What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > female respects, then falls in love with older male guardian/ father figure type

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sweet Pea (last edited Jan 30, 2015 08:58PM) (new)

Sweet Pea (terra5151) | 19 comments Ok, so I know what subject I want I just can't find any titles that have it. I have sifted through so many titles! Maybe not using the right key words? Maybe it doesn't exist? Any suggestions are appreciated!
~Fiction- Romance (any sub beside below) (regency is encouraged)
~NOT horror, war time (focused), political (focused), heavily erotic, insperational or wild west please
~Happy or content ending
~NA to Adult
~Audio book and/ or ebook
~A female knows an older male guardian/ father figure type. Comes to know him better by spending time with him and falls in love based on her respect for him. The man doesn't have to be prince charming or handsome. Do like mysterious, silent, brooding, intelligent, Mr Darcy types (But not required).

message 2: by Edward (new)

Edward | 43 comments Little off the path but check out Master/Slave
http://www.amazon.com/Master-Slave-Sp...

message 3: by Sweet Pea (new)

Sweet Pea (terra5151) | 19 comments Edward wrote: "Little off the path but check out Master/Slave
http://www.amazon.com/Master-Slave-Sp..."

Lol, thanks Edward. But not exactly what I'm looking for in this particular search. I'm looking more along the lines of building a mutual relationship through actions, but more on the noble/ gentlemanly/ father figure type of male lead. This ones a little more kinky then I was aiming for. Guess I should add not heavily erotic to the list.

message 4: by Edward (new)

Edward | 43 comments LOL. Give this a shot. It will allow you to search by plot and genre, main character type etc. You can string multiple options together.

http://allreaders.com/booksearcha.asp...

message 5: by Edward (new)

Edward | 43 comments I did a quick search there on with

in love with caretaker/teacher
American Colonial era
girl in 20-30s
male 40-50s

and got a hundred or so hits.

message 6: by Sweet Pea (new)

Sweet Pea (terra5151) | 19 comments Edward wrote: "LOL. Give this a shot. It will allow you to search by plot and genre, main character type etc. You can string multiple options together.

http://allreaders.com/booksearcha.asp..."

Sweet, thanks! I will. Always happy to learn about new book sorting sites. I've just had a heck of a time with this topic for some reason. I have that nagging find a book with this particular theme feeling, you know? Anyone who wants to throw some more suggestions at me, please do!

message 7: by Sweet Pea (new)

Sweet Pea (terra5151) | 19 comments Edward wrote: "I did a quick search there on with

in love with caretaker/teacher
American Colonial era
girl in 20-30s
male 40-50s

and got a hundred or so hits."

Ya, I was just checking that out. This site is awesome! Happy dance :D Hopefully I can sift through and find something, finally! Thank so much will put this site to good use!

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments These Old Shades seems to fit your requests. Also not sure if you'd like these, but the Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King may also suit. The audiobooks for these are very good. Starts with The Beekeeper's Apprentice.

message 9: by Sweet Pea (new)

Sweet Pea (terra5151) | 19 comments Mary! Thank you! I adore Georgette Heyers and have slowly been making my way through her books. But I have had yet to read/ listen to These Old Shades and funny enough that's exaclty what I was looking for! Right under my nose the whole time... I'm also glad you brought up the Mary Russell series since I've been waffling about it for a while. I'll add that to the top of my list as well. Thank you so much! Saved me from some other books that where sounding a little stalkerish creepy to me...

message 10: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 322 comments The Convenient Marriage, also by Georgette Heyer: the main characters are a young girl and a much older man, they get married immediately (that's the premise of the book), but it's for convenience, the love story comes afterwards

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments Yes the convenient marriage is a really good audiobook too, being read by Richard Armitage!

message 12: by Sweet Pea (new)

Sweet Pea (terra5151) | 19 comments Moloch wrote: "The Convenient Marriage, also by Georgette Heyer: the main characters are a young girl and a much older man, they get married immediately (that's the premise of the book), but it's for..."

