#AYEARATHON discussion

February 2015 - Diversity > February 2015 - To Be Read (TBR)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ke-sha (new)

ke-sha (angel707) | 2018 comments Mod
Hello. Have you guys decided on which books to read for February?

Im going to read one of the Winners The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and after that Im not sure.

Are you guys going to read one of the books we voted on?

message 2: by The Book Moo (new)

The Book Moo    (thebookmoo) I'll be reading Fairest by Marissa Meyer when it arrives, there is a diverse range of characters from a different culture than me! And then Noughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman as I've heard great things about this! :)

message 3: by Alex (new)

message 4: by Ana Luisa (last edited Jan 31, 2015 11:23AM) (new)

Ana Luisa (analureads) My TBR list is:

1. 20 Mil Léguas Submarinas (Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea) by Jules Verne - 504 pages (I'm currently on page 62). This book is a classic and was written by a French author.
2. As Memórias de Sherlock Holmes (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - 405 pages (I'm currently on page 46). This book is also a classic and was written by a Scottish author.
3. Doze Anos de Escravidão (Twelve Years a Slave) by Solomon Northup - 280 pages. This book was written a person of colour and is non-fiction, which I want to read more.
4. O Jantar (The Dinner) by Herman Koch - 256 pages. This book was written by a Dutch author.
5. A Thousand Mornings by Mary Oliver - 96 pages. This book was written by an American author and it's poetry, which I hardly ever read.

Total number of pages: 1,433

It's a long list for me but I'm always trying to branch out in my reading (especially with books written by authors with diverse nationalities, as you can see by my list), so I hope to at least start reading all of these.

message 5: by Jennie (new)

Jennie Seaman I plan on trying to read Life of Pi by Yann Martel , The Not-So-Star-Spangled Life of Sunita Sen by Mitali Perkins , How the García Girls Lost Their Accents  by Julia Alvarez as well as a few different plays from Seventh Generation An Anthology of Native American Plays by Mimi D'Aponte

Amber (bookstacksamber) (bookstacksamber) I'm planning on these three:
Ink (Paper Gods, #1) by Amanda Sun Black & White (Noughts & Crosses, #1) by Malorie Blackman The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

message 7: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Lenarczyk (kristinalovee) | 373 comments Mod
So excited to see everyone participating in this topic! Unfortunately I won't be because school is gonna be hectic this week, and obvious that is my priority! Can't wait to see what you all will be reading!

message 8: by Kristina (new)

Lula wrote: "I kind of picked among my tbr pile, given there are some who have been collecting dust for so long and fit the theme! For this month I picked up: The Diary of Anne Frank, Eat, Pray, Love and a book..."

I have been wanting to read Eat, Pray, Love for a long time! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it! Good luck this week :)

message 9: by Kristina (new)

The Book wrote: "I'll be reading Fairest by Marissa Meyer when it arrives, there is a diverse range of characters from a different culture than me! And then Noughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman as I've heard great..."

Noughts and Crosses is supposed to be amazing! I am dying to get my hands on it, so I hope you enjoy it!

message 10: by Kristina (new)

Alex wrote: "City of Stairs by Robert Jackson BennettThe Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2) by Charlie N. Holmberg1984 by George Orwell"

George Orwell!!! Please tell me what you think of that when you finish it!

message 11: by Kristina (new)

Ana Luisa wrote: "My TBR list is:

1. 20 Mil Léguas Submarinas (Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea) by Jules Verne - 504 pages (I'm currently on page 62). This book is a classic and was written by..."

Wow that is an ambitious goal! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress throughout the week!

message 12: by Kristina (new)

Jennie wrote: "I plan on trying to read Life of Pi by Yann Martel, The Not-So-Star-Spangled Life of Sunita Sen by Mitali Perkins, How the García Girls Lost Their Accents  by Julia Alvarez as well as a few diff..."

The only one of those I've heard of is Life of Pi, but I hope you enjoy all of them! Good luck this week!

message 13: by Kristina (new)

Amber wrote: "I'm planning on these three:
Ink (Paper Gods, #1) by Amanda SunBlack & White (Noughts & Crosses, #1) by Malorie BlackmanThe Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini"

I have been wanting to read all three of those books! Let us know what you think of them! Have a great week and good luck!

message 14: by Yasmin (new)

Yasmin I'm planning on reading To All the Boys I've Loved Before and keep listening to the audiobook of Does My Head Look Big In This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah

message 15: by Kristina Marie (new)

Kristina Marie I plan on reading Julie of the a Wolves and Sounder and listening to Roll of Thunder, Here Me Cry.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Chung (bingereader19) | 123 comments I wasn't planning to participate in this month's theme because I didn't get the diversity part. I thought it had to be a literary fiction contemporary about refugees or dark themes about different cultures. I was happy to find out that is not the case and the fact that I own loads of "diverse" books already on my shelves lol. So I choose 4 for this week and I hope I can get to all of them.

