Girls in Capes 100 Books Challenge discussion

Red Rising (Red Rising Saga, #1)
This topic is about Red Rising
GIC Book Club > January Book Club: Red Rising

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Feliza Casano (felizacasano) | 52 comments Mod
Open discussion thread for Pierce Brown's RED RISING. What did you think about the book? Its strong points? Weaknesses?

Amber Brown (ambernevabrown) I definitely enjoyed the book. It was sort of a Lord of the Flies meets Hunger Games deal, and I liked Brown's writing style.
I could've done without the fridging of his wife in the beginning, but really liked Mustang as a character.

Alyssa (heresheisnow) | 15 comments It's been a few months since I read this one so it's not fresh in my mind, but I remember being extremely disinterested for the first 150 pages. I was bored, and Darrow was an annoying brat with a chip in his shoulder, and I felt absolutely nothing when his wife got killed at the beginning because I had zero investment in anybody. Actually, it probably started at the very very beginning, when I read the note from the author: "You're going to bloodydamn love it." Which made me go in with arched skeptical eyebrow--like who are you to use your own made up slang to tell me how I'm going to feel about your book? So THAT rubbed be the wrong way from page one. (Fun fact: I later got my hands on an ARC, and in that the author's note says, "I hope you bloodydamn love it." Don't know who was responsible for changing that wording for the final version, but I think keeping that word "hope" in there would've prevented that knee-jerk skepticism.)

ANYWAY. That all being said, I can't believe I ended up liking this book as much as I did after being bored for the first 150 pages! Sure, there were Hunger Games/Lord of the Flies/Battle Royale elements, but that's all part of the Long Conversation thing to me. No such thing as a new idea in the world, right? And I did think it was original. Just the turn it took from being blah to being awesome for me...it still kind of boggles my mind. XD I was shipping Darrow and Mustang from the first time they met. Sometimes I felt like the writing was trying really hard (maybe a little too hard) to be deep and meaningful, but I think those times were outweighed by the times when it was spot-on, especially in the second half of the book. I remember there were a few lines that gave me chills to read (though I don't remember which ones they were anymore). I also just really like this idea of Darrow torn between saving/avenging his family and friends from where he came from, and the people he actually likes and respects in this society he has infiltrated.

I bought Golden Son when it came out, but I haven't started it yet. (I don't know why I do this. I'm really excited for a book to come out, and then when it finally does I put off reading it for the longest time...)

Amber Brown (ambernevabrown) Alyssa wrote: "It's been a few months since I read this one so it's not fresh in my mind, but I remember being extremely disinterested for the first 150 pages. I was bored, and Darrow was an annoying brat with a..."

I totally agree about the beginning of it. It was really lackluster, unoriginal, nothing very impressive to me. Throw in surgery scenes and rape, and I was truly unimpressed.

However, once I got past that, to when Darrow starts to show real growth and leadership, I got a lot more invested! I loved how he started to see that it's not all black and white (or Gold and Red, as it were), and when he became the "people's leader" by un-enslaving people who were loyal. Also when he punished one person, and then punished himself as well because they were "one team".

I hope Golden Son approaches some of the flaws of Red Rising, like the lack of world-building. I think it has a lot of potential though. :)