Thanks, Moloch! Lol, all these awesome Heyer books, I can't beleive I didn't notice. And they are perfect! I just got the convenient marriage because I got a great deal via Whispersync with Kindle Unlimited $3.99! I'll have to wait till I get my credits to get These Old Shades. Ugh, 16 days to go...

message 13: by Sweet Pea (new)

Sweet Pea (terra5151) | 19 comments Mary wrote: "Yes the convenient marriage is a really good audiobook too, being read by Richard Armitage!"

The abridged one is. I may get that one as well because I do like Richard Armitage. But I hate reading/ listening to the abridged versions. Especially if it's my first time, I feel like I'm missing out on something important.

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary (marissa_214) | 131 comments Oh I didn't realize that was the abridged version. It has been a long time since I listened to it!

message 15: by Teri-K (last edited Feb 03, 2015 01:14PM) (new)

Teri-K | 303 comments The Wild Hunt by Elizabeth Chadwick has an "older" guy who marries a girl - 16 I think. Because they did that back in the 1100's. :) There's no rape or anything, he gives her time to adjust and for them to get to know each other. The book really shows how they came to like each other and fall in love. Chadwick writes good historical fiction, and though this one was more romance than most of her others I thought it was excellent.

Also, there's a list here that might help, but I haven't read most of them so I don't know if they're good or not. (And I don't remember The Blue Sword being older guy/younger girl, but it's been a while...)
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

message 16: by Scott (new)

Scott Well, there's always Lolita.

message 17: by Sweet Pea (new)

Sweet Pea (terra5151) | 19 comments Teri-k wrote: "The Wild Hunt by Elizabeth Chadwick has an "older" guy who marries..."

Hi thanks bunches for the recommendation! I was a little weary when you said 16 year old girl, because that is kind of getting into the wierd she is way to young realm. And a story can get really squeamish to me with that young of a h. BUT on reading the reviews it does sound quite intresting! The building of the relationship between he H and h is all important. And sounds as if it is handled tactfully. Which is what I was looking for that building of the relationship! I will give it a try! I'll also sift through the list. Thanks again!

message 18: by Sweet Pea (new)

Sweet Pea (terra5151) | 19 comments Scott wrote: "Well, there's always Lolita."

Scott thanks for the recommendation. But I think this is getting into that wierd "she's WAY too young" realm for me. When I say Father/ Guardian type H, I think I mean more of a maternal type H I guess. Who just happens to be older then the h. Not that she's super young. Thanks though!

message 19: by Rachel (last edited Feb 04, 2015 08:43AM) (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments You could try The Catalpa Tree. A young woman is orphaned and adopted by her father's best friend, who she later forms a relationship with. It's not exactly a happy ending but not horribly sad if I remember correctly.

**Edit: Ok having read the reviews on GR, a lot of people say they cried when they read this book so maybe sadder than I thought, but the plot is similar to what you are looking for!

message 20: by Sweet Pea (new)

Sweet Pea (terra5151) | 19 comments Rachel wrote: "You could try The Catalpa Tree...."
Thanks for the recommendation! It does seem to be what I'm looking for as far as the relationship goes. But the h is so young 14! But I've read the reviews and apparently it's not creepy and handled tactfully. It seems a lot of people thought it was sad, but a very good book! I will be happy to give it a shot, but I'll wait till I'm in a mood for a sad book. Thanks bunches!

message 21: by Teri-K (new)

Teri-K | 303 comments Jessica wrote: "Teri-k wrote: "The Wild Hunt by Elizabeth Chadwick has an "older" guy who marries..."

Hi thanks bunches for the recommendation! I was a little weary when you said 16 year old girl, because that is k..."

I definitely don't read books with underaged/kinky stuff, and I don't like teacher/student romances, etc. (I read Daddy Longlegs when I was young and it may have scarred me for life. lol I thought it was "icky".) But this one really isn't like that. The hero respects her age and they grow together over time. I was quite impressed by it, hopefully you'll like it too. :)

message 22: by Sweet Pea (last edited Feb 04, 2015 06:43PM) (new)

Sweet Pea (terra5151) | 19 comments Teri-k wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Teri-k wrote: "The Wild Hunt by Elizabeth Chadwick has an "older" guy who marries..."

