The Reading Challenge Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Mini Challenge Archive 2014-2016 > Very, Very Valentine (February)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited Jan 31, 2015 01:08PM) (new)

Renee M | 4719 comments Mod
This single book challenge is only good for one month!
From February 1 to February 28.

Mission: Find and read one book with a cover that is somehow associated with the Valentine experience. This could mean hearts, flowers, chocolate, pink, love, letters, heartbreak. Also, the book doesn't have to be a romance, just have some Valentine association on the cover. (Artwork or Title)

Any genre is welcome. Finding the books is part of the fun! For example, the books below are not romances but could be counted for this challenge...
Flowers for Algernon
White Oleander
Red Dragon
Beloved

Please include something about the "Valentine Connection" in your post, so we can all enjoy your creativity. :)

P. S. You can do this challenge more than one in Febrauary, but each book counts as a single.

message 2: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Reserved for updates

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments How about Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, because LOVE is in the title and we know that Valentine's is all about LOVE. <3

message 4: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Perfect. It's a long book, though. You'll be a reading machine this month!

message 5: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) | 1298 comments Mod
Interesting challenge, Renee! This one will require some thought, but with a glance at my shelves, I found The Kiss of a Stranger that could work. I'm sure there are others!

message 6: by Allison, Quest Hound (last edited Feb 09, 2015 12:13PM) (new)

Ok, I found a few other possibilities. I think I can manage one of these this month.

The Kiss of a Stranger by Sarah M. Eden (Title - kiss)
The Secret History of the Pink Carnation (Pink Carnation, #1) by Lauren Willig (Cover & title - flowers)
Sweet Revenge (A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery, #1) by Andrea Penrose (Cover - this could be a candle-lit Valentine's dinner)

message 7: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

All great choices!!
I highly recommend The Pink Carnation. It was a hoot!

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 5 comments I just read "To Be With You". On the cover was a couple on the beach kissing at sunset, so I think that more than qualifies. ;) Not a great book, tough subject matter with an okay ending.

message 9: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Iasa-
That's a lovely story. <3

Jennifer-
Yep. That completely qualifies. :)

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel finished 2/8/15. So does the chocolates count? :D

message 11: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Oh, yes! That's perfect!

message 12: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I'm actually struggling to find a cover/title that fits this mini. I'll probably go with The Rosie Effect, since it's not the group read and has a flower name (sort of) in the title. Or The Red Tent if I can get to it. Other than that, even my "chick lit" choices have covers/titles which aren't very Valentine-y.

message 13: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments Dear John by Nicholas Sparks. The cover I have is a couple sitting together on the beach so I think that qualifies!

message 14: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Yep. Mush is always good.

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments How about A Room with a View, because lover's love a room with a view. ;D Finished this one today. Does it count, Renee?

message 16: by Melissa (last edited Feb 11, 2015 03:01PM) (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments It all depends if there is a break! Actually this sounded like one of Kassandra's reading weekend's with Hubby. :D

message 17: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments Lol, you crack me up Melissa. Fortuitous timing too as I will be having one of those weekends this weekend!! :)

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Wow, lucky girl or is it lucky hubby! I'm cooking an Italian meal for my troops, but I believe no window with a view for us this weekend. :) Well I hope your weekend never sees the light between the shades! Have fun! :D

message 19: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments Thanks Melissa and Iasa!

Melissa, the Italian meal sounds amazing. Lucky family!

message 20: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Heheh. The lover's view is a bit of a stretch, but I have two copies, one with a pen and ink sketch of the view of charming Italian street scene and the other with the lovers from the movie sitting in a window enjoying the view of each other's faces. Either way, the view is lovely, so sure, I think it counts. :)

message 21: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

P. S. My friend went to Florence with her husband and sent me photos of the view from their pensioné. It was amazing!

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Oh, to have a room with a view! Kassandra, will you be viewing out your window this weekend?

I would love to go to Italy, I would probably be interested in the food as much as the views!

message 23: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

The views. The food. The art. The gelato.
Sigh. Yeah. Bucket list item.

message 24: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments I will be for sure. Niagara Falls is pretty this time of year. Italy is definitely on my bucket list too. There are just so many places to see!

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Oh yes, the architecture, the art, and gelato would be a priority.

