Guardian Newspaper 1000 Novels discussion

Affinity
This topic is about Affinity
Monthly Book Reads > February - Affinity

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Iona For the discussion of Affinity by Sara Waters.

Leslie | 825 comments Submitted my request to the library -- hopefully the wait won't be too long.

Kaycie | 455 comments Mod
Hi Leslie! Did you ever get the book? I am about halfway through this one, so was hoping someone would want to discuss it this month!

Leslie | 825 comments Kaycie wrote: "Hi Leslie! Did you ever get the book? I am about halfway through this one, so was hoping someone would want to discuss it this month!"

I just got the email that it has arrived this morning. I'll be picking it up tomorrow!

Excellent! Glad to have the company! Have you read any Sarah waters before? I've read two of her others that I loved. This one started a bit slower for me than I'm used to for her, but is picking up.

Leslie | 825 comments This will be my first. I want to finish up a book I am currently reading before I start but should be able to get to it Sunday or Monday.

Leslie - Sarah waters has now cemented herself as a favorite author of mine, and I didn't think that affinity was a favorite book until now. It's been two days since i finished it and I'm still ruminating on it! That doesn't happen to me very much!

That being said, I wouldn't tell a Waters newbie to start with Affinity. It's not her strongest work. But, just keep that in mind, and if it's not a favorite don't let it turn you off of Waters in general!

And enjoy the ride! There is so much to discuss in this book, I can't wait until someone finishes!

Is anyone else planning on reading this one?

Leslie | 825 comments I am about 75 pgs in -- I am not sure I like the switches in perspective happening so frequently. I'm glad I am reading this rather than listening to it as an audiobook, as the subtle clue in the change in font would have completely gone passed me!

Leslie wrote: "I am about 75 pgs in -- I am not sure I like the switches in perspective happening so frequently. I'm glad I am reading this rather than listening to it as an audiobook, as the subtle clue in the ..."

I agree! I actually missed initially that the first chapter was a different character, and spent a good amount of time into the book thinking that was the first Margaret chapter. I eventually went back to re-read it and figured out I was wrong.

Hmmm...I actually read a kindle version, and I don't think it had a change in font. Maybe thats why I was so confused at the beginning! I bet that makes all of the difference...

I actually think I like this book even more than I thought. I finished it a week ago and I'm still thinking about it!

Leslie | 825 comments Up to Part 2. I am guessing that (view spoiler)

The prison conditions seem extremely harsh especially in comparison to modern day American prisons, where being denied cable TV is sometimes considered "cruel and unusual punishment"!

Leslie wrote: "Up to Part 2. I am guessing that [spoilers removed]

The prison conditions seem extremely harsh especially in comparison to modern day American prisons, where being denied cable TV is sometimes co..."

I'm not going to reply to your spoiler, persay, since I don't want to ruin things, but a bit of research into Sarah Water's common book themes will more than likely take care of that one for you.

As per the prison conditions, I agree, and just wait! The more Victorian literature I read, the more I am thrilled I wasn't a woman in those times!

How is the read so far? I'm curious if it feels like any less of a slog knowing that there are multiple narrators from the get-go. I really think much of my slogging through the first half was due to the not-different fonts in the alternating chapters and I wish I knew about that while I was reading. It took me way too long to figure out that different characters were supposed to be narrating those.

Leslie | 825 comments Kaycie wrote: "How is the read so far? I'm curious if it feels like any less of a slog knowing that there are multiple narrators from the get-go. I really think much of my slogging through the first half was due to the not-different.."

Hmmmm... Not loving it but not hating it either. It seems to be very slow moving.

Leslie wrote: "Kaycie wrote: "How is the read so far? I'm curious if it feels like any less of a slog knowing that there are multiple narrators from the get-go. I really think much of my slogging through the firs..."

Alright, cool. Thats actually about where I was until about 60% through.

Leslie | 825 comments Ugh. I had to force myself to finish once the resolution of the plot became apparent at about page 200... I can see that Waters is a very good writer but the long descriptive passages were mostly boring to me. And Margaret is so wrapped up in her own thoughts & sensations that my sympathy for her eventually evaporated.

Leslie | 825 comments Ugh. I had to force myself to finish once the resolution of the plot became apparent at about page 200... I can see that Waters is a very good writer but the long descriptive passages were mostly boring to me. And Margaret is so wrapped up in her own thoughts & sensations that my sympathy for her eventually evaporated.

Leslie wrote: "Ugh. I had to force myself to finish once the resolution of the plot became apparent at about page 200... I can see that Waters is a very good writer but the long descriptive passages were mostly..."

Oh man, I'm sorry you didn't like it! I guessed a good deal of what was happening, but couldn't figure out how it was going to happen.

I do really like waters writing, and this book was no exception for me. I really enjoy her Victorian psychological thriller type books!