Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Group Reads Archive > March 2015 Steampunk or Firefly-Style Science Fiction Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4691 comments Mod
The March Group Read theme is Steampunk/Firefly-Style Science Fiction Adventure. Let's select the group read and vote!

Considerations:

1. All nominations must be added using the 'add book/author' function above the text box (where you post comments or replies) with an official link to the book on Goodreads. If the book is not nominated with a Goodreads link, it will not be added to the poll.

2. Books from past group reads are not eligible for renomination. You can find a list of past reads here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

3. Books should be readily available, in other words, can be bought new in print or in the ebook format.

4. Books must either be the first in an ongoing series or able to be read as a standalone despite being part of a series.

The poll will go up on February 7th.

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 4691 comments Mod
I'd like to nominate:

Asteroid Outpost by John Bowers. It's available in ebook and it's very inexpensive.

Description: Nick Walker, ex Star Marine and fresh out of the United Federation Marshal Academy arrives on Ceres, part of the asteroid belt, with a laser pistol, a .44 Magnum, and a head filled with zero tolerance. He’s immediately plunged into a mystery of murder, sabotage, and fraud on a gigantic scale.

Nick is on his first assignment, confident he can tame the galaxy, bust the bad guys, and bring relief to the downtrodden. Reality check is just around the corner.

The Asteroid Belt is no place to raise a family—the Belt is the final refuge for fugitives, deadbeats, and creeps in general. Ceres, in particular, is a true den of iniquity, and law enforcement is a full time job.
To Nick, the law is the law, everything is black and white, and never the twain shall meet…

…or shall they? Nick is quickly confronted with the hard reality that sometimes good and evil can coexist, and not everyone is so easily classified. It’s a hard life on the final frontier, and even an idealistic young lawman might learn a few lessons.

The trick is staying alive long enough to learn them.

A science fiction adventure crime drama filled with action and suspense.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2893 comments Mod
I'll nominate:

Lone Star Planet Lone Star Planet by H. Beam Piper

message 4: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (last edited Jan 31, 2015 01:57PM) (new)

Lisa P | 1965 comments Mod
I will nominate Guns of Seneca 6 Guns of Seneca 6 (Guns of Seneca 6, #1) by Bernard Schaffer ...it's been on my TBR forever.
Sounds very Firefly-ish.

LOL, that was one I looked at but decided to go with Lone Star Planet it's also on my 'to read list" so I'll be cool with either. I looked a 3 or 4 "space westerns".

message 6: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

They all sound good...will be a nice change of pace for me!

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 789 comments I'll nominate The Ghost of the Revelator by L.E. Modesitt Jr., a steampunk novel.

message 9: by Justin (new)

Justin I will nominate Terms of Enlistment

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

The poll is up. It closes on Feb. 14!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Thanks to everyone who participated!

message 11: by Justin (new)

Justin not seeing the real poll. only Michael or otis

Just go to the top of the page and click, "polls".

Asteroid Outpost looks interesting, but it's E book only. I'm backed up on E books.

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Justin wrote: "not seeing the real poll. only Michael or otis"

This link should take you to the poll.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "Asteroid Outpost looks interesting, but it's E book only. I'm backed up on E books."

I know what you mean. But .99 is such a good price though.

Yeah...I've used the rational a lot. it's part of why I'm so backed up on E books....

0_0

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "Yeah...I've used the rational a lot. it's part of why I'm so backed up on E books....

0_0"

Yeah, no kidding!

message 18: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Feb 15, 2015 06:21PM) (new)

Asteroid Outpost won the poll. You can buy your copy here for .99 cents:

http://www.amazon.com/Asteroid-Outpos...

If you know of another legal eformat, feel free to post a link here.

Our discussion will begin on March 1st. Thanks to everyone who voted!

message 19: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Thanks Danielle...got it!

message 20: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Lisa P wrote: "Thanks Danielle...got it!"

Yay!