Is Niagara Falls your destination this weekend, Kassandra?

message 26: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments It is indeed. It's one of our favourite local destinations.

message 27: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments How wonderful and romantic! Would love to put this on my bucket list. :)

message 28: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments It's a beautiful place. Spring is a great time to visit - not as busy then. Winter is nice because you can see the frozen falls and the light show on the ice, but let me tell you, it's really bloody cold to walk around in this weather!

message 29: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Kassandra wrote: "It's a beautiful place. Spring is a great time to visit - not as busy then. Winter is nice because you can see the frozen falls and the light show on the ice, but let me tell you, it's really blood..."

With daytime highs between 50 and 66 degrees F here in sunny Colorado, I'll pass until spring. Really would love to visit sometime!

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Oh by the way, there shouldn't be a whole lot walking around this weekend, because you have a room with a view. ;D

message 31: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments Good point Melissa ;)

message 32: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Lol. Well, that's quite romantic, isn't it. <3

message 33: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Hehehe, never saw so many men's winkies, usually the girl's boobies are the big show. I finished watching A Room with a View. Such a good valentine's movie, winkies and all. ;D

message 34: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Lol. The first time I saw ARWAV it had been edited because everyone kept talking about going for a bathe, a bathe, a bathe, but no one did. The second time was unedited and so the bathe was left intact. I was just as surprised as Miss Honeychurch. :)

message 35: by Melissa (last edited Feb 14, 2015 11:23AM) (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments My sister was five years younger (at the time) so she was maybe around 18 and we laughed and laughed. I think we were more surprised than Miss Honeychurch, she kept her composure at least. Netflix has the unedited version if you want to see rollicking fellas.

message 36: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Now that I think of it Cecil was more shocked than Lucy! :)

message 37: by Becca (new)

Becca Tyler (scrappybec) | 294 comments All the comments inspired me to watch A Room With a View!

message 38: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited Feb 25, 2015 03:59AM) (new)

Never underestimate the power of a well placed winkie. ;-)

message 39: by Happy (new)

Happy (worldhasteeth) A Monstrous Regiment of Women (Mary Russell & Sherlock Holmes, #2) by Laurie R. King
A Monstrous Regiment of Women by Laurie R. King

I can't say the cover has much to recommend it towards the theme, but at the end, there is one of the hottest kisses I've ever read in fiction! *fanning self*

message 40: by megan (new)

megan | 883 comments Looks like ARWAV is being moved up on my Netflix to-watch list.

message 41: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Happy wrote: "A Monstrous Regiment of Women (Mary Russell & Sherlock Holmes, #2) by Laurie R. King
A Monstrous Regiment of Women by Laurie R. King

I can't say the cover has much to recommend it towards the theme, b..."

Well, I might read this one just to experience the kiss!

Megan, let us know what you think!

message 42: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I've heard good things about the first in that series, Happy. Good to know there's something to look forward to in book 2. :)

message 43: by Dianne (new)

Dianne (dianeterry) | 37 comments I have been reading I capture the Castle by Dodie Smith, it has been on the shelf for years. Such easy reading, read over half in one sitting.

message 44: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Castles are very romantic. :)

That is on my list for this year as well. Glad to hear its such an enjoyable read.

message 45: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Castles are very romantic. :)

That is on my list for this year as well. Glad to hear its such an enjoyable read.

message 46: by Izavel (new)

Izavel (izaveldfranco) | 28 comments Queen Mab A Tale Entwined with William Shakespeare's Romeo &amp; Juliet by Kate Danley 2-13-15

Queen Mab by Kate Danley is a retelling of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, in which the protagonist is the fae queen of dreams.

message 47: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 916 comments Well I'm getting in the Lucky One for my romance book. This challenge was harder than I thought.

message 48: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Finished this mini twice:

1) - The Rosie Effect** if I go with Rosie as a flower
2) - Pauline's Passion and Punishment** because, while it's a revenge story, passion is a Valentine word and the cover is red.

message 49: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

I ended up reading The Kiss of a Stranger for this mini-challenge. I doubled it up with my Romance genre read for the month.

message 50: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Schneider (cltschneider) | 76 comments I read To All the Boys I've Loved Before and was very thankful afterwards to never have to re-live teenage relationship angst. This was recommended to me by several of my middle school students, and was a great reminder of what they are going through.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.