Horror Aficionados discussion

The Martian
This topic is about The Martian
The Audio Zone > February 2015 Group Listen: The Martian by Andy Weir

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments This is our first group listen and I would just like to take a moment and thank everyone for their suggestions and for being a member of HA. You keep this group going and growing and are the reason us Mods don't mind doing the upkeep.

You know the deal. Spoilers need to be tagged. Tell us the the time you are at. And keep it friendly (No throwing martian dust).

Do we want to discuss each hour or at our own leisure with a time stamp?

Ready? Set. Listen!

message 2: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Matthews (xmarkm) | 256 comments After reading his short story, The Egg, I put this on my TBR list.

message 3: by Tad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tad (tottman) | 18 comments I read this book last year and loved it. I'm listening to it now on audio and it's just as great. I'm not sure if it's because of hearing the story the second time or if it's just that the audio version seems to add excitement in different parts of the story than reading it. I'll be curious what others think.

message 4: by Bill (last edited Jan 31, 2015 02:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments I know I posted this already on another thread, but The Martian is on sale for $2.99 on Audible and it is regularly $29.99. *FOR KINDLE UNLIMITED SUBSCRIBERS*

http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fant...

Same price as Weir's "The Egg", which is 8 minutes long!

Ctgt | 761 comments Thanks Bill! I wasn't going to bother since I read the book last year but it's hard to beat that price.

message 6: by Ctgt (last edited Jan 31, 2015 01:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt | 761 comments Oops. Looks like that's $20.99 not $2.99. Oh well. Maybe I'll try to snag it from the library.

message 7: by Bill (last edited Jan 31, 2015 02:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments Hmmmm. When I look it up, it says Special Price $2.99. I got my copy with Kindle Unlimited, so I wonder if that is the issue.

Crap. I looked it up on my wifes computer and the $2.99 price is only for KU subscribers. Sorry about that. :(

message 8: by Ctgt (last edited Jan 31, 2015 02:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt | 761 comments No worries Bill. It looks like you can pick up the kindle book for $7.99 and then add the audio for $2.99 so that's not a bad deal.

message 9: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Parent | 741 comments Damn. I'd join in on this one with all the great things I have heard about this book, but not for $30. I spent that on Revival... and, well... didn't enjoy it enough to justify $30 when I could get the kindle so much cheaper. But I may yet try Ctgt's plan if it works for me... I could swing $11

message 10: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments Agreed. I freak out when an ebook is over $4.99 and there is no way I would pay $30 for an audiobook.

You can sign up for the free trial of KU and get it that way if you haven't signed up previously. I wasn't too sure about continuing it after the trial period, but it has more than paid for itself with this title alone.

message 11: by Scott (new)

Scott Sigler (scottsigler) | 35 comments I listened to this audiobook and loved it. The narrator did a great job.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments Scott wrote: "I listened to this audiobook and loved it. The narrator did a great job."

A really great job, Scott!

message 13: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Parent | 741 comments Bill wrote: "Agreed. I freak out when an ebook is over $4.99 and there is no way I would pay $30 for an audiobook.

You can sign up for the free trial of KU and get it that way if you haven't signed up previou..."

All right! You guys have sold me! I'll figure out how best to get it. Could use some sci-fi and humor in my present mix.

Latasha (latasha513) | 10842 comments Mod
i'll be a little late. I just got prince lestat from the library & I really need to finish it this time.

message 15: by Christy (new)

Christy (christy123) | 11 comments I'll give this one a listen

Nyree | 77 comments I will have to get in on the next one, I have already listened to this on audio and it is great! Listen carefully though there are some really sarcastic one liners you'll wanna remember and repeat your friends!

message 17: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments I am about 2 hours into this one and it is fantastic so far.

message 18: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments I'm just under a quarter (about 2.5 hours or thereabouts) in and I'm loving it. I like its no-nonsense style. No frills, just telling it how it is. Some people have balked at the science in this book, but unless you're a chimpanzee, you shouldn't have a problem with it. To be honest, you need the science. It most certainly adds to the tension - and the dry humour, I might add.

message 19: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments Nyree's right, some of the one-liners are priceless.

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments John wrote: "Nyree's right, some of the one-liners are priceless."

I loved that about this read!

message 21: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments Two-thirds of the way in now. The further in you get, the more you wonder whether or not...

message 22: by David (last edited Feb 05, 2015 12:39PM) (new)

David Haynes | 3158 comments Superb descibes it perfectly! I've got about an hour left to go.

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments If I read this instead of listening I would have littered it with highlights.

I'm going start this tomorrow or Monday.

message 25: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments I'm about three-quarters of the way through it now. Been busy with other things, otherwise I probably would have finished it. I'm loving it.

message 26: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments Duct Tape!

message 27: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments Finished this one tonight. Excellent! I thought I would get lost in the science, but it really added depth to the story and while there was a lot of it, it did not bog the story down. Very well done.

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Bill wrote: "Finished this one tonight. Excellent! I thought I would get lost in the science, but it really added depth to the story and while there was a lot of it, it did not bog the story down. Very well done."

Yeah, I admit I'm a science nerd, so I'm not the best to judge, but it did seem like the science was presented on a level that most folks would be able to grasp, and it wasn't overwhelming. There was just enough for people who like that sort of thing (and it seemed quite sound) without reading like a technical manual. I just can't say enough good things about the audiobook - I can't remember the last audiobook I enjoyed more than this one.

