paced reading horror and thrillers discussion

buddy reads > Offspring, Jack Ketchum

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Andy (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments We will start sometime soon. Welcome all!

message 2: by Maxine Marsh (new)

Maxine Marsh | 703 comments Mod
I'm going to speed read Off Season and then catch up with you guys on this one!

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments Hold on to your hat and enjoy, Maxine!

message 4: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 3492 comments Mod
Ok, I got my copy. When are we starting again? Next week right? You want to just wait for maxine since we are both in at least three other buddy/group reads anyway?

message 5: by Andy (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments Yeah, let's just wait. No rush.

Maxine, feel free to post your thoughts about Off Season here. It's been a couple years and that would be a good reminder.

message 6: by Maxine Marsh (new)

Ok, will do! I'm not sure how I'm going to pull off all these buddy/group reads, but it should be fun. The only work by Ketchum I've read is I'm Not Sam, I've been too afraid to read the others! I saw the movie version of The Woman last year and it was pretty messed up.

message 7: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments I'd like to join. Should get the book soon here;)

message 8: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments Got it! I'm in!

message 9: by Andy (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments Did you read Off Season yet, Addy?

message 10: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments Yes. Last year I think, but I fairly remember it especially one scene that I picture every time I think of this book. You know the tree scene? Just sticks with me.

message 11: by Andy (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments Lol, yes that is the scene that is most vivid in my mind as well. The book takes off like a rocket.

message 12: by Justin (new)

I don't remember a tree scene someone needs to spoiler tag and refresh my memory.

message 13: by Justin (new)

Actually I don't remember much now that I think about it.

message 14: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments (view spoiler)

message 15: by Andy (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments (view spoiler)

message 16: by Justin (last edited Feb 01, 2015 04:41PM) (new)

I wish there was a movie for off season, they are the perfect way to refresh your memory quickly before reading a sequel. If I didn't have so many other group/buddy reads going I might have actually re-read it anyway, I'm sure the important parts will come back to me when I get into the next book though, and you guys can refresh my memory also.

message 17: by Andy (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments There was talk of a movie 5 or so years ago but it never happened.

message 18: by Justin (new)

That to bad, it would have made a badass movie.

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Justin wrote: "I wish there was a movie for off season, they are the perfect way to refresh your memory quickly before reading a sequel. If I didn't have so many other group/buddy reads going I might have actuall..."

There's a movie for Offspring, I have it but haven't watched it yet.

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Addy wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

Was that before the (view spoiler)

message 21: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Maxine wrote: "Ok, will do! I'm not sure how I'm going to pull off all these buddy/group reads, but it should be fun. The only work by Ketchum I've read is I'm Not Sam, I've been too afraid to read the others! I ..."

The book is amazing and just as messed up as the movie.

message 22: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments Kate, yes that's the one! Sounds yummy don't it? J/k:)

message 23: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments I've started this one and it's gonna be a nasty ride. Can't wait! I'm trying to remember what happened as far as the sheriff and police force go in Off Season as it's going back already. I may need to pull out the book again.

message 24: by Addy (new)

message 25: by Justin (last edited Feb 03, 2015 05:23PM) (new)

Addy wrote: "I've started this one and it's gonna be a nasty ride. Can't wait! I'm trying to remember what happened as far as the sheriff and police force go in Off Season as it's going back already. I may need..."

I don't remember either. (view spoiler)

message 26: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments I just noticed that The Lost and Red are movies as well. Anyone seen them? Also, in the movie Offspring does anyone know if The Woman is in that movie as well? I hope my ? makes sense.

message 27: by Justin (new)

I found four of his books that where made into movies but don't see anything about off season every being completed. I will probably try to read them sometime this year, being on third shift I actually watch a few movies on weekends now and I like to read books that where made into movies first.

message 28: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments Yeah I think your right Justin in regards to your question in the spoiler tag. I think it's talked about a little when they revisit the cave.

message 29: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Addy wrote: "I just noticed that The Lost and Red are movies as well. Anyone seen them? Also, in the movie Offspring does anyone know if The Woman is in that movie as well? I hope my ? makes sense."

I'll have to watch the movie. I hope so, her character is badass.

message 30: by Maxine Marsh (new)

Ok, I'm finished with Off Season! I was actually questionable at first because it starts off good in the prologue but then nothing happens until 40% in! There was an entire chapter on how Carla cleaned the house. Blah. But once we got to 40%, the action started up and I finished it quickly! I love the dark ending which apparently was edited completely differently the first time around.

message 31: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Maxine wrote: "Ok, I'm finished with Off Season! I was actually questionable at first because it starts off good in the prologue but then nothing happens until 40% in! There was an entire chapter on how Carla cle..."

I get what you mean about the beginning, I think this is the author lulling readers into a false sense of security. Spending time with her as a reader would make you feel more invested in her outcome.

message 32: by Maxine Marsh (new)

*That feeling when an author makes you love a character and then kills them hard*

I liked Dan.

message 33: by Andy (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments Has anyone started Offspring yet?

message 34: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments I'm at 30% so far

message 35: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments 35%(view spoiler)

message 36: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments 37%(view spoiler)

message 37: by Maxine Marsh (last edited Feb 09, 2015 01:11PM) (new)

I'll be starting soon! The only good thing about being home with a bad cold is getting a little bit of extra reading done. *Sniffle*

message 38: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments Hope you feel better! You are sure to have a wild ride with this one!

message 39: by Justin (new)

I am going to start tonight.

message 40: by Andy (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments Well, if you all say so. I guess I'll put aside my Laymon for another night in favor of Ketchum. I also start tonight.

message 41: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Addy wrote: "37%[spoilers removed]"

If i'm remembering correctly, no, (view spoiler)

message 42: by Addy (new)

message 43: by Kate (new)

Kate | 1106 comments Mod
Addy wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

No, you're right. (view spoiler)

message 44: by Andy (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments Read to page 50 last night. Pretty good so far. I feel bad for poor old sheriff George.

message 45: by Addy (new)

Addy | 1944 comments This is kinda funny but I found myself making a family tree of the cave ppl to get it straight. Messed up stuff!

message 46: by Justin (new)

I read about twelve percent, not sure how many pages right now and to lazy to check. Opening scene with lady coming home from the bar is pretty badass though, just like I remembered the first one. Can't wait to take a real bite out of this tomorrow.

message 47: by Andy (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments Having the cave people mark territory with urine is a really nice touch.

message 48: by Maxine Marsh (new)

I'm at 21% and may I say...this book is eons better than the last one so far! The writing is fantastic, the opening scene was scary and I'm so glad to see our Sheriff Peters is back. The pacing so far is perfect. I already like the game-creator couple and I'm pissed because I know Ketchum is about to slaughter them! Ketchum is such an evil mastermind, I love it.

message 49: by Andy (new)

Andy (manicsloth) | 787 comments I'm about 1/3 done. Enjoying it too, especially the tribal aspects and backstory of the small clan and how they joined up. "The Cow"!? That is nuts.

message 50: by Maxine Marsh (new)

Yes! "The Cow" took it to a whole new level.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Woman (other topics)