The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1)
This topic is about Gardens of the Moon
Malazan > GotM: General Discussion (no spoilers!)

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
If you guys were doing this in 6-12 months from now, I'd probably be in..but as it is..I'm still burned out from my original read.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

As to breakdowns, I have detailed chapter breakdowns for books 3 (or 4)-10 (sorry didn't do them for 1-2 (or 3)). I can provide links if you're interested. Probably overkill though.

Most books are 24 chapters in length, though the length of each chapter tends to increase with each book. There are also a few outliers.

He also splits his books in multiple parts that you could possibly use. That would be my recommendation if you don't do it by chapter.

Richard Eyres (richardeyres) I have never read them myself. Will try to keep up with you guys. I still have a lot on my to read list for the beginning of the year.

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

We did books 1-5 at a 6 week clip, and 6-10 at 8 weeks due to the increasing length. You may want to do 30 days for 1-5, and 45 for 6-10.

Then again you all read way faster than I do..so you'll have some people who blow through the whole thing in no time I'm sure.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments In!

Excited for this read. Really glad there was interest from others to read along.

Not sure what the best way to go about the breaks is, but you guys are pretty kick ass and old pros at this stuff so I trust it'll work out well.

message 6: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Awesome, thanks Alex! Excited too to be reading with others!

Geoff (geoffgreer) I am tentatively in for this read. I've only read Gardens of the Moon. I can probably push off Deadhouse Gates until you guys read it.

But reading it in succession like you guys are planning to do probably isn't going to happen for me. As Alex said, book fatigue can set in. When I read the Wheel of Time series, every 2-3 books I had to take a break.

Also, any re-readers have to follow a strict no spoiler protocol.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments I wouldn't be opposed to taking breaks in between books if that's the general consensus. From everything I've heard, it can take a toll on you

Laurel | 41 comments I'm in!

message 10: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Yeah, I am totally OK to take breaks every few books...we can time breaks around other group reads, when people feel they need to read some fluffy happy stuff, whatever.

message 11: by Dara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) I want to read these again but I think I'm still in the same boat as Rob. Too burned out. I might jump in the discussions though.

message 12: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Sounds good to me!

message 13: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark | 481 comments Going to join in on book 2

message 14: by Paul (new)

Paul Emmerson I am in on this. This is my first read of them and I can see the size of the undertaking ahead of us. However, I am giddy at the thought and looking forward to this.

message 15: by Paul (new)

Paul Emmerson So much so I obviously felt the need to say it 3 times and ponder on getting a new phone that is not covered in Pepsi and causing more issues than is necessary.

message 16: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments hahaha :)

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Lol

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 80 comments There are two other groups that I know are also doing a series read of the book, here is other group discussion of the book just this year: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/list_...

Justine (justinejustine) | 318 comments I'm going to give this a go too. I did read Gardens of the Moon a few years back on my sister's recommendation, but didn't really love it like she did (she's read the whole of Malazan I think 4 times?). I'm happy to try it again with a group though especially one that is so excited to be doing the series. :)

Antonis (antonakis) | 12 comments I'm also going to be taking part in the group reading and discussion. I've been hearing about this series for many years and I've had Gardens of the Moon on my shelf for almost 4 years. It's time I tried this one! I know that the first half of this book is tough and, in a way, constitutes a test of endurance and perseverance and dedication of the reader, so I hope this ends well!

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments We shall overcome!

message 22: by Caitlin (new) - added it

Caitlin I'm in! It's been on my TBR list for awhile now and given that I've heard it's a challenging read, I'm glad I now have a group to read it with. :P

Justine (justinejustine) | 318 comments Alex, maybe you know the answer to this, but I am reading these on ebook and I was wondering if the Malazan maps are anywhere online that can be printed out or looked at on something easier to see than on my Kobo screen. I do love my ereader but for maps, not so much. I know some publishers do put links in for maps online (yay them) but Tor has not done that so far that I have found.

Justine (justinejustine) | 318 comments Yes, please I would really appreciate that. As much as I am completely happy to do my own digging, I absolutely hate the accidental spoiler read and with the exception of Gardens of the Moon (which I read years ago) I haven't read any of these books and I want to stay as un-spoilered as I can. :)

Justine (justinejustine) | 318 comments Great! That's super helpful. :)

Antonis (antonakis) | 12 comments At the start of gardens of the moon, you can only find maps for genabackis continent and darujhistan city. I also read on my Kobo as it's easier to hold than the physical book but I check the maps and glossaries from the real book.

