Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2015 > Joyce's 50 book challenge 2015

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joyce (last edited Jan 31, 2015 07:36AM) (new)

Joyce (annmack) | 9 comments Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy

I am so happy I read this book. It has an iconic history of being the best piece of fiction and while I loved it, that is hard to live up to. Anna is not an entirely likeable character. In fact, the person that will always live with me is Levin who feels a little like Tolstoy's muse of himself. I can't wait to read more Tolstoy. Fantastic.

message 2: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (annmack) | 9 comments The Last Days of California by Mary Miller

15 year old crossing the country with parents and sister on the way to the rapture. Not much arc but the characters beautifully come alive and made the trip of reading really worth it. Read it fast!

message 3: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (annmack) | 9 comments Hardwiring Happiness by Dr. Rick Hanson

Self help book (yes) , scientific exploration of how to use mindfulnes and directed thought to be happier. What I came away from after reading the book is this; you should let the goodness in your life be acknowledged - with greater awareness and determination

message 4: by Lee (new)

Lee Whitney (boobearcat) mindfulness is so hard for me. Like my mind is constantly wandering.

message 5: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (annmack) | 9 comments Every Secret Thing by Gillian Slovo

History of Ruth First and Joe Slovo during the anti apartheid movement written by their daughter. It was ok. Did like reading about the history of South Africa.

message 6: by Joyce (last edited Feb 06, 2015 04:27PM) (new)

Joyce (annmack) | 9 comments 5. Shadow of the Night by Deborah Harkness

Too embarrassed that I read this. (and it was so long!)

message 7: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (annmack) | 9 comments The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organized. Again, I have nothing to defend this one.

message 8: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (annmack) | 9 comments My Struggle 31 by Karl Ove Knausgaard (Book number 8)

Riveting is the word that I keep coming up with. It is like I am listening in on someones mind and they don't know I am there. Usually
I am researching articles and interviews but you don't need to with Karl Ove. You feel completely satiated in knowing him, I mean-- the character. His sensitivity and arrogance easily shift back and forth. I am going to take a break and look forward to #2

"If I had forgotten something that happened to my childhood it was probably due to repression; if I became really furious about something it was probably due to projection, and the fact that I always tried to please people I met had something to do with my father and my relationship with him. There is no one who does not understand their own world."

PS I am a complete sucker for the rugged Norwegian guy on the cliff staring out at sea.