The Reader's Bar discussion

The Best She Ever Had (Gibbons Gold Digger Novel #4)
This topic is about The Best She Ever Had
Open for Discussion > February Book Discussion-The Best She Ever Had

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Please post your comments about this book below. Happy Reading!

Beverly | 223 comments I have requested the book from the library.

Beverly wrote: "I have requested the book from the library."

Great! I started reading it already. It is an easy read.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Requested from the library and should have it this week.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Denise wrote: "Beverly wrote: "I have requested the book from the library."

Great! I started reading it already. It is an easy read."

Good to know. Thanks!

Anyone else start reading this one yet?

Beverly | 223 comments Denise wrote: "Anyone else start reading this one yet?"

Still waiting on book from library (needs to come from another branch to my branch)

Natasha | 21 comments Denise wrote: "Anyone else start reading this one yet?"

I'm going to start this weekend.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 04, 2015 05:48PM) (new)

I'm in...
Picking up book this week.

Great! I am looking forward to our discussion.

What are your first impressions of this book?

Natasha | 21 comments Most of the major plot points I saw coming from a mile away. I liked it as just a nice fluffy quick read. I hadn't read the rest of the series and this installment didn't make me feel like I just HAD to pick those up.

Natasha wrote: "Most of the major plot points I saw coming from a mile away. I liked it as just a nice fluffy quick read. I hadn't read the rest of the series and this installment didn't make me feel like I just..."

Yeah, it was a nice quick read. I have read the whole series. I think that each one can be read as a standalone since they are written about one of the sisters. Now I am waiting to see if she does a book about the mother or grandmother.

What do you think of Cynthia?

message 15: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Alleyne | 75 comments I agree it was an easy read. It was predictable especially having read the other 3. Cynthia was a perfect example of how it's so hard to escape something that's been drilled into your head your entire life. She was taught money first, love maybe, so when love came along and trumped everything else, in her youth she couldn't handle it, then as an adult she learned that all the money in the world and she still wasn't happy so why not give love a chance?!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Carolyn wrote: "I agree it was an easy read. It was predictable especially having read the other 3. Cynthia was a perfect example of how it's so hard to escape something that's been drilled into your head your e..."

Well said Carolyn.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I made it to chapter 11. Cynthia was raised with three other sisters who seem to be more down-to-earth and less materialistic. Cynthia is definitely being what she was taught, so what happened? Did the others decide to break free and not Cynthia (yet)?

I can't wait for the background stories to unfold that sheds light on them.

I don't like Cynthia and could not empathize with her yet regarding Clarissa.

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 11, 2015 07:01PM) (new)

Denise wrote: "What are your first impressions of this book?"

Honestly I almost abandoned the book at chapter 1 because of the designer name dropping. It continued throughout but I am trying very hard to ignore it.

I do have to add that I am grateful that there is no foul language or descriptions of sexual encounters. the author handled the encounters very tastefully.

MsG wrote: "I made it to chapter 11. Cynthia was raised with three other sisters who seem to be more down-to-earth and less materialistic. Cynthia is definitely being what she was taught, so what happened? ..."

Yes, the other sisters have already gone through their transformations. I will let you keep reading to find out what happens to Cynthia. lol

MsG wrote: "I made it to chapter 11. Cynthia was raised with three other sisters who seem to be more down-to-earth and less materialistic. Cynthia is definitely being what she was taught, so what happened? ..."

Yeah, I felt the same way about Cynthia. I could not believe some of the things she did and secrets she kept.

Do you think that Yolanda's teachings have any positive points?

What do you think of Korey?

Beverly | 223 comments Denise wrote: "What are your first impressions of this book?"

I started reading last night and I am about 40% into the story.

My first impression is that the author did a good job in the first chapter hooking the reader when Cindy is running her game and Korey shows up.

It is a very easy read - author's writing is smooth and flows well.

But agree that the plot points are predictable.

Beverly | 223 comments Denise wrote: "What do you think of Cynthia?"

Cynthia thinks she is "refined" but she is really loud and coarse.

She is what you call a person who just sucks the joy out of a room.

Beverly | 223 comments Denise wrote: "Natasha wrote: "Most of the major plot points I saw coming from a mile away. I liked it as just a nice fluffy quick read. I hadn't read the rest of the series and this installment didn't make me ..."

How does this book compare to the other three books in this series?

Beverly wrote: "Denise wrote: "Natasha wrote: "Most of the major plot points I saw coming from a mile away. I liked it as just a nice fluffy quick read. I hadn't read the rest of the series and this installment ..."

I would have to say that this one was one of my least favorites. I thought that the first two were good and the last two were just ok. All them are easy reads though.

Beverly wrote: "Denise wrote: "What do you think of Cynthia?"

She is what you call a person who just sucks the joy out of a room."

Yeah, seemed kind of toxic. I guess that is how she earned the Ice Queen title.

Do you think that Cynthia should get a pass for the mistakes she made because she was young?

Beverly | 223 comments I finished this book yesterday.

I thought the beginning was good - good hooks to make me continue reading the story.
The middle part fizzled for me
The resolution of the conflicts happened a little too quickly and tidy for me. Also thought at this point it was more telling than showing. I would have liked to see less time spent on the Las Vegas part where they were spinning their wheels and more time on the "secrets" once they were revealed to all.

I thought the author did a good job in providing the back story on the other sisters (and I actually thought their stories were more interesting).

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Beverly wrote: "Denise wrote: "What do you think of Cynthia?"

She is what you call a person who just sucks the joy out of a room."

HAHAHA!!!! I love the way you describe her here.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Denise wrote: "Do you think that Yolanda's teachings have any positive points?"

Positively make it a point to stay away from Nana!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Predictable but several good twists to prop things up just when they were starting to slump.

This novel did not make me want to read the rest of the series. I like the author's easy style of writing and the fact that she did not use a lot of foul language is a plus.

My curiosity is piqued for the new series coming in September 2015.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Denise wrote: "What do you think of Korey?"

Good father.

Beverly | 223 comments MsG wrote: "Denise wrote: "What do you think of Korey?"

Good father."

I liked Korey too he was a good person.

Beverly | 223 comments Denise wrote: "Do you think that Yolanda's teachings have any positive points?"

Since I did not read the series, in this book alone I did not see that much of Yolanda's teaching or rules.

But if there is a positive point to Yolanda's teaching - everyone should have a goal/plan for what they want out of life. :)

message 36: by Iris (new) - rated it 3 stars

Iris Michaux | 7 comments Book was an easy read, but again I'm in the middle of a series. The mother raised her daughters to be gold diggers but they choose true love instead. The story has a couple of twist and a surprise ending. Great for Valentine's day

Was anyone else surprised by how the book ended?

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I admit my mouth did hang open for several seconds. Maybe make DVDs for the future?

I was not surprised however by the others-they were predictable.

Beverly | 223 comments Denise wrote: "Was anyone else surprised by how the book ended?"

I was not surprised how the book ended.
I do think I missed some of the nuances of some of the scenes as it was the last book in the series.

I got the feeling that Cynthia was a mess in her scenes in the prior books but I just knew her for what I saw in the book.

I really liked when Korey's son said I committed incest - I am going to hell. I thought he sounded very genuine.