Juliana | 12 comments I'm in! Yay!

message 28: by Nico (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nico (darkybald) | 19 comments Hey guys I will soon start House of Chains and found this page: http://thefictionary.net/
For all the e-book readers out there I imagine this will come in handy.

message 29: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat | 1175 comments Last minute decision:

I'm in, too.

Justine (justinejustine) | 318 comments Nico wrote: "Hey guys I will soon start House of Chains and found this page: http://thefictionary.net/
For all the e-book readers out there I imagine this will come in handy."

Great idea, except I wish they made them for non-Kindle ereaders!

message 31: by Sky (last edited Feb 20, 2015 10:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments How is the audio version of GotM? Are there lots of maps/appendices in the hard copy? I am debating if I want to do this in hard copy/kindle/audio, or a combination of the two (or all three). My amazon next day shipping trigger finger is itching. (I just made a same day delivery for a birthday gift for a friend in LA...can't wait till they bring same day to the Bay Area)

message 32: by Sky (last edited Feb 20, 2015 10:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments hrm, so I did a 'look inside' on amazon and see not only are there maps, dramatas personae, but also a glossary. All of which I could print I guess, if I got the Kindle version, and the Kindle version also has x-ray, is searchable, and has the user contributed dictionary for each book in the series. I think I will go with Kindle + whispersync. If I like the series enough I may buy the Library Binding edition later.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Yeah I'm on the kindle version myself. The X-ray is definitely handy, have already used it a couple of times

message 34: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Personally I think this series is far too complicated to do in audio on a first read. Also, the whole thing isn't out yet, just 1-7. And they appear to swap narrators after 3 books.

message 35: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments OK, I was worried about it being too complicated in Audio. At least this will force me to go back to listening to non-fiction during my commute, and time for podcasts at the gym.

message 36: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Huh...The maps are actually legible on the Kindle Voyage

Justine (justinejustine) | 318 comments Well, for that price, they should be :)

message 38: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat | 1175 comments Waiting for the postman with my copy.

I'm actually watching the street for his car from the window...

message 39: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Justine wrote: "Well, for that price, they should be :)"

Yeah, it was rather pricey. The increased DPI is not _that_ noticeable for text, but really stands out for maps, though I've had a few other books with maps that didn't look that great on the voyage, but looked fine on the DX.

Justine (justinejustine) | 318 comments Sky wrote: Yeah, it was rather pricey. The increased DPI is not _that_ noticeable for text, but really stands out for maps, though I've had a few oth..."

Weird. I wonder if that has to do with the book formatting. Anyway, I'm in the same position as Kat right now, waiting for the postal worker...except it is for delivery of my new Kobo Aura H2O. My Kobo Glo had an "accident" a few days ago. I'll have to see what the maps look like on the HD version compared to the Glo. The DPI is almost the same as the Voyage.

message 41: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Justine wrote: "Weird. I wonder if that has to do with the book formatting"

Yeah, I was thinking that probably there are better and worse ways to get maps to render on the kindle, depending on the format and how you convert them, and that the standard method must suck, but there are better ways like I see in GotM.

message 42: by Kat (last edited Mar 04, 2015 11:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat | 1175 comments I have some beef with my copy of the book.

When I ordered it in Germany, I had the following choices:

- Affordable Mass Paperback
- Expensive Library Binding
or
- Get the whole thing as a German translation

I don't read translations if I can avoid it, so I went with the paperback. (Whiskeyjack is renamed to Magpie, for starters...)

The issue I have with this is that the book block has been cut so close to the text that I have to force the book wide open in order to be able to read the words at the inside of the pages.

Doing that, I noticed that the ink smears if you rub your finger over the text.

Boo!

Antonis (antonakis) | 12 comments Kat, you're not the only one with the problem of the pages printed to close to the spine. In another reading discussion I'm following, more people have commented on this matter, myself included. I personally switched to a e-book after about 50-60 pages so I can't comment if it becomes easier in the middle of the book.
I've had no problems with the ink though.

Richard Eyres (richardeyres) Kat, Antonis

I also had the same problem. That's why I moved to Audio and eBook. The following books are also just as bad. I think it was done to reduce the cost of a paperback, but at £10 a book, you would expect it to be readable.

message 45: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Whose the publisher? I don't recall having those issues with my Tor MMPBs. But they may only be for North America and no where else.

message 46: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat | 1175 comments Tom Doherty Associates, LLC

printed in the USA

My friend is a bookbinder, and she said it's possible to get a bad batch among otherwise perfectly normal books, if the machines were out of sync or someone put the printed book blocks into the cutter the wrong way around before realising their mistake.

Ah well. It's readable :-)