Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's Books in Jan-2015

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments I had a very good start to the year, six very good books,five on audio with one actually a podcast, one print book and one supplemented on Kindle. I started four others during the month but won't finish any of them before Sunday so here goes...
Station Eleven
Ordinary Grace
The Anatomy of Deception
Serial: Season One
The Paying Guests
The Girl on the Train
Mandel, Emily St John Station Eleven finished 1/6/2015 on Audio rank 9.65 of 10
What an unusual construction, and a different take on what could have been "another apocalypse novel" and was actually much more. The characters build up into real people, people with emotions and dreams and that you care deeply about. Perhaps not the most comforting book to read while a winter flu epidemic is growing, but a book that leaves you with a resonant feeling and much to consider. A good start to 2015!

Krueger, William Kent Ordinary Grace finished 1/10/2015 Print Library rank 9.25 of 10
With lyrical grace, the title resonates and the narrative unveils the murders and a glimpse at how Frank Drum dealt with the resulting great loss. The author reveals the losses experienced by others as well through Frank's eyes and tempered by the perspective of the years since and with a growing sense of understanding of life that doesn't diminish the loss, but calls attention to it, and gives it a place to be and a place to build one's life around.

Goldstone, Lawrence The Anatomy of Deception finished 1/12/2015 on Audio rank 9.5 of 10
The history of modern medicine is entwined in this mystery of a most dangerous time to need medical help, as misinformed and mediocre doctors fight to protect the status quo, while more forward thinking physicians fight for the acceptance of practices and procedures we take for granted today

Koenig, Sarah Serial: Season One finished 1/16/2015 on Audio podcast rank 9.75 of 10
True Crime is like no other genre. The narrative builds and builds, facts, lies, half-truths, in and out of the courtroom, a behind the scenes look at a case that is very compelling.

Waters, Sarah The Paying Guests finished 1/25/2015 Audio rank 9 of 10
Compelling and well written, almost like three novels in one. The historical details are fascinating, post WWI London class and the criminal justice system all twisted up in a seductive thriller. This was not what I expected, but it was very good.

Hawkins, Paula The Girl on the Train finished 1/30/2015 on Audio and Kindle rank 9.85 of 10
What a book, well worth the hype. Told in alternating female voices, we are never quite sure what to believe, but we start to care deeply as the details emerge. Someone is hiding what they know. I can hear the sound of the trains and get a glimpse of the view from the tracks in my mind's eye still.

message 2: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Great month!

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments Good start to the year.

message 4: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments Great month

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments Good reads! I need to look into STATION ELEVEN and possibly THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN.

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1299 comments Great month and start to the year! Looks like some quality books!

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1639 comments Some good ones Ann!

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments I am annoyed that the podcast listing for the Serial audio I listened to in January is no longer in the Goodreads catalog. I suppose technically it is a series of podcasts, but still as much a book as some of the shorts that are included.

message 9: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1380 comments The short story e-books have been published as books. The podcasts have not been published as books. That's where Goodreads librarians draw the line.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Shomeret: I understand it; I just wish there was a way I could continue to list this one particular podcast here on GR for my own records anyway.
Carol has me hooked on podcasts now and I wouldn't expect to list the others I listen to, this one was more of a full fledged story with the format mimicking a regular audio book. i'll survive! ;) If it hadn't been listed in the first place I would be less annoyed, but I understand how that probably happened too.

Shomeret wrote: "The short story e-books have been published as books. The podcasts have not been published as books. That's where Goodreads librarians draw the line."

message 11: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1380 comments Anyone on Goodreads can add records to the database. So some member somewhere added a podcast. Then a super-librarian who noticed it probably deleted it. Super-librarians with super-powers (lol) are the only ones who are allowed to delete.

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8060 comments Ann, it never occurred to me to list Serial as a book but you are right, it is equivalent to an audiobook in my view; I'm going to go back and list it on my internal record.
I have The Girl on the Train, Ordinary Grace and The Paying Guests on my tbr, with the latter two sitting in my iTunes library.