Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Dawn's Jan 2015 Books

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1273 comments I always seem to read the most books in January

The Job by Janet Evanovich - a Fox and O'Hare series. She's an FBI agent; he's a con wanted by the FBI. 9/10

Alone by Lisa Gardner - the first in the DD Warren series, although she's not in it too much. Bobby Dodge, a sniper responds to a hostage situation and gets pulled into more than he anticipated. I've read others not realizing it was a series, so going back to read the rest in order 8/10

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins - Rachel is spiraling out of control, riding the train each day, watching the couples (including her ex husband) in the houses that she passes. When she sees something, or does she, it quickly turns very suspenseful 9/10

Revival by Stephen King - The relationship of Jamie and the Reverend Charlie Daniel Jacob spans over the years 9/10

Black Fridays by Michael Sears - Jason Stafford, a convicted wall streeter is hired to look into some financial irregularites, but it turns out to be more than that. A compelling side story with his autistic son 10/10

Mortal Bonds by Michael Sears - Stafford is hired to find hidden money after a Ponzi scheme owner kills himself 10/10

message 2: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments May have to add The Job to my never ending list!

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Good month! I read the first Fox & O'Hare book and never felt compelled to read another. The only character I liked was her dad.

message 4: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments Good month, Dawn.

message 5: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1201 comments Good to see that you liked Mortal Bonds just as well as Black Fridays. I will have to check it out soon.

I am patiently waiting for some version of The Girl on the Train to become available from the library. So far everyone seems to have rated it highly.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Good month, Dawn! I tend to read more in January too, though last year listening to The Goldfinch slowed my January down quite a bit.
I recommend the audio of The Girl on the Train, Sandi! Though I had to supplement the audio with the Kindle copy that was on sale for one day for $6.11 as I couldn't wait to finish it.
Sandi wrote: "I am patiently waiting for some version of The Girl on the Train to become available from the library. So far everyone seems to have rated it highly. "

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1273 comments Thanks everyone! Liz, I hope you find The Job light and entertaining. A nice breather especially after a heavy read. Sandi, I think the third Sears book is coming out in February. And like Ann, I purchased The Girl on the Train on my Kindle, although every time I look, the price is different.

message 8: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3548 comments I have the first in that evanovich series on the current list. it hadn't grabbed me at the time or maybe it was just startng to and I had so many other books going so it was put to the side. but think I'll get back to it.

message 9: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7914 comments Catching up on the Monthly Reads lists. Dawn, the Michael Sears series looks good.