19th Century Epic Romances discussion

The Awakening
This topic is about The Awakening
The Awakening- Feb. 2015 > The Awakening- Chapters 9-16

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela Rohde (angelarohde) | 72 comments This thread is for discussing Chapters 9-16 in The Awakening by Kate Chopin.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition | 504 comments Edna had infatuations before she married Leonce and I think she respected him, but was never really in love until she met Robert.
I wonder how much of her love for Robert actually came from her "awakening" during their vacation at the beach, where she learned to swim her own and was able to express herself more freely with the other women there.
Edna seems to have been mildly dissatisfied by her life, but had not reflected upon it until her time without her husband at Grand Isle. He often seemed to leave Edna and the children and go back to work, leaving her to spend time with Robert, who was so much more attentive and really listened to what she said and how she felt about things.
I think Edna saw the possibilities of a more fulfilling and satisfying life with Robert. This also opened her up to being more aware of who she was and what pleased her, such as music and painting as opposed to putting her husband, family and society above her own needs and desires.

Raymunda (raymundaj) I like the moment when the group goes to the beach at night and she realizes that she can swim on her own without anybody holding her and how she overcomes her fear and makes it back to the shore.
I think we've all been through such moments in life and that's when we grow up more self-assured, wiser and stronger.