The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1)
This topic is about Gardens of the Moon
Malazan > GotM: Book Two - Darujhistan

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Haven't finished this section yet but just have to say I'm liking the culture and setting more in this part of the world.

Oh and Kruppe is becoming my favorite character. His tendency to speak in third person, while usually grating in real life, is kind of endearing him to me. Particularly like the scene in the inn where he, Crokus and Murillio are playing cards and Murillio keeps trying to get him to play his hand: "Is it Kruppe's turn?"

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Getting excited to see how and when/if these story lines converge. The end scene between Kruppe/Baruk was pretty enlightening at least regarding the spy network and the involvement of Oponn. Very interested to see what Murillio and Rallick are cooking up.

I'm liking that there doesn't seem to be any good/bad guys as of yet. Lots of people out for their own good and we have the empress on one side and Rake on the other with Baruk and the city on the middle so far. Power struggles coming

Geoff (geoffgreer) My first comment on this part is that Darujhistan has a different date (year) system then used in first part. It was a little frustrating. I'll have more comments once I refresh myself on what happened.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Threw me off at the beginning too. Thought we were going back in time

Antonis (antonakis) | 12 comments I originally thought that different date systems was strange or sloppy decision but I should have trusted Erikson. Eventually I reached the conclusion that the dates shown are only relative to the important factions in play during that specific book.

Geoff (geoffgreer) Agreed

The thing the confused me the most about the date change was that the Pale and Darujhistan are geographically close together. It would be a pain in the ass if neighbouring regions had different date systems.

message 7: by Sky (last edited Feb 25, 2015 10:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Finally finished book II.

Like others, not as many comments or theories here.

I really liked the characters in the section. Kruppe is a favorite of mine as well.

A few questions/comments:

1) So it seems like the mission that the Bridgeburners were sent on in Darujhistan was to start/fake a war among the Assassin's Guild (or at least its a red herring that it is the Bridgeburners). This was done prior to invasion of other cities by the Malazan empire, but was usually done by The Claw. We don't know why the Bridgeburners were sent in instead.

2) The spinning coin of Oponn that has been heard/seen throughout the book so far lands on Crokus. Crokus has broken into D'Arle estate and stolen a bunch of goods. While escaping he is saved when he sees the coin fall and the assassin's (Bridgeburner's?) arrow misses him. So it seems the house of shadow has claimed Sorry, and one of the Oponn twin's will claim Crokus? For some reason, it matters if the Lady or the Lord claims Crokus, if it is the Lord, Baruck says they will need the assassin Rallick. Crokus is starting to fall in love with the D'Arle girl. His crew mates have a cute plan to reform him into an upstanding citizen with the help of his uncle.

3) So Baruk is the shadowy figure known as the Eel?

4) In the council, there are two rival factions, Turban Orr, who favors surrendering to the Malazan empire, and D'Arle, who does not. Orr had enough votes in the council to pass a measure that would surrender. Rallick, the assassin, has some personal vendetta against Lady Simtal, is about to kill her, but some God (which? Oponn?) intervenes, he has a quick change of plans, and kills the councilman who was with her instead. Orr no longer has an advantage in the vote.

5) Towards the end of this part, The Phoenix Inn crew (made up mostly/entirely of Barruck's spies) are on some sort of mission to infiltrate Lady Simtals's ball. We don't know why yet

6) It's pretty clear (?) that Darujhistan's fate rests in the hands of Oponn. This was first foreshadowed by the Crone's vision of 12 ships (representing the 12 free cities), 11 burning in harbor, the last ship still spinning. At the end of the last chapter Baruck sums up nicely why he doesn't like Oppon's meddling as it prevents all his careful planning and contigencies.

7) When Anomander visits Baruck to enlist the help of the cities mages, he tells Baruk that Tayschenn attacked not only Anomander but also unleashed demons against his allies. Amomander uses a vital portion of his power to deflect the attack Tayschrenn's attack of his fellow wizards, rather than let the conjurings wander freely. This confirms the Bridgeburner's, Tattersail's, and Hairlock's suspicions that Tayschrenn is out to get them. Back in book I we hear that the attacks directed at them came "from the plains", not from the Moon.

8) Kruppe has a vision with the elder god K'rul. This is the first I have heard of him. I don't know who he is, if he belongs to a certain house, or what. We are told someone has summoned K'rul against his will to do battle, and K'rul thinks he will lose this first battle. Again we are reminded that the God's flock to where blood is spilled. There is an ancient temple to K'rul in Darujhistan, for whatever that is worth (its on the map!) K'rul says "I believe I am here to await one who will be awakened. One I have known before, long ago". We (I) don't yet know who this is.

9) Lady Simtal's husband is a drunk, and has been thrown out. I think he is one of the drunks in the Phoenix Inn crew, I think Coll?

message 8: by Antonis (last edited Feb 25, 2015 09:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Antonis (antonakis) | 12 comments Interesting comments and questions, all of them! However, I will be a bad-play and avoid commenting or answering any because I think all of those will be answered in the following chapters. Some of your guesses are spot-on, some are slightly off but I don't want to say which are which! :D What I can say for sure, judging by your comments, is that you have a better understanding of the whole "game" than I did when I finished book II! :D

message 9: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments :D

I am suspicious that some things that should be "obvious" are left purposefully vague. eg, whoever is attacking the assassin's guild. By all accounts it should be the Bridgeburners, since they were sent to Darujhistan in the last section. So either it is a very large red herring, or it is as others have commented in the general thread that it can be frustrating that Erikson leaves out details that he has no reason to hide.

The effect is that it makes me second guess every theory I come up with, no matter how 'obvious' :)

message 10: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
It's been awhile, but I think's it's another example of Erikson leaving out stuff he has no reason to hide...

message 11: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Thanks for the comments Alex, that nicely explains elder gods vs the houses!

I am just starting book III and (spoiler for book II):(view spoiler)

message 12: by Dara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) Alex wrote: "I might be reaching here, but...(view spoiler)."

It could be but it seems like a bit of stretch though I wouldn't put it past Erikson. The man is a master.

message 13: by Kat (last edited Mar 04, 2015 11:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat | 1177 comments I liked this part of the book MUCH better than all the stuff going on around Pale!

Anomander Rake is cool. I like him.

Whoever is stirring up the assassins can Slowfall. Neat!

Kruppe's second dream had a detail that confused my inner navigator: "Kruppe's dream took him out through Marsh Gate, along South Road, then left onto Cutter Lake Road." Cutter Lake Road is marked on the map, but if he's coming straight from the city he'd go straight ahead, not turn left. Unless he was coming from the east, which isn't South Road. These technicalities take me out of the story sometimes, I can't seem to shut up the little map-maker imp inside my head...

I'm not sure it's the bridgeburners who are hunting the assassins at all. They did not give me the impression of black-robed crossbow-wielding wizard-ninjas back in Part I. I have them pictured with combat gear and "proper" weapons, tunneling in through the sewers. Sort of like Sharpe's Rifles, with a wizard in tow.