African American authors (2) with African American culture or interracial romance :) The Good House by Tananarive Due Dark Genesis (The Darkling Trilogy, #1) by A.D. Koboah

An Andalusian Man/Spainard gravedigger The Gravedigger by Peter Grandbois

A GLBT Odyssey re-telling: Love in the Time of Global Warming (Love in the Time of Global Warming, #1) by Francesca Lia Block

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Here's what I'm planning on reading I think:
DRRR!! Durarara!! 1 by Ryohgo Narita DRRR!! Durarara!! 2 (Durarara!! Manga, #2) by Ryohgo Narita DRRR!! Durarara!! 3 (Durarara!! Manga, #3) by Ryohgo Narita DRRR!! Durarara!! 4 (Durarara!! Manga, #4) by Ryohgo Narita Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale

message 18: by Madi (new)

Madi 🌻 (bookish-reviewsxx) | 8 comments I'm reading Deep Blue by Jennifer Donnelly, Cinder by Marisa Meyer, and The Bane Cronicles by Cassandra Clare.

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda It's going to be a very busy week so I'll just set my goal to reading this book. Defying Convention by Cecil Wilde

message 20: by Hazuki (new)

Hazuki (hazuki_lc) | 59 comments I'm planning on reading Stargirl and Love Stargirl by Jenny Spinelli, The Curious Incident of the Dog at Night Time and I'm going to try and find and read Wonder by R. C. Palacio (my school library has it) :)

message 21: by Souhaila (new)

Souhaila (souhailamaider) I'll be reading Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

message 22: by Sophie (new)

Sophie M (idontwannago_) | 4 comments I'm planning on reading the novels by Ahmadou Kourouma, who is an African writer.

message 23: by Charlie (new)

Charlie May I'm planing on reading The Book Thief. I doubt I'll finish it in the week, so I don't know what I would read after it if I do :)

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 31, 2015 03:56PM) (new)

I'm going to be reading Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez In Cold Blood by Truman Capote Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward Albee

message 25: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) | 1 comments I'm hoping to get to In the Light of What We Know by Zia Haider Rahman. I have a pretty big TBR and if I finish everything I may try to pick up some more diverse books from my shelves =)

message 27: by Xaviera (last edited Jan 31, 2015 06:17PM) (new)

Xaviera Olavarría (lovexav) | 5 comments To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1) by Jenny Han The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol The Road by Cormac McCarthy

I'm reading all three winners

I'll finish the road which i'm already half way through, and then i'll try to read charlie and the chocolate factory and it's sequel but in spanish cuz i found the copies my mom got for me when i was on primary school and i got nostalgic hahaahha

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1) by Roald Dahl Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator (Charlie Bucket, #2) by Roald Dahl

Maybe i'll add something else if i have time... since i'm on vacations i probably will... :) !

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I was planning on reading To All the Boys I've Loved Before when I first found out that February was diversity, and then I bought Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe and it's kind of perfect for this theme so I'll be reading those two books :)

message 29: by Brianna (last edited Jan 31, 2015 08:12PM) (new)

Brianna Flores (disneywitch22) My TBR for this month's read a thon is:

1. Cinder by Marissa Meyer
2. To All The Boys I Loved Before by Jenny Han
3. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
4. Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

I was excited that To All The Boys and Anya's Ghost won because I just bought them recently. I think four is a good number of books for me to read this week :)

message 30: by Xaviera (new)

Xaviera Olavarría (lovexav) | 5 comments Brianna wrote: "My TBR for this month's read a thon is:

I was excited tha..."

