2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

The Sun Also Rises
This topic is about The Sun Also Rises
. Week 6: Author Under 30 > The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Pereira (adrianacecilia) I'm reaaally falling behind in the challenge, I can't believe we're almost at week 6!

This novel was written when Hemingway was 27. So far I've only read The Old Man and the Sea which I found nice but I can't say that I love it.

What are your thoughts on Hemingway's work?

(I took this one from my mom's bookshelf so it's translated to Portuguese).

message 2: by Ana A (new) - added it

Ana A (anabana_a) | 414 comments I found The Old Man and the Sea only okay when I first read it, but when my professor discussed it with us in class, he pointed out specific details which I didn't really bother with but were actually pretty important and interesting, so I ended up really liking the book after that.

message 3: by Tina (last edited Feb 01, 2015 07:02AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina (tjlich) I read this about 10 years ago. I was 35 at the time and had really just starting to love reading. My Mother loves Hemingway and gave The Sun Also Rises to me, saying I would adore Hemingway, that I'd fall in love with the amazing detail he reveals and the feelings he provokes in so few words. I have to say that hearing that before I read his work was helpful to me. Like Ana, I'd have thought, "Meh, what's the big deal?" if I wasn't looking deeper while I was reading this. I think if I read it again now, at 45, I may even love it.

I hope this helps as you read it. Also, you may think about reading a little history on the writing style of Hemingway before you read his work. It helped me greatly afterwards to understand him and the simplicity of his writing. It made me appreciate this style so much more.

message 4: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Pereira (adrianacecilia) That happened to me too Ana! I found the book more interesting after I started reading reviews and articles about certain aspects of the story.

Narma how much have you read so far? Oh I'm the one who's behind, I haven't finished the books from week 2 and 3! I'm freaking out a bit. But I cheated and read the book from week 7 (Animal Farm) to buy me some time.

message 5: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Pereira (adrianacecilia) TJ, it was my mom who convinced me to start reading Hemingway too! She really loves his books. I think that made me have pretty high expectations about it.

I'm going to pay more attention to the details this time and I'll follow your advice about finding out more about his writing style. Thanks!

Tina (tjlich) Adriana wrote: "TJ, it was my mom who convinced me to start reading Hemingway too! She really loves his books. I think that made me have pretty high expectations about it.

I'm going to pay more attention to the d..."

Anytime, Adriana!

message 7: by Narma (last edited Feb 10, 2015 10:12AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Narma | 49 comments So I just finished this piece. I found the beginning and middle of the novel quite boring with all the constant drinking. But as I kept reading, I realized Hemingway was trying to expose a sector of society that is kind of a lost generation. I thought the ending was actually quite good and pitiful, with the female character being a complete, narcissistic witch, and all her men being pawned and coming to her rescue constantly.

Anyone finish the book?

I give this three stars.