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments Started it this week. About a quarter of the way in and really liking it.

Kasia (kasia_s) | 3132 comments Mod
This might sounds odd but how do you guys like to listen to your audio books, while doing something or just sitting back, eyes maybe closed, solitary concert style? I've wanted to read this first but now I'm tempted by this concept.

message 31: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4892 comments I drive a lot for work so I will listen in my car or while working around in the yard. I have never had much success listening while just sitting around though. For some reason that puts me straight to sleep.

message 32: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments I finished it just a moment ago. So good. I agree with Bill and Robert in that the science in the book only adds to the tension and doesn't trip you up with it's clinical, and yet down to earth detail. Perfect narration as well. A winner.

message 33: by Tad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tad (tottman) | 18 comments I'm about 4 hours from the end on my re-listen. The humor in it is outstanding and I really like the way he uses it to break the tension. I think that will translate really well in the movie.

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Kasia wrote: "This might sounds odd but how do you guys like to listen to your audio books, while doing something or just sitting back, eyes maybe closed, solitary concert style? I've wanted to read this first b..."

Driving is the big one but I set a 15 minute sleep timer at night too. If I'm still awake, I just reset it. That's how I gauge my insomnia. If I listened to six hours straight then it wasn't a good night, but at least I got to listen to a book.

I listen while doing things, too.

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Latasha wrote: "I listen while doing things, too."

I do sometimes too but it has to be a nearly mindless activity like cooking or cleaning.

message 37: by Ctgt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt | 761 comments Kasia wrote: "This might sounds odd but how do you guys like to listen to your audio books, while doing something or just sitting back, eyes maybe closed, solitary concert style? I've wanted to read this first b..."

I struggle with audiobooks even when doing seemingly mindless chores. Driving? No chance, following along when suddenly.......look at that asshole weaving in and out......before I know it I've missed a section and have to backtrack. While doing household chores works at times but those times tend to be just sporadic enough that it would take forever to get through the book. This is my first attempt to listen to something I already read in print so we'll see how it goes.

message 38: by Ctgt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt | 761 comments I haven't tried listening while in bed, Eleven. I may give that a try.

Char  | 13908 comments Mod
How are you guys doing in here? Are you happy with this new feature here at HA? Any suggestions?

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Kasia wrote: "This might sounds odd but how do you guys like to listen to your audio books, while doing something or just sitting back, eyes maybe closed, solitary concert style? I've wanted to read this first b..."

Sadly, if I did that, I'd fall asleep in a few minutes. :-) I listen during my commute (including frequent trips for work that are 4 hours each direction), and while I'm on a cardio machine at the gym. I used to listen while doing yard work, but the kids have taken over that work. Sometimes this leads to me missing things, so I usually pick books that don't require quite as much concentration. I'd actually like to read this one sometime to see how much if any I missed, but since I listened while driving on the highway with virtually no traffic, I don't think I missed much.

message 41: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments Yeah, if I just sit back and relax while listening to an audiobook, I will invariably fall asleep - especially if it's a long book. However, if I'm doing mindless chores (as Ctgt put it) and I'm on autopilot, the listening makes the drudgery actually bearable. Only last week I was visiting my son and his family. Their washing alone, when it has piled up, is like the laundry room of a decently sized hotel. So (me being dad) I volunteered to fold it when they were out. Listening to The Martian made it actually quite pleasant and I got through three hours of listening time in - seemingly - no time at all. All things considered, if I was doing something where I have to concentrate, I like silence. How Stephen King writes his doorstops while listening to rock music I'll never know.

message 42: by Hoff (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hoff The Librarian (hoffthelibrarian) | 20 comments I suck at spoilers beyond the telling of it, so I'll just say, I didn't expect to appreciate this kind of story so much. Typically, the procedural kinds of stories that delve into the details aren't my bag, but I'm about halfway through and this is very satisfying. I never would have thought it possible to keep a story going with almost no character interaction in the first third of the book, but Weir is pulling it off.

As to the "how do I listen" question. I listen while doing the dishes and cleaning up at night, in addition to my half hour commute back and forth to work. With this though, I've been trying to work in all the extra time I can find!

I got to listen to a big chunk of this while working. My first impressions: omg, that's a lot of math & science talk, mark & the narrator are great!!! I got to the end of part 1 & was eager to listen to more when bam!! Somehow I have part 1 downloaded twice and no part 2? Oh iPod, no!!! :(

message 44: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments Bummer!

Yeah but I should be able to finish it tomorrow.

message 46: by K4tie (new) - added it

K4tie (nonzombieleader) | 484 comments The writing is solid, but so much more entertaining with this reader! Hooray for a really wonderful reader. :)

Wayne's (waynesworld) | 115 comments I listen while walking and driving. I am enjoying this one about half way through still wondering why it's horror, guess I will find out.

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Wayne wrote: "I listen while walking and driving. I am enjoying this one about half way through still wondering why it's horror, guess I will find out."

It's technically sci-fi but being alone on Mars is horror.

Char  | 13908 comments Mod
11811 (Eleven) wrote: "Wayne wrote: "I listen while walking and driving. I am enjoying this one about half way through still wondering why it's horror, guess I will find out."

It's technically sci-fi but being alone on ..."

LOL That's what I was going to reply, Eleven. I can't imagine being THAT alone.

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments Charlene wrote: "LOL That's what I was going to reply, Eleven. I can't imagine being THAT alone. ..."

It's whatever the opposite of claustrophobia is but equally scary.

« previous 1