Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

thanks for the memories (forever and a day #2)
This topic is about thanks for the memories
Book Issues > Duplicate Page

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Libby Austin (libby_austin) | 11 comments I created a page for my book, which already has two ratings.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

I think when the book was uploaded to KDP it created another page for the same book.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

I would like to have the second page deleted or the information merged with the first page before reviews and ratings start getting split between the two pages. And can you tell me how to prevent this from happening in the future?

Thank you in advance.

message 2: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 569 comments Is the book only sold in kindle format? Are you offering it in any other formats? paperback? pdf? other e-book?

Each separate format should have a different edition. Then they would be combined into the same "book".

message 3: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl The two records need to be merged - it is now in the queue for merging.

message 4: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl There's no way to prevent it from happening in the future. Imported books will autocombine if their titles are exactly the same, but usually they won't and combines/merges have to be done manually.

message 5: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Also, if you add your books in the future please be aware of proper capitalization for titles. Some of your books don't have proper capitalization. And, editors on fiction works are not considered authors and do not get author credits.

message 6: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl And: it's good to add an expected publication date to unpublished books.

Libby Austin (libby_austin) | 11 comments Thank you for your help. This particular book is only available in ebook.

I'm well aware of proper capitalization; however, the titles of the books in this series are never capitalized. They aren't capitalized on the covers, nor within the book. This is acceptable based on the CMOS. I don't like that the title was changed without my permission. It does not match the title or the style of the book, which according to GR, it should.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

"title

The title should match the title shown on the cover of the book, if that information is available. If a title includes accented characters, apostrophes, quotation marks, or punctuation, include these in the title. Do not remove definite or indefinite articles such as "the" from the beginning of titles; this is handled by the sort title, which is a different field (see below). Double-check the spelling!"

I did not give anyone but myself author credit. The information was added incorrectly when the book information was pulled from Amazon.

message 8: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments That is not the librarian guidelines, this is:

https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/2...

Where it says:
The title should be capitalized according to standard title capitalization for the language of the edition. Preferred title capitalization in English is the use of capital letters for the principal words. Only use sentence capitalization, all uppercase, all lowercase, or other capitalization if the book specifies it. Note that many titles appear to be in all uppercase or lowercase letters on the cover but are not otherwise capitalized this way, and that therefore the cover is used for the words of the title but not necessarily the capitalization.

Since most librarians automatically normalize the capitalisation according to this any time they see it, I suggest you ask staff via the "contact us" link to put a note on the books you wish to use non-standard capitalisation on.

Libby Austin (libby_austin) | 11 comments "Only use sentence capitalization, all uppercase, all lowercase, or other capitalization if the book specifies it."
I just don't see the point of a librarian taking it upon their self to "correct" things that I did not request to be connected, but thank you for the suggestion that I include a note on things not to change.

message 10: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments This is a database, all databases normalise data. That is the entire reason there are librarians at all. The sentence you did not quote also says capitalisation is not based on the cover (indeed, on the copyright page inside your book, it is given in all uppercase, so there is nothing about it that appears to consistently specify anything).

Authors, unfortunately, write many notes demanding that the rules don't apply to them and don't give reasons, and librarians routinely ignore them because they usually do in fact apply. Hence my suggestion you ask for a staff note, which would not be ignored.

Libby Austin (libby_austin) | 11 comments I did not say the rules didn't apply to me. I said someone should have asked and pointed out the "issue" before changing the titles on 3 of my books. Especially when my post was about a certain issue with a specific book, and the title of thanks for the memories does not appear on the copyright page. This was not information that a computer picked up on and thought didn't fit the norm. This was a human, who made a choice without asking. And by your own words, if it wasn't consistent, which is being corrected in the formatting, on a book I did not ask for anything to be changed on, the person ASSUMED and they assumed incorrectly.

If your desire is to impart information, it was done so poorly and inefficiently.

message 12: by Krazykiwi (last edited Feb 01, 2015 04:19PM) (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Sorry if I upset you.

I suggested you get staff to put a note, to which you replied you would leave one yourself. I was simply explaining that even though you have a particular case, notes asking for deviation from the rules by anyone other than staff are routinely ignored, and won't get you what you need.

Librarians correct data all the time. Certainly your post called attention to your book explicitly, but any librarian that runs across it would likely make the same corrections, and I showed you the whole guideline hoping you would understand why, and told you how to prevent it but clearly I failed.

Libby Austin (libby_austin) | 11 comments I did follow you suggestion to have staff put a note on it. That suggestion I appreciated. I would have appreciated that conversation prior to having my titles changed. When a librarian sees the "error" occurring over several titles by the same author, it would be better to talk to the author to avoid this kind of confusion and irritation on both sides. The suggestions would have been much better received prior to the changes just being made. I would have been able to explain the the inconsistencies within the other title were already being addressed.

The I put a note on it mean that I did contact GR have s staff note included include a note, so hopefully, this will not occur again.