressed as an equal.'" To which Baruk replies "There are many paths to Ascendancy, some more subtle than others."

- Amomanders sword is frightening and bad-ass. Apparently it sends people to some kind of hell of carts, chains, whips, and lost souls - his Warren? No wonder Baruk sent the heads of the mages of Pale rather than let Amomander use his sword.

- Yeah, Kruppe can do deck of dragons in his head - that is equally bad-ass.

- Looks like everyone is converging on the barrow that holds the Jaghut dictator.

message 11: by Sky (new)

Sky | 1291 comments ahhh...I was wondering about the second stab wound!

message 12: by Sky (last edited Mar 01, 2015 10:04AM) (new)

Sky | 1291 comments I was pretty sure the seer was still bonded to her - immediately after she was described as having ancient eyes, she goes nuts at the mention of the word seer, there were other hints dropped along the way. I just never attributed the second stab would to the seer (why would she want Paran dead, except that Paran means to kill Sorry?)

message 13: by Kat (new)

Kat | 1175 comments Alex wrote: "Rake sounds like a reasonable dude. Sure he's the "enemy" so far"

Wait, what? He is? Not to me he isn't.

I STILL haven't made up my mind whose side I'm on, and I instantly liked him when he first visited Baruk. I liked Tattersail, but she's busy being a baby (literally) throughout this section of the book.

Crokus needs a good slap.

Kruppe is getting a bit annoying, talking to himself about himself in the 3rd person. Also his dreams are weird. I get that his dreams are a good vehicle to convey information about the Elder God and Tattersail's current fate and so on, but still - weird. Not sure I like weird.

So from all of the above, I'm currently rooting for Rake. He's cool.

(Sorry for chiming in late, but I took a break halfway through)

message 14: by Scott (new)

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Don't be sorry! Good to get everyone's thoughts

Kruppe does not appreciate the lady's comments regarding Kruppe ;)