Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5821 comments Mod
Poetry Winner

Lullabies by Lang Leav
Lullabies by Lang Leav

Book Summary
A sequel to the hugely popular, best-selling Love & Misadventure, Lullabies continues to explore the intricacies of love and loss.

Set to a musical theme, love's poetic journey in this new, original collection begins with a Duet and travels through Interlude and Finale with an Encore popular piece from the best-selling Love & Misadventure. Lang Leav's evocative poetry speaks to the soul of anyone who is on this journey.

Leav has an unnerving ability to see inside the hearts and minds of her readers. Her talent for translating complex emotions with astonishing simplicity has won her a cult following of devoted fans from all over the world.

Lang Leav is a poet and internationally exhibiting artist.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Who is planning to read this book this month? I don't think we have too many poetry fans in this group, but I could be wrong. I tried to take it out from the library just to see what it is like, but someone has it out already and the return date is March 14th! I'm not sure how that even happened. We have a 3 week return date. So, I won't get to read it, which is ok because I don't love poetry, but I'll be looking forward to seeing what others thinks of it.

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I'm reading it and so far it's nice. I don't think any poetry would have me jumping up and down screaming 5 stars .. but it seems like a nice little book of poems.

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Glad to hear it, Janina!

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I've finished it .. it's really a quick and easy read.
Overall, it seemed to me like it was either written for or written by a teenager .. probably the earlier as the writing itself is nice. And, there are some poems that I found interesting and thought-provoking. However, the theme of the book seemed to be falling in love, a short and rather strange interlude of maybe being in a relationship? and a very long part about lost love. Both the falling in love and the lost love sections just seemed overly dramatic. Filled with drama, pathos and angst .. your typical teenage emotions and ideas about love.
Maybe, I'm just in a different point in life. I've been married for I don't even know how many years now and we're happy. Life is good. I love my husband and my kids. But, I'm not madly, crazily, "OMG the whole world revolves around him"-in-love with him anymore .. nor do I worry about him leaving or suffer over other loves lost. So, while some of the poems are nice, I just couldn't relate to many of them. It's kind of like reading about Romeo and Juliet killing themselves (hope I'm not spoilering anyone here) and just thinking .. chill out, relax and sleep a night before taking such a rash decision.
That being said, I love "Passing Time", "Message in a bottle" and "If my life were a day" .. and some others .. more focused on life itself than the one and only love.

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I completely understand how you relate differently to books at different points in your life. That often happens to me when I read YA and the decision the characters make regarding love. It's very different when your older (more mature) and in a solid, comfortable love relationship and not the initial passionate, lusting love situation.

Valerie (darthval) | 411 comments Janina, I totally agree with you. As I was reading, I was thinking that it felt like the a teenager waxing poetic on overly romanticized versions of love. The concepts, and the poetry itself, seemed to lack maturity.

While none of the poems blew me away, there were a few that I enjoyed more than others:

(view spoiler)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Lullabies (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lang Leav (other topics)