Hi thanks bunches for the recommendation! I was a little weary when you said 16 year old girl, b..."

Thanks! You really got me intrested so I went to look for a copy. Sigh, it wasn't in ebook form :(, AND it's out of print, AND it's in the UK :'( Lol, I got a pretty good copy for a resonable price on amazon though. I just hate getting physical copies because they take up sooo much room (I don't have), but this book piqued my intrests. I relieved that it will be a good book, and not on the creepy side. Thanks again!

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments About The Catalpa Tree, the romance definitely does not begin until the girl is over the age of consent - I also would have been creeped out by it otherwise!! But yes you would have to be in the mood for a sad ending.

message 24: by Sweet Pea (new)

Sweet Pea (terra5151) | 19 comments Rachel wrote: "About The Catalpa Tree, ..."

Thank you for letting me know that! Lol, I was really mixed up about this one. Sounded perfect but I was worried. You put my fears to rest. :)

message 25: by Teri-K (new)

Teri-K | 303 comments Jessica wrote: "Teri-k wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Teri-k wrote: "The Wild Hunt by Elizabeth Chadwick has an "older" guy who marries..."

Hi thanks bunches for the recommendation! I was a little weary when you said 16 y..."

Wild Hunt is worth buying in DT. At least I really hope you think it is. :) Though I read mostly e-books, too.

Here's a list of Regencies with the theme Guardian & Ward. Maybe something there will work for you. I've heard good things about Babe, Lord Calthorpe's Promise and Lady Madcap, but haven't read them. They have plenty of Heyer listed, too.
http://www.allromancewriters.com/subj...

I don't think we've mentioned Emma or Jane Eyre yet, and they shouldn't be left out. Though they may be what started you down this road anyway. I'm not a big Eyre fan, but I enjoy rereads of Emma.

And FWIW I like The Beekeeper's Apprentice quite a lot because Mary was so fun.

message 26: by Sweet Pea (last edited Feb 06, 2015 12:46PM) (new)

Sweet Pea (terra5151) | 19 comments Teri-k wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Teri-k wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Teri-k wrote: "The Wild Hunt by Elizabeth Chadwick has an "older" guy who marries..."

Hi thanks bunches for the recommendation! I was a little weary wh..."

Ugh, accidently deleted my post. Not happy :/

Anywho I think I said...

Thank you soooo much! You've been such a great help! You got me so excited for this book! I keep trying to make the shipping go faster. And praying customs doesn't get a hold of it for some stupid reason.

That list looks great! Going off to find sparkly new story....

Lol, that's funny I love reading Emma too, and not a big fan of Jane Eyre ether.
I was actually reading this really horrible book with a sex= love type plot. I needed to scrub my brain with a good read. I knew I needed a muture H (if I read the H described as a boy again I'm gonna implode). Then I had this "What if..." moment, and I was hooked to the idea (sub-conscience maybe). But scouring the web and GR wasn't panning out. Then I found this group!

Happy dance! So many awesome people helping out! It's such a great idea, and I'm happy to be appart of it now!

message 27: by Jesse (last edited Feb 09, 2015 12:33PM) (new)

Jesse Freedom (neigh) | 250 comments How about Jane Eyre? He's really the guardian of the little girl that Jane is the governess too, but she does respect him and it is one of the most believable romances that I have ever read.

Another good one, although I'm not sure if it's the type that you want, is (view spoiler). It's the second book in a series, is a little creepy at times and has a bit more sexual content then needed but is not heavily erotic.

message 28: by JennyG (new)

JennyG | 552 comments You should post your question in Historical Romance group:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyinmn) | 68 comments The Mark of Merlin by Anne McCaffrey: Merlin is the main character's dog. Anne McCaffrey used to write "soft" romance before her Pern series really took off, and this is one of her best! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 31: by Lee Anne (new)

Lee Anne (ladyofrohan2995) | 182 comments Emma by Jane Austen has a great romance that fits this general description.

message 32: by MomToKippy (last edited Feb 22, 2015 10:51AM) (new)

