Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Mr. Mercedes (Bill Hodges Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Mr. Mercedes
Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > King, Stephen - Mr Mercedes (Bill Hodges Trilogy #1) - Informal Buddy Read; Start: February 1, 2015

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King

Book Synopsis
n a mega-stakes, high-suspense race against time, three of the most unlikely and winning heroes Stephen King has ever created try to stop a lone killer from blowing up thousands.

In the frigid pre-dawn hours, in a distressed Midwestern city, hundreds of desperate unemployed folks are lined up for a spot at a job fair. Without warning, a lone driver plows through the crowd in a stolen Mercedes, running over the innocent, backing up, and charging again. Eight people are killed; fifteen are wounded. The killer escapes.

In another part of town, months later, a retired cop named Bill Hodges is still haunted by the unsolved crime. When he gets a crazed letter from someone who self-identifies as the "perk" and threatens an even more diabolical attack, Hodges wakes up from his depressed and vacant retirement, hell-bent on preventing another tragedy.

Brady Hartfield lives with his alcoholic mother in the house where he was born. He loved the feel of death under the wheels of the Mercedes, and he wants that rush again. Only Bill Hodges, with a couple of highly unlikely allies, can apprehend the killer before he strikes again. And they have no time to lose, because Brady's next mission, if it succeeds, will kill or maim thousands.

Mr. Mercedes is a war between good and evil, from the master of suspense whose insight into the mind of this obsessed, insane killer is chilling and unforgettable.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

Emma (M) | 1673 comments I have the audible version of this book. The narrator took me a little while to get used to but now I am really enjoying it. (view spoiler)

The bad guy is very creepy and gives me the heeby jeebies, which I suppose is the point :)

message 5: by V_Nerdbooks (new) - added it

V_Nerdbooks | 4825 comments Is it Will Patten narrating? He's done a few of his.

Emma (M) | 1673 comments Yep, its Will Patton. He actually really suits this book and he does the cop so well, but his voice is very different from any other narrator that I have listened to, it took me a bit to get used to him.

Vikki (silverstarz) | 1035 comments I'm going to start this one when I finish Sharp Objects - I'm already 2 thirds of the way through it so I reckon I'll get started Mr Mercedes tomorrow or Tuesday

Justin (rockstarintraining) I'd like to join you all if I can grab this soon. I've been reading sine early SK and hear thus is one of the best he's written in a while.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I will be reading it too.

Emma (M) | 1673 comments Justin wrote: "I'd like to join you all if I can grab this soon. I've been reading sine early SK and hear thus is one of the best he's written in a while."

This is the first I've read of SK's newer books (last book of his I read was in the 90's!) and it's been really good so far.

message 11: by Emma (M) (last edited Feb 03, 2015 11:42PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emma (M) | 1673 comments So I'm about half way through and I can just feel the tension building. Mr Mercedes, the 'badie' is very disturbed and so very creepy, which I love. Everytime I listen to it in my car I get totally absorbed in the story.

I really like Bill Hodges as the protagonist. I just can't help root for him, and I love that the lead character is a 62 yr old retiree!

Vikki (silverstarz) | 1035 comments I'm only about a quarter way through so far. I'm quite liking Bill Hodges as the main character. I want to find out more about Mr Mercedes - I agree that he does come across as disturbed & creepy Emma.

Emma (M) | 1673 comments Well I finished it tonight. I enjoyed the audible version and thought the narrator did a good job. For the most part I really like Bill Hodges, however (view spoiler) Besides those couple of points I enjoyed the story and it was interesting getting inside the mind of the killer as well as the detective, getting both points of view.

Vikki (silverstarz) | 1035 comments I like books where you get view points from both the detective & the murderer - it seems like we're getting quite a bit from Mr Mercedes. One book I read earlier this year just had a page or two at the start of each chapter (maybe less in print, I read it as an e-book). I find it really interesting to get inside the minds of criminals and try to find out why they committed the crimes they did. I'm hoping that's going to be the case in this book.

Cynthia (cynthiab) I'm about 80 pages in, just finished the first part and I'm starting 'Under Debbie's Blue Umbrella'. (view spoiler)

Emma (M) | 1673 comments Cynthia wrote: "I'm about 80 pages in, just finished the first part and I'm starting 'Under Debbie's Blue Umbrella'. I love the way King writes about ordinary situations. It's so real. When he was talking about t..."

(view spoiler)

Vikki (silverstarz) | 1035 comments I think I remember people commenting about references to other books when I read 11/22/63. I never pick up on them because I haven't read King's other books....

Cynthia (cynthiab) Emma, re the book references:
(view spoiler)

I've read through the 2nd Chapter 9 (page 123). The more I get into it, the more I like it. Doesn't it say somewhere this is 1/3 books? I do hope he doesn't take 20 years to finish it. He's not getting any younger. (view spoiler)

message 19: by Emma (M) (last edited Feb 09, 2015 11:16AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emma (M) | 1673 comments Cynthia wrote: "Emma, re the book references:

Thanks for the Christine reference Cynthia, he's so sneaky getting them in there like that.

I saw the synopsis for the second one in the Bill Hodges series is up on Goodreads, so maybe that will be out in this year - he's pretty quick with churning them out.

Cynthia (cynthiab) I knew it! (view spoiler)

Cynthia (cynthiab) OH MY! So much has happened so quickly. I'm on Chapter 25 of the section called Call for the Dead, around 66%. (view spoiler)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Finally my library kindle book came in. I will be starting soon. :)

Cynthia (cynthiab) RachelvlehcaR wrote: "Finally my library kindle book came in. I will be starting soon. :)"

It's the best Stephen King I've read in ages. I forgot I had it, truthfully. Then I read Revival, which I hated with a passion, and I didn't know if I wanted to read any new King for a while. This is just what I needed.

Vikki (silverstarz) | 1035 comments I've just finished the Poison Bait section

(view spoiler)

MJ Codename: ♕Duchess♕ (mjsgamingblog) I enjoyed it. I'm hoping the second book picks up though. I'm curious to see how the story plans out since it's only a trilogy.

Vikki (silverstarz) | 1035 comments I finally finished tonight & enjoyed this book. I'm interested to read the rest of the trilogy when it's published.

(view spoiler)