I looooove cinder! <3 I hope you like it ! (unless is a reread, in which case just ignore me hahahhaha)

message 31: by Kayla Rayne (new)

Kayla Rayne (kaylarayne) I am going to have a couple of books on hand so I can have a little variety with my diversity. :D

1. Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley
2. Middle Sex by Jeffrey Eugneides
3. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
4. The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker
5. Cinder by Merissa Meyer

message 33: by Sahiba (new)

Sahiba (susannah_deanw) | 1 comments I'm going to be reading the Book Thief. I got it in December and this is the perfect opportunity to read it

message 34: by Fatima (new)

Fatima AlSuwaidi I'll read The Book Thief

message 35: by monta (new)

monta (writer_in_progress) | 1 comments I'll try to read Good Omens by Terry Pratchett , Daughter by Jane Shemilt and Chosen (House of Night #3) by P.C. Cast

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I`ll be Reading Viral Nation (Viral Nation, #1) by Shaunta Grimes the diversety here is asbergers.

message 37: by Jana (last edited Feb 01, 2015 03:32AM) (new)

Jana (penguininabluebox) I'll be reading the following books:

1. Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley
2. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
3. Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern
4. One + One = Blue by M.J. Auch
5. Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates
6. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
7. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

And if I get through all of these or want to switch things up a little I have as back up Seven Novels by Jules Verne which I could choose from or Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón.

message 38: by Lordofandoms (new)

Lordofandoms | 1 comments I´m reading Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare
Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) by Cassandra Clare The rest of the infernal devices series.

message 39: by Onka (new)

Onka | 9 comments I'm going to start with The Help and hopefully by the end of the week I'll get also to Flesh And Blood. I think this theme is great and I'm sooo looking foward to it but it's also quite dense so if I finish these 2 books I'll be more than happy!

message 40: by Jeshika (new)

Jeshika Paperdoll (jeshikapaperdoll) I've picked 4 books that I'm going to choose from, I definitely won't get to them all but I'm hoping to get at least 2 read. I tried to pick shorter books because of work.

1. Red Dust Road - Jackie Kay
2. Popular Hits of the Showa Era - Ryu Murakami
3. The Girl Who Could Silence the Wind - Meg Medina
4. Wonder - R J Palacio

Also, I might try to get hold of Anya's Ghost and join in with that or reread The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time if I feel like it (which right now I kinda do).

message 41: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Flores (disneywitch22) Xaviera wrote: "Brianna wrote: "My TBR for this month's read a thon is:

I..."
It's a new read for me so I'm pretty excited :D

message 42: by Lily (last edited Feb 01, 2015 12:16PM) (new)

message 43: by Madi (new)

Madi &#x1f33b; (bookish-reviewsxx) | 8 comments anyone know what time zone we start in?

message 44: by Ana Luisa (last edited Feb 01, 2015 04:06PM) (new)

Ana Luisa (analureads) Madison wrote: "anyone know what time zone we start in?"

I believe you start whenever it's Monday to you.

message 45: by Jayne (new)

Jayne (janujennifer) | 18 comments I will read "The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins (psycho-thriller)... as well as "The Diary of Anne Frank" (non-fiction) and "Like Water for Chocolate" by Laura Esquivel (romance).

Amber (bookstacksamber) (bookstacksamber) Ana Luisa wrote: "Madison wrote: "anyone know what time zone we start in?"

I believe you start whenever it's Monday to you."

Yep, that's right :) I know some of us tend to start the evening of the day before though, so start whenever you want!

message 47: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Noel (wherestephaniereads) | 39 comments Love_thg_tvd wrote: "I´m readingClockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare
Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) by Cassandra Clare The rest of the infernal devices series."

Those are great books. I recently finished and it was amazing. How do you like it so far?

message 48: by Claire (new)

Claire (clairescragglepine) | 63 comments I am going to finish Unbearable Lightness A Story of Loss and Gain by Portia de Rossi (I'm about 1/2 way through), and then read The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan

message 49: by Lorien (last edited Feb 01, 2015 10:36PM) (new)

Lorien (lorienkittybooks) | 188 comments So the book I really wanted to read I can't get a hold of yet, so for my TBR I'm reading Boxers as the MC is Chinese, Elfquest #3: captives of blue mountain where Cutter's wife is a dark skinned elf of the Sunfolk and the humans are all dark skinnned, Melting Stones as the MC is the world's equivalent of Asian, and maybe Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist, Vol. 7: Heavy Metal Raiders.

message 50: by Alice (new)

Alice (girlofyarn) | 0 comments For now I'm going to start with The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini , well I will start with that after I finish the last 30 pages of Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt by Chris Hedges . I also pulled together a pretty big stack of possibilities, which includes Unbowed A Memoir by Wangari Maathai and Life of Pi by Yann Martel because this week is starting off with a snow day and I'm feeling ambitious.

« previous 1