MomToKippy | 62 comments Golden Urchin Golden Urchin by Madeleine Brent Clean, exciting, HEA

message 33: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (00krystal) | 132 comments I agree Jane Eyre is a great example, but for a contemporary retelling set in the 50s/60s - and with the age difference between the two a little more pronounced in my opinion than in the original Jane Eyre - try The Flight of Gemma Hardy. It's not my favorite adaptation of Jane Eyre, but that was just my personal taste. It was still a very well written story, I thought. Worth a try.

message 34: by Chris (new)

Chris Zable | 10 comments Little Women has a plot thread that goes that way.

message 35: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (hazelfizz) | 8 comments And, how about Robin McKinley? She's got the older-mens trope going in most of her books (for, I'm assuming, RL reasons).

message 36: by Sweet Pea (new)

Sweet Pea (terra5151) | 19 comments Lisa wrote: "And, how about Robin McKinley? She's got the older-mens trope going in most of her books (for, I'm assuming, RL reasons)."

Thanks for the recommendation! Do you know the name of the titles for this theme that she wrote? Or do you have any of her books that you like best? I've not read any of them, but I did stumble across Beauty a while ago and it's been sitting in my wish list for a while...

message 37: by Sweet Pea (last edited Feb 26, 2015 05:31PM) (new)

Sweet Pea (terra5151) | 19 comments Thanks everyone for the great recommendations! I've been happily reading some great stories! And I appreciate the effort of anyone who post a reply!
I admit I've found some real gems with some of the recommended titles and some I found through lists including the ones posted by JennyG. One of these books was Anne's Perfect Husband (Sinclair Bride, #2) by Gayle Wilson Anne's Perfect Husband
I actually really enjoyed this one!
As well as Grim by M.K. Eidem Grim
I just randomly found this one. It is a sifi romance. I highly recommend the audio version! It is amazing! (Truthfully I'm pretty sure the H is much older then the h but I can't remember for sure. And it is instalove in the beginning :p But there is a lot of growth between the two main characters that makes up for it.) It was just really good, so ya...
I will aslo mention The Masqueraders by Georgette HeyerThe Masqueraders
There are lots of Heyer books in my to read pile right now so I'm not going to list them all. But I reallllly liked this one.
I am currently reading a couple of books (at the same time {I am aware it is an awful habit, but that's just how I read}).
One is The Wild Hunt: The Wild Hunt
It really is very good. I'm enjoying it along with a dictionary and google translator. Totally makes all the difference in the depth of the book :)
Another is These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer These Old Shades
As a side note I am reading this one as I have tried the audio version and it is just awful in my opinion.
The Windflower by Laura London is another The Windflower
Others are sitting in a pile waiting to be read. Including some of the ones mentioned in the thread. As well as a few others:
Kindred Spirits by DeAnn Patrick Kindred Spirits
Entwined by Emma Jensen Entwined (I'm not really sure if there is a big age difference, but I was recommended to this by someone who said there was really good character relationship development.)
As well as some books by Laura Kinsale.

message 38: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (hazelfizz) | 8 comments Jessica wrote: "...Thanks for the recommendation! Do you know the name of the titles for this theme"

Off the top of my head,
The Blue Sword (and the prequel The Hero and the Crown, though romance is less of the plot there)
Spindle's End
Rose Daughter has a bit more of the "forbidden" angle to the romance than Beauty does

message 39: by Teri-K (last edited Feb 26, 2015 09:06PM) (new)

Teri-K | 303 comments Jessica wrote: "Thanks everyone for the great recommendations! I've been happily reading some great stories! And I appreciate the effort of anyone who post a reply!
I admit I've found some real gems with some of t..."

Whew. I'm glad you're liking The Wild Hunt. :)

(And it's always nice to "meet" another Heyer fan.)

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm looking them up myself.

ETA- Now that I think of it, Kinsale's Flowers from the Storm may have big age gap. I'm not sure. It does have a relationship that takes it's time developing.

message 40: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (handmaiden) | 391 comments Daddy-Long-Legs